back to article T-Mobile in court over Truphone call blocks

Truphone got its hour in court yesterday, though judgement in the case - the VoIP operator has applied for an interim injunction to stop T-Mobile blocking its customers from dialling Truphone numbers - is not expected until Monday morning. The suit alleges (pdf) that even though Truphone has been issued a range of mobile …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Danny Thompson

No way T-Mobile ....

What absolutely shabby behavior on T-Mobile's behalf. I am surprised as well as disgusted that any network company refuses to route calls. That practise, if allowed to continue, will only bring in anarchy to the networks in this country.

No, the judge should set the precedent as a warning to any other networking company that fancies its chances. He should award in the favour of Truphone and fine T-Mobile the maximum amount he can.

As a T-Mobile customer, and not even bothered about Truphone, on a matter of principle I do not want to see this get past the courts.

2. Morely Dotes

An optional judgement

Allow T-Mobile to choose: either connect to *any* number dialed by T-Mobile customers (other than those identified by officially-designated law enforcement officers as fruadulent, such as the US$25/minute "hidden toll" calls to the Bahamas), or cease doing business of any kind whatsoever in any territory under the jurisdiction of Commonwealth courts. If T-Mobile chooses to withdraw from the Commonwealth, then they are required to bear all costs of converting their existing customers to other networks (of the customers' choice) in a speedy fashion, with the minimum inconvenience to customers.

It seems quite reasonable to allow the network operator a choice. After all, there is nothing that compels T-Mobile to do business in the Commonwealth, other than a desire for profits.

3. Jim Sissel

Let's all jump off a cliff

"...the other UK mobile network operators have all agreed to interconnect at Truphone's rates"

So if everybody else jumps off a cliff then you would too?

I'm not saying this is what's happening but the article really doesn't give enough information.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

sounds like protecting an empire to me

Artical doesn't goive much to go on, and to be honest can't be arsed to look up the facts, just want to gripe about Telcos protecting thier empires rather than look to diverse and look for new revenue streams.

Take VOIP and some UK telco's asking Nokia to remove the VOIP feature from the Handsets. Why? well obviously protect profits, damnit at the expense of allowing me to have full freedom.

French Telcom, have broadband and Mobile infrastucture, why can't I ditch BT as a landline take up good ole FT and have one Number which i can either use at home as a land line or when out of the house it switches to the Mob(il)e network, would save me some pennies i'm sure, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO how would BT and FT survive without the addtional charges.

Data access what a waste of money that is, crap speeds, crap display,crap pricing model, and they would like me to watch TV on my Mob(il)e!! not on your nelly, the license fee to watch a proper telly is high enough with out you stripping my wallet bare. I wouldn't mind catching a bit of Telly while sat in an airport, train station, or even on my lunch break, but i would be bankrupt by the end of the billing period

Int Roaming, Erm do the big Telco's pretty much dominate the global market? so why oh why are you fleecing me out of the lint left in my pocket to use you networks in another country? Thankfully not my bill to pay but in April my works Voda bill was £1,300

all i can say i Greedy fuckers

5. Jags

anyone for prevailing market rate?

here's a simple solution:

truphone or whatever MUST accept prevailing market rate for interconnect( from everyone not just t-mobile ) OR they just close their shop & make room for genuine businesses...

6. silverguy

who decides market rate?

Jags, truphone is a geniune business, its an idiotic statement to imply they are not, based on the lack of knowledge you pertain too. Truephone and "whatever" how you equivalently put it... are more competitive than the cartel that the current mobile market seems to have surcome too.

iam all for people making money , but this is about greedy and over extented use of current power....

The internet makes it simple to make cheaper and free calls. And Iam ashamed to say i was a T-mobile customer (they charged pounds for minutes of international calls).

7. Stu Pid

Agree

I agree with most of the above comments, being a T-Mobile customer and having them randomly charge me for calls which should be included in my call plan, I'm really upset with them for trying to charge me when using a service that allows me to call my friend who's moved abroad.

The sooner my contract runs out the better, the network's rubbish too, frequently get messages saying emergency calls only and limited service. I can't even log onto their website properly, shabby operation all round really.

8. This post has been deleted by its author

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Coercion by the regulator.

"...cannot expect the Mobile Network Operators to allow any of their customers to bypass their means of generating revenues..."

Not voluntarily, no, which is why the regulator had to get coercive about reasonable provision of MAC codes to allow number transferability between providers. The companies involved will always try and lock users into their own charges and that's why the regulator exists: to curtail obvious abuses of dominant market positions.

10. bills2

Verdict out, in Truphones favour...

www.voipuser.org/forum_topic_10330.html

Will make some waves?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like