back to article Parliament to probe military kit issues

A new inquiry has begun into the way the UK's Ministry of Defence (MoD) procures and maintains the nation's defence equipment. Parliament's Defence committee - a cross-party group of fourteen MPs - says it's happy for people to email them with information of interest. According to the Committee's announcement the inquiry will …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Zmodem

smell like something

why would a country obay another country rules if theyre at war with them. theres enough engineers in briton to make any part of any engine. or to just make the whole engine anyway. it wouldnt even cost £100m to research and design and produce

2. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects
    Paris Hilton

Wot wee realy kneed

Is sumon to go into thu banks from the army and sort out everythink. That is the way the guverment should do.

3. Zmodem

got it. with a meh

obey and britain. would change nothing. countrys is a singular in my use. while countries is multiple. day without constant coffees and a big chicken salad. bacon and mushroom sarnie,. harder the die hard. take all 48 anadin extra on the way home

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get the format right

Word or RTF? Tsk, tsk. What's the matter with plain text? I know that the international standard ODF is too much to ask.

You can comply with Joint Services Publication 101 - The Defence Writing Guide (no, really) for extra brownie points. Link here:

http://www.defac.ac.uk/eDW/edw_welcome_01.htm

5. M7S
    Thumb Up

Just send them each a copy of your book

It wont cost much, after all I got my copy from the remainder bin,

Oh, sorry.

But I did enjoy reading it, and it should prove a good primer for them. Perhaps you could get a role as an advisor...

6. Timothy Atkins

A few things.......

You can't really be proposing that the blackhawk would be more suitable. Its a medium lift helicopter when the Lynx is a light helicopter.

By the way having work in the defence industry even if the government decided to buy some 'off the shelf' kit from overseas the MoD would want to make a few 'adjustments' and then keep changing their mind so doubling (at least) the cost.

Also the Future Lynx engine is made by a joint venture of Roll Royce so its not like we wouldn't be able to make it here if we really needed.

7. Zmodem

yeahhhhhhhh

turn on your ipod nano and listen to your drum n bass

8. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

So how long would a war have to last...

...until autarky in "deep engine knowledge locked away in overseas brains" became a factor? Dreaming of holding out against the forces of darkness à la "Battle of Britain"? 21st century protip: Win your airwar the first day.

9. Mark
    Boffin

Send 'em DOCX or MSOOXML...

Hey, they didn't say WHICH version of Word.

Heck, if you got the deluxe version use your own DTD and send that one (sans DTD).

WHY is text, plain old ASCII text not suitable? I don't know of ANY office document system which cannot manage plain ASCII text.

Mind you, I suspect they'd assume there's no such thing as UTF or EBCDIC.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Engines

The future lynx engines will be maintained at Fleetlands...

11. Dave
    Coat

Military kit overpriced and outdated?

Someone should write a book about it...

12. Zmodem

plain text

maybe they have a filter on email clients or firewall. and word and rtf are allowed from public addresses

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like