back to article Siemens shows slim, sexy solar-powered cordless concept

Siemens reckons we'll all soon be keeping our phones topped up with sunlight, and it's designed a concept handset, the Solar, to show how such a device might look. Siemens Solar Siemens' Solar: let there be light... There's no calculator-style tiny solar panel on top of the phone - instead, it's entire face is one big …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Solar Cells...

Don't solar cells give off a lot of heat ?... Won't it cause severe burns everytime you put it to your ear ???

2. Farai

Drooooool!

Oh my word! It looks nice if nothing else!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

My phone....

...sits on the desk for 90% of the day.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fucking idiot...

They are designed to absorb power not emit it! (its warm cos its left in the sun!)

5. Craig Wallace
    Thumb Up

mmmmm, but

Not sure how useful a phone that will only ever get charged when lying on a desk will be? Give it a windy-up handle too :)

6. Bassey

Even better...

An even better idea would be to have the solar cells built into the cradle along with a battery and a few usb ports. That way the battery in the cradle can be charging all the time (okay, maybe not when it's dark but you know..) and you can just put the phone back in the cradle when it needs recharging - as we all do now. The USB ports could be used to charge a mobile phone, MP3 player etc. over night as well.

In fact, why have the cradle. Someone just create a device that is basically just a large rechargeable battery covered in solar cells with several USB Ports. With suitable adaptors you could charge all your kit off it whenever you needed.

Does this constitute proof that I came up with the idea?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

@Fucking Idiot...

Solar cells are particularly inefficient at absorbing power... Therefore retain and emit the heat that they 'should' absorb... that is why you can heat your water with them strapped to your roof... Now... as no water is criculating through the phone, exchanging the heat in the cells with the said water..; the phone will give of the heat by radiating it... i.e. it will be hot...

So before you decide to call people idiots... consider your argument a little first... and next time you are next to a solar cell... do me a favor and put your face on it...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@@Fucking Idiot...

While I am not the AC who originally called you one, I would still uphold his original point (see title) - not realising there is a difference between solar cells (producing leccy) and solar panels (heating water) is surely a very basic flaw in *your* argument...

Boffin-material, apparently...

In other news: I absolutely want that phone!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Still a Fucking Idiot...

A Solar Cell (cell as in battery ie electric!) Absorbs Energy.. IT DOES NOT EMIT ENERGY!

Perhaps you would like to compare any other matt black object with a solar cell left in the sun, which is hotter? clue; one is transforming some energy into electricity which is carried away by wires the other isn't! So yes black objects get hot in the sun WOW! your a Fucking Genius!

Point is that an electric solar cell does not get as hot as a matt black object as it is transforming say 9% of the energy into electricity, so it'll be 9% cooler!

as for Solar Water Heaters they are not Cells! and oddly the water cools them down as they transfer heat to the water! so as above any matt black object left in the sun would be hotter, ie black roof tiles would be hotter than the solar water heater.

The Solar Cell on my calculator, is not hotter than the rest of the calculator!

This phone would be cooler (say 9% energy converted) than a non solar cell black version (no energy converted) if both were left in the sun!

Argument Considered, you still FAIL.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

@@@Fucking Idiot..

To add to my argument... Solar panels are made of more than one Solar Cell... Not realising that might be a basic flaw in your 'comment'.

No boffin' thanks

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Still a fucking idiot

Yes Solar water heaters are not cells... they a Solar panels made of Solar cells... and water may cool them down, but 80°C or 70°C is still hot in my book...

I also assume the Cell powering this phone is charging a battery bigger than the one in your calculator... i.e. more power, more heat...

I appreciate is ABSORBS energy, but not all of it is used, what happens to the rest then... it has to go somewhere... it is given off/emitted.

emit

Verb

[emitting, emitted]

1. to give or send forth (heat, light, a smell, etc.)

2. to produce (a sound) [Latin emittere to send out]

Collins Essential English Dictionary 2nd Edition 2006 © HarperCollins Publishers 2004, 2006

12. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Nomination for FOTW (or iDiot of the week)

i.e. more power, more heat...

HAHAHAHA you sir, are the funniest moron I have ever met! well done...

Solar power means energy comes from the sun, bigger battery does not mean the sun produces more energy!

Think! if it were dangerous why would they make it!

This thing will not be any worse than a normal black phone left on a windowsill...

13. Heinz
    Stop

Cradled?

"To be fair, this isn't a mobile, but one of Siemens' Dect cordless boys, and the vendor reckons it'll get enough exposure sat in its cradle to keep the batteries full."

Did you spot the clever bit there?

If it needs to sit iin the cradle to get enough exposure, why not have the cradle connected to the mains - so that the battery could be .... er ..... charged?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like