back to article Gates predicts 'significant' US recession

The oracle of Redmond Bill Gates is back, predicting the US economy will suffer a "fairly significant recession" and unemployment will surpass nine per cent. Bloomberg reports the Microsoft chairman-come-Windows-pitchman offered dreary divinations of American job rates to gathered alumni at the centennial celebration of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Geoff Mackenzie

I think, in all seriousness,

640Kb should be enough for anyone.

2. Chad H.

oh look

Bill Gates is repeating what a lot of other folk are saying.

This is newsworthy because?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

Spam email has been solved as predicted

Unfortunately for him, it was Google that has solved it...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Yes, but not until after the election

So it won't be an election issue. Infact Bush/McCain can claim success in 'fixing' the problem with NOOOO negative consequences at all, yeh, NONE!

Good grief what if McCain wins and we have 4 more years of this.

5. Edward Rose

philanthropist?

If they were so generous and selfless they wouldn't be so rich.

Why is it that giving away 0.1% of your cash gets much more thanks then lets say 20% of your free time?

This isn't a direct hit at the individuals (they don't have to give a penny away - a lot don't), just the way most media seems to hype just how generous these individuals are for giving away less (by value to themselves) than the vast majority of other individuals, and ignores the work so many others do. Oh well, roll on the retaliation...

6. arran

he also said

the internet was a fad...

looks like the financial crisis will be over sooner then we thought.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The New Nostradamus

Talk about 'Stating the Bleeding Obvious!'. Hello Mr Gates. America is already in a recession. This moron is only coming out with this now as he has lost a little of his 'imaginary' money!.

And, as far as Gates is concerned, the spam problem has been solved. The key on the tin is much simpler to use now, and will not snap off 90% of the time!

8. Rick
    Linux

Agreed

Just like he predicted the VISTA was the future of computing OS's. Will believe it when I see it.

>/ TUX cause he knows whats really going to happen.

9. Pascal Monett Silver badge

All is well then

Gates has predicted misery for everyone else, so I'm reassured that everything will be fine.

Thanks, Bill, that's just the word I needed to regain confidence in the market !

10. Pete

And there was that book

The Way Forward came out in 95 was it? first edition had nothing at all to say about the internet, he got that wrong as well.

11. Chris

That's taking the piss!

If he's only just realised that, M$ are very definitely better off without him!

12. Peter Gold badge
    Thumb Up

Gates, awarded an honorary degree from Harvard in 2007 after dropping out in 1975

Classic line, thanks.

13. Pete
    Happy

Spealling

I try not to criticise people's spelling, after all it's communication that counts old boy, but It's such a long time since I've seen someone get the old led / lead thing wrong. Gave me a warm fuzzy feeling of being back there in school, that's all.

14. Lou Gosselin

Unemployment figures

The reg should have pointed out that it is widely accepted that the US official unemployment figured quoted from the BLS are completely misleading at face value. I'm sure some of the audience may not be aware of this.

The 6% figure represents those who have been laid off in the past 6 months, qualify for and are receiving government unemployment checks. If one takes any job, even fixing the neighbor's computer for pay or selling something on ebay, then one looses unemployed status (at least if the income is reported). Most of those who've been fired, left voluntarily, just graduated, finished a contract, etc do not qualify for government unemployment and are not considered unemployed, even when in fact they are.

What this means is that official employment figures are greatly under reported, some say by as much as 100%, but 10% is closer to the truth than 6% being quoted in this article.

As for Bill Gates, it's a little late in the game to be making novel claims.

15. This post has been deleted by its author

16. Prag Fest
    Thumb Up

And let me guess...

...upgrading to Windows 7 will help us all overcome these problems.

17. Darren Starr
    Gates Horns

Never trust the financial advice of a self made billionair

Be careful, this guy simply can't be trusted when it comes to money, he's lost bunches of it recently. In fact, he lost more last week than I will ever see in my whole life!

Umm... wait... didn't he also make all that money as well?

18. Eddie Edwards
    Pirate

@ Edwards

Why do you assume that the B&MG foundation (a) only represents 0.1% of his wealth and (b) doesn't use any of his free time?

I admire Gates more than I admire some "lady who lunches" who never did a day's work in her life but spends her ample free time socializing in the name of charity.

19. Hans
    Coat

Willy Gates?

The lowest form of scum on this planet!

Mine's the tuxedo with the Apple pocket square, sir!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like