back to article Taser rival offers cops 'Trade in your Taser' zapgun deal

An aggressive newcomer is muscling in on everyone's favourite cattleprod-enforcement firm, Taser International. Stinger Systems says its "advanced electro sparc-pulsed" zap weaponry is much safer for the victim miscreant, and is offering American police forces a cheap "trade in your Taser" deal. According to Stinger: Rather …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Warhelmet

Earthing

I am going to start to wear chainmail over ptfe and make sure that I am properly earthed.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Suggest using that phrase more!

"Jitter-jolt-justice", or JJJ for short. Nice.

// Anon-lite because ... well duh!

3. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Coat

Shocker handcuffs?

For a moment I thought this was an update on the poor Canadian woman whose sex store products got stolen!

/Forgiveth me, for tis after the noon of Friday, and the pub doth calleth!

4. pc
    Alien

Wow!

Two 2000AD references in one week.

Tharg will be pleased..

5. Avian
    Thumb Down

It's...

good to see healthy competition in the devices of torture market... wouldn't want to product stagnation would we?

6. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Down

Um

Surely the 'Band-It' counts as a torture device? If you have put someone in handcuffs, they are effectively detained. Shocking them then has little actual purpose beyond torture - and will probably prove quite tempting to interrogators, as it'll be perceived as 'safe' (unlike whacking them round the chops with a baton)... not to mention not leaving marks.

7. Ash

@Ian Ferguson

That depends on the cuffs. At the moment, cuffs are placed around both wrists behind a person's back. I guess this makes moving someone, sitting them in a car, removing clothing for searches (if appropriate) difficult.

I would think, without seeing pictures, that this "cuff" is a simple manacle with a discharge device inside it, so it only need be placed on one limb. General mobility is not impared, and the device need not be removed for any reason until the detainee is properly within a station holding cell.

Safer all-round, I think.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

how long until the first death

Oh wait, it wasn't our fault. It was the crim. If they hadn't stuck their tongue out at the coppers they wouldn't have had to zap them 42,000 times.

riiiight.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How much are weapon companies paying you>?

First you promote a gun as being one which "Judge Dredd would love" then this you tie in with the Strontium Dog. Surely someone is paying you to popularise these things?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

bad idea

The problem, as with any electric stun weapon, is that they are NOT non-lethal. OK maybe 99% of the population would be fine being jolted by them, but there are still masses of people out there who are not in perfect health, who could die from an electric shock. (as an example, an electric shock direct to your muscles is very different to one that is diffused through fat, anyone overweight who's ever tried one of those electric exercise belts knows how painful they are)

With guns, at least you know you are actively trying to kill someone when you shoot them, but with stun weapons they have been marketed as a nice safe alternative! They get used in a much wider variety of situations, on a much wider variety of people. Would a student who insisted on speaking past their allotted time at a political debate be shot?

I'd hate to be in the police when the news hits that someone in an interrogation room, chained to a desk, was shocked to death, as that would but it about on par with china's law enforcement techniques.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

As used on the famous Nelson Mandella

Buy it, read it.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Ian Ferguson

I remember seeing a similar device on TV a while back. Instead of stun-handcuffs, it was more of a stun girdle. The concept was that it could be used to restrain someone on the walk into and out of the courthouse during high-profile trials (thus eliminating the silliness of throwing their lawyer's suit coat over the accused's wrists to hide the handcuffs). From a comfort and appearance standpoint, the idea is it's supposed to be something the wearer would prefer (well, unless they decide to run, I suppose).

The show in question also showed the certification process one particular police department used for the operators. Before their officers were allowed to operate the device, they had to strap it on and take a test run as the recipient. Cut to shots of big burly officers, each certain they can handle it better than the last guy, swaggering across a heavily padded floor. About the time you wonder about the padding, someone pushes the "crumple up into a whimpering mass" button on the remote.

Coat icon because mine is the one without the batteries and high-voltage supply sewn into the lining.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What about nets?

Would probably be a little bit safer for all concerned.

Or a spidee web gun, in pink.

That's the other thing, all these weapons should come in pink, just to discourage others from using the device if taken from the police. It would also discourage the police from using it unless absolutely necessary.

In fact the police could be dressed in a charming light pink perhaps to show they are not enforcers but rather upholders of the peace.

14. RW
    Joke

I'm taking up a collection

To buy one for Sarah Bee, in Sarah Palin Red.

[Aside: Funny thing, that Ms. Palin, the arch-rightwinger, likes Red, the color favored by the commies. Talk about a (political) coat of many colors!]

15. Frank

Second-Hand Market ??

Does this mean I'll be able to buy a second-hand ex-police Taser from them?

If they're going to take in all those Tasers on a trade-in basis then there should be a lively second-hand market, maybe as non-guaranteed job lots on E-Bay.

16. Oleg
    Alert

The end of era Taser technology?

PULL DOWN GUN vs TASER and STINGER

See http://PullDownGun.narod.ru

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like