back to article Firefox 3.1 beta arrives with JavaScript booster turned off

Mozilla pushed out the first beta of Firefox 3.1 on Tuesday night but the release omits some much anticipated improved JavaScript functionality. The preview edition of the open source web browser is intended to allow developers to run a slide rule over the software as well as giving the public at large a chance to take the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Peter
    Stop

English ( british )

although quite annoyingly it isnt available as english british.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

English (British)

Shouldn't the differentiator be "English (North American)" ? Leave standard English as belonging to the Brits, thanks.

3. Bruno Girin
    Thumb Up

@Peter

File a bug for that then. Seriously, that's one of the major benefits of open source software: you can file a bug (or request for enhancement) and have the developers take it seriously. The Firefox crew are usually very responsive on bug reports: I've filed a few and have always had a first reply within 48 hours. That's one of the main reasons I use Firefox (that and useful extensions like AdBlock, WebDeveloper, etc): if I'm not happy with some of the features, I can report it to the developers and discuss it with them.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tab-switching shortcut?

Ctrl-tab. (Firefox versions 2.x and 3.0.x)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

@ Peter

Surely you mean "isn't available as English British" </Pedant>

6. KenBW2
    Alert

@AC English (British)

+1 for English (North American)

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tab-switching shortcut

Ctrl + PageUp/PageDown has worked since forever too.

8. Benny
    Happy

@Bruno @Pete

not really a bug, its called English....seriously...and on that note...

With the implementation of the Eurodollar underway in Europe these last few years, the European Union is trying to find new ways to standardize practices in Europe.

The European Commission has just announced an agreement whereby English will be the official language of the EU rather than German which was the other possibility.

Conversion to European English

As part of the negotiations, Her Majesty's Government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has accepted a five year phase-in plan that would be known as "Euro-English".

In the first year, "s" will replace the soft "c". Sertainly, this will make the sivil servants jump with joy. The hard "c" will be dropped in favour of the "k". This should klear up konfusion and keyboards kan have 1 less letter.

There will be growing publik enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replaced with "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20% shorter.

In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be ekspekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of the silent "e"s in the language is disgraseful, and they should go away.

By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" with "z" and "w" with "v". During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "o" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou" and similar changes vud of kors be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters.

After zis fifz yer, ve vil hav a reli sensibl riten styl. Zer vil be no mor trubl or difikultis and evrivun vil find it ezi to understand ech ozer. Ze drem vil finali kum tru! And zen world!

9. Trix
    Pirate

Why was that old chestnut posted

Jesus what are the mods on? That stupid "European English" thing has been around for at least 10 years.

As for English language versions, I totally second "US English" and ("International") English as language options. Us colonials spell proper too.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Benny

So ultimately, the Europe will end up speaking LOLCat?

11. BioTube
    Stop

It's "English English", not standard

English English is spoken by a minority of English speakers - a larger number speak US English. Besides, Mozilla's based over here.

12. mittfh

TraceMonkey

I don't know about the extent to which it's been implemented, but they do appear to have shipped some form of Javascript JIT compilation:

about:config

Yes, I do know what I'm doing...

Search for JIT

Change both options to True

Now, anyone know any really heavy javascript intensive sites, so I can see if those are just dummy options at the moment, or if they actually do anything?

13. Adam H
    Gates Horns

What about Canadian English

We're always left out and have to use the yankee's version. Boo.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like