back to article US woman shot by cast iron stove

Here's top tip for those of you who like to have the odd firearm around the house: Don't put live rounds wrapped in newspaper in your cast iron stove and then throw a match in. That's exactly what Cory Davis, 56, of Sekiu in Washington state did. According to the Peninsula Daily News she'd "just finished stoking her cast-iron …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Oliver Humpage
    Stop

Unlikely

Mythbusters tested the "bullet on a campfire" myth, and found the bullet exited the fire with a pretty low velocity: the reason being, there was nothing to take the recoil when the powder lit. They also found a bullet in a hot oven wouldn't even make it through the glass door.

More likely the woman just got shot (maybe by herself?) and wanted to hide the fact.

http://kwc.org/mythbusters/2007/08/episode_85_red_rag_to_a_bull_h.html

2. James O'Shea
    Paris Hilton

can't it be both?

Can't it be that the Lizard Army is mellowing out and wants to raise the overall IQ of humanity?

Perhaps they're just practicing for operations against a moose-hunting, wolf-hating, Darwin-disliking, in-duh-vidual from slightly to the north of that location?

Paris 'cause she's got more brains than both in-duh-viduals... combined.

3. Michael Jones
    Alert

WTF?

Wow - what a great piece of near Darwinism

4. Nick

Mythbusters

IIRC, Mythbusters already proved that ammunition in a stove can be dangerous, possibly fatal given a large enough round!

5. An ominous cow herd

What's the point?

It just doesn't make sense, why would the machines kill the Darwin nominees? Those should be the easiest to control, on the long run.... Or do they think the power output from the smart ones is stronger?

Hmmm....

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Very philosophical

>Davis offered: "There's always that one problem stray. And of course, it got me."

I reckon that's a damn good attitude to have.

7. Alexander

Guns don't kill people...

... stoves do.

8. andy
    Go

Death penalty for stove?

If she hadn't survived would the stove have been given the death penalty?

9. Warhelmet

And what are the chances of that happening?

I once had a bonfire fire a conker at me.

I, for one, welcome our new cast-iron pot-bellied overlords.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Maybe it's just me

But that seems like a basic firearms safety issue, in that you should be able to account for all your rounds (and weapons I guess) all of the time. There shouldn't be that "one problem stray" because you should know where it is, ergo not a stray!

11. Wonderkid
    Joke

Buttshot?

Sorry!

12. Stuart
    Go

I for one...

... welcome our new iron clad, ammo pumping overlords.

May death come swiftly to their enemies!

13. Scott
    Paris Hilton

RIse

I think if it was a rise of the machines it would of killed her, so i'd go with Darwin award where she got lucky as opposed to most Darwin winners that are truely unlucky and stupid of course.

14. Marvin the Martian
    Thumb Up

Q: you lose a bullet in the kitchen

A1: you keep looking until you find it?

A2: you look vaguely down, don't see it, continue life?

Choices, choices.

15. Paul Murphy
    Coat

round /bullet

The round is the bullet, metal casing, propellant and 'cap', so the round went off and the bullet hit her.

< /pedant>

Still - reminds me of the Darwin award story of someone using a .22 round as a fuse in their vehicle, and shooting themselves in the knee.

Mines the one with the round bullet hole in it.

ttfn

16. Brett Harris
    Coat

And would....

...the stove get upset at being put in irons??

17. Toby Rose
    Alert

She might never have noticed ...

... If she was frying popcorn.

18. Bassey
    Alert

"There's always that one problem stray. And of course, it got me."

Does this mean she's done this sort of thing before?

19. Nic Brough
    Happy

Thanks

Now I need to get a clean "wipe coffee off the screen" cloth.

On a serious note, this sort of thing is why I reckon the US needs to re-evaluate it's gun-toting amendment. It's pretty clear that it needs to be changed to something like "you have the right to bear arms once you have demonstrated a full understanding of how to use and look after weaponry" (I'm not getting into the pro/anti thing, it's not relevant here)

Some samples of lessons:

Do not look down the barrel to find out if a round is in it, and do not try to work it loose with the trigger.

Do not point a weapon at someone unless you are prepared to kill them

Do not play "duck season" "wabbit season"

Those nice little metal things that go on the inside go bang if you burn or heat them

Do not play Russian Roulette with automatics

On the other hand, we'd be sadly deprived of some fantastic Darwin Awards nominations...

20. Christopher E. Stith

22 gauge shotgun round or .22 rifle/pistol round?

A 22 gauge shotgun would be a rather rare thing compared to a 22 caliber (0.22 inch diameter) rifle or pistol. The .22 LR rimfire and .22 center fire rounds are small, cheap, and common. A 22 gauge shotgun would be just sightly smaller than the common 20 gauge shotgun (gauge being a measure of how many lead balls of that size it takes to weigh a pound).

I doubt this woman has a 22 gauge shotgun or any shells for one, or that she'd be able to overlook one wrapped in newspaper. A .22 long rifle round is easy to overlook if one isn't careful.

21. Law
    Flame

sorry... misread the article

"just finished stoking her cast-iron stove to heat her home when something inside it exploded"

Replace stoking with stroking and you can see how my mind wondered... after that, everything was an innuendo... my bad.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

@Oliver Humpage

Right-o, just like Mythbusters "proved" that rounds fired up in the air couldn't hurt you. I notice *they* were standing behind heavy plastic shields.

I'd think if the cartridge was resting suitably against the back wall of the stove, it would find plenty enough to recoil against, plus it looks like the stove was still open and she was still pretty close having just put the newspaper in.

We just had a kid killed when he was trying to hammer a .30-06 rifle round into a chair. The link's expired from the local paper, though.

