back to article US military fails to go RFID tag-tastic

The US Department of Defense is failing to follow its own mandate for RFID implementation despite sinking $12.2 million into the project, according to a report from the Inspector General. The investigation found that of 327 shipments received and inspected, 220 fell within the RFID-tagging remit; but of those 220, 23 lacked a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ash
    Joke

"Fines" for untagged palets?

"Hi, you failed to tag 125 palets over the past 12 month period. We're fining you $250."

"Sue me."

"We will!" *whisper whisper whisper* "Erm... Err... It seems that... Err... It's not actually... Err... ILLEGAL to err... not tag palets..."

"Really? Well... I guess we don't need to tag the rest."

"We won't buy from you!"

"Fine. Sincerely, Europe."

2. RW

@ Ash

Nice joke but falls flat since afaik Walcrapmart doesn't buy anything from Europe.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Problem

The military have a big problem with laundry. Hundreds of uniforms being washed at once, they get lost and mixed up.

Enter RFID as a potential solution - tag the uniforms, nothing gets lost.

Of course then someone makes a landmine activated by RFID...

4. Timo
    Thumb Up

US Guvmint should buy from Wal-Mart

That might solve the budget crisis, AND get them on RFID straight away. Since Wal-Mart seems to be doing just a little better at RFID (although not a complete success) the government could just buy stuff from WalMart and count that as a "score!"

It might also get us out of buying $10,000 hammers etc. The downside is that some of the crap at Walmart is so cheap that it breaks taking it out of the box. Maybe don't want that to happen for bullets or gas masks. Or tanks.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@RW

Not so, Wallyworld owns the Asda supermarket chain in the UK... so they *do* buy European stuff. Unfortunately they don't ship stufff over from the States :-(

6. James O'Brien
    Joke

@Timo

Heh nice one I can see it now. . .

"Sarge is this track supposed to be in pieces?"

"Didn't you read the damn directions soldier? Its says some assembly required!!"

"But Sarge, this barrel says 'Made in China' and it doesn't look too straight."

"AWwwww F(bleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep)"

Yep, its gonna happen mark my words.

This topic is closed for new posts.