back to article Oz mayor stole cash for Darth Vader voice distorter

The lord mayor of Darwin remains defiant after being found guilty of stealing council funds to buy "a fridge, underwear and a Darth Vader voice distorter", The Sydney Morning Herald reports. Peter Adamson, 47, was convicted on four charges, including "stealing and making a false statement in declaration". The court heard he'd …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dillon Pyron

Just maybe

"*We assume the SMH means a thrift store in Darwin run by East Timorese, rather than a thrift shop run by East Timorese in East Timor. Mind you, stranger things have happened..."

Maybe it was a thrift store in East Timor run by Darwinians.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Like a doll's eyes

"(his lawyer asserted that) Adamson was "the victim of internal council backstabbing, likening him to a sacrificial lamb and his work environment to 'a pool of sharks with blood in the water'""

What a strange mental image. I wager that this lawyer has seen "Pink Floyd The Wall", and owns at least one Roger Waters solo album.

3. Harry

Terrific draft ...

If you go dressed as a fridge, you shouldn't be surprised when you get a cool reception !

4. Jason Harvey

Needy family + fridge + thrift store =

smaller, older fridge + cash

easy economics. Get an expensive fridge as a gift for a needy family... take fridge to thrift store... sell to store for cash... buy used, working fridge... pocket extra money for food and such.

sounds very plausible to me.

whether or not it happened that way, they'll need to find the "needy family" that got the fridge. if that family doesn't exist, then he's guilty... if they do and they admit to the equation... he's the scapegoat and much fallout will happen.

ah the excitement that is politics.

5. Greg

Top man

Luxury car? Swimming pool? Nah. Darth Vader, baby!

6. Greg

Re: Just Maybe

"Maybe it was a thrift store in East Timor run by Darwinians."

Would they have to be version 5.0 Darwinians to have that capability?

7. Glenn Amspaugh

If Only...

I wish U.S. Corrupt politicians operated at this guy's scale. Hell, steal enough money for a new house and I'd be cool with that. Invading countries (and screwing it up), that's another matter...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

ah that explains it..

I got a call from Darth offering me a fridge for sale.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I tell you

East Timor (which is not that far away from Darwin, unless this is all about East Timor Sunrise Inc) is *awash* with the fridges this guy stole, they use them to build a wall or something. Seriously, if a politician is caught stealing less then $3000 (Australian $, mind you), the lamb/sharkpool situation seems pretty likely.

10. Morely Dotes

Ah, clearly...

This is what is meant by "political Darwinism!"

I'll just get me coat...

11. Josh

Why didn't he...

Why didn't he use the mask on the cops to sound threatening? I'm sure all would cower in fear in the presence of the Emperor's apprentice. Maybe the mask could've given him a Force Grip ability too.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

East Timor

The fridge showed up in East Timor (it's not that far away).

13. Adrian Esdaile

All Australians are criminals

I don't know about the rest of the world, but in Australia a Local Council that doesn't overspend it's budget each year has it's budget *reduced* by the amount it didn't spend. In the teeming urban metropolii like Sydney, this means a suburb-wide attack of 'traffic calming devices' (or f%$&ng speed humps - no wonder everyone wants a 4WD!) about a week before the EOFY.

I'm guessing the Darwin Mayor correctly surmised that the roads up there are so shit a speed hump won't make a difference, everyone has a 4WD and is perpeptually drunk at the wheel anyway. No-one would notice. A fridge with a Darth Vader voice? Actually, most people there would still be too drunk to notice.

On the other hand, he might just be bent. Blimey, that would be a surprise, a council officer on the take. Huzzah.

As a wise man once said:

"Australia is peopled entirely by criminals" - Vizzini

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Silly Boy...

Yeah, isn't our lord Mayor great! A few years back when the voting happened though, he was the more trust worthy candidate... *sigh*

That fridge though is what started most of this off. After he bought it (with council funds) he (and his other half) used it in his luxury apartment in the city before someone discovered it was there instead of with a "needy family" or thrift shop. Mysteriously however, it was found a week or two later in the thrift shop (which is in Darwin btw, not East Timor).

It's amusing how he's basically wreaked his political carer (I know I'm not voting for him next time, if he even bothers running) by stealing less than AU$3,000, when he could have afforded all this stuff off his on back anyway!

This topic is closed for new posts.