back to article eBay Q3 income - Now with profit

Internet auctioneer eBay has reversed a loss from its third quarter last year, but warned that its full-year revenues would fall short of previous estimates. Net income during eBay's third quarter ending September 30 was $492.2m – a marked improvement over a year-ago loss of $935.6m. The auction site's Q3 2007 finances had …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jacob Lipman

Good deal!

"and $380 cash for two Danish classified companies."

I'll take four Danish classified companies, thank you.

2. The Voice of Reason
    Thumb Up

PayPal Credit

I'm usually only too ready to join those who slag off eBay for their sneaky policies, greedy charges, dreadful customer service etc. But for a change I'll offer them a little credit where it's due ;

Perhaps eBay are putting some of their profits to good use at last. An email I received from them yesterday indicated that now "When you pay with PayPal, your item will be protected to its full value (including postage) - no more caps, no more seller criteria to keep track of."

There are still numerous exclusions & provisos in the small print (which is comparable in length to the complete works of William Shakespeare, & equally hard to fathom) such as "intangible" items not being eligible - but I must say, this does seem like a step in the right direction.

I actually hate them a little less now ;)

3. Whitter
    Boffin

Correct implication

"The company has struggled as of late to retain buyers and sellers migrating to bidding-free sites like Amazon.". True, but the implication isn't quite right.

It's more like "The company has struggled as of late to retain buyers and sellers migrating to lower-total-fee sites like Amazon."

4. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Competition ?

"We took a number of steps during the quarter to further strengthen our business and better align our cost structure to invest and compete."

Compete with who exactly ?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like