23. Mike Moyle
    Coat

RotM?

Clearly, the cast iron stove is the "cranky old-timer" of the machine uprising:

"...You goddam young Renaults today don't know nothin' about nothin'! Ya don't get all fancy-schmantzy with yer throttle -- ya just shoot the sonsabitches... Goddam young punks...! *muttermumble*"

24. RichardB

Oh come on

All you saying she should know exactly where each round is...

How many knives do you have that you think are in the kitchen. and how many knives in a £5 box..?

25. Thomas Baker
    Heart

Ovens - Contents, etc.

That's not the most frightening thing to ever come out of an oven though, my wife's cooking is lethal! Shallow wound to the calf!? Try lasagne to the oesophagus! Lightweight Americans, I don't know...

WTF is this icon supposed to be? Reminds me of Koolaid, ET and Morse Code.

26. ArfinGreebly

Gun Toting?

@Nic Brough,

Well there *was* a time in the US when arms were common enough that you grew up in a culture that pretty much integrated safety into the commonplace aspect. I suspect, if you go back a few years, that the UK enjoyed such a period, at least regionally.

Of course, you're always going to have idiots. I grew up with several. Never had one die from firearms. Had several die from cars + booze, a few from drugs, a couple from sporting accidents. We still kill more people with cars, even with lots of training and practice and licensing. You can't legislate common sense, and when you breed it out of the culture you're going to have increasing amounts of entertaining fail.

BTW, I don't reckon she "shot herself" using any kind of actual firearm, as the muzzle velocities, even from a .22 pistol, aren't going to leave the round in a wound shallow enough for you to pluck the bullet out yourself before going to hospital.

Failing to account for all the rounds . . . ? Easy enough with .22 cartridges if they're "bulk packed" loose in counts of 200 or more. Most of mine are in bulk packs of 400-500, so it would be quite possible to spill a handful and never know if you'd recovered them all.

However, just wadding up a sheet of newspaper that had been under the rounds? Without at least a cursory check first? . . . That's not terribly prudent. I mean, if she had leaned in to apply a poker to the fire, and the "shallow wound" had been on either side of her nose . . .

Very different story.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

no backing

The scholar Alvin Kernan served as an enlisted sailor in the USN in WW II, chiefly on aircraft carriers. His memoir of the service mentions the hazardous duty of working the incinerator, when the debris to burned might include stray rounds. Without a snug chamber, a round that went off would not have the velocity to penetrate the incinerator door; on the other hand it could well penetrate the human just who had just opened said door to add more trash.

Admittedly these were not .22 rounds, more likely .30 and .50,

28. mr.K
    Happy

And thank you Nic Brough

"Do not play Russian Roulette with automatics"

That is a nice quote I will start to use, with your permission. Got a nice ring to it, maybe as a quit message or something. Right up there with "And one more thing: It's been emotional."

29. Robert Hill

Palin's constituency...

Without a doubt, we can predict which party this woman will be voting for in November...wonder if she knows a better moose recipe than Palin herself?

30. Dave The Cardboard Box

Shallow wound to the calf?

Missed her brain by 2 and a half feet.

31. Nexox Enigma

Re: Do not play Russian Roulette with automatics

"""Do not play Russian Roulette with automatics"""

I actually went to school with someone who did exactly that. And from what I hear, it isn't terribly uncommon.

A better rule might be "Don't play with guns." They're fun and all, but you should know what you're doing. And that includes knowing that it's a bad idea to point one at your own head.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Next time could be worse ...

Imagine getting t-bagged by a AGA?

That's a world of pain and humilation.

Mines the bulletproof one with the Battlefield 2 DVD in.

33. jake Silver badge

It could have been a .22 shot shell.

They are known as "snake shot" around here, but in other parts of the country as "rat shot". Pretty bloody useless at any distance, but if one went off in a stove it could quite possibly lodge one or more of the small shot in the skin (smaller pellets require less force to penetrate). See:

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?loadNo=0039

I usually have a box of these in my ammo box. You can shoot varmints in the horse chow or off the roof beams without making holes in the barn. They don't ricochet to speak of, either. They are also relatively quiet. Handy.

34. RW
    Pirate

@ James O'Shea: "Slightly to the north"

The Olympic Peninsula in Warshington State is abt 1380 km from Juneau, Alaska, where Ms. Palin holds sway in her Commie-red wardrobe.

But in spite of the distance, the comparison is apt. Both represent the back ass end of nowhere, full of survivalists and assorted other self-designated free spirits. In the continental US, however, this kind of anti-establishment life view is more prevalent in Montana, Idaho, and (vide "State of Jefferson") southern Oregon & northern California than on the Olympic Peninsula.

Lexicographic/semantic observation: the old Latinism "vide" for "see" is succumbing to "Google".

35. The Boffin
    Coat

@ Robert Hill: Moose Recipes

Chocolate moose is my favourite.

36. Turbo Beholder
    Happy

@ James O'Shea

> full of survivalists and assorted other self-designated free spirits

Really. *Proper* free spirits should be assigned by Central Committee. Besides, she has a GUN!!1

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thedishrag/2008/10/how-did-newswee.html#comment-133980175

“Good catch. That is a 50 caliber automatic street-sweeper cop-killer assault weapon. Not only could she have blown her foot off, she could've killed every human within a 1000 yard radius. Which she would've probably enjoyed, since she loves to kill things. She is terrifying, and I have nightmares about her every night.

Hold me.”

37. Steve

@ Oliver Humpage

And what if the rear of the case was wedged up on (or near enough) a wall of the stove? There's the missing reactive force!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like