back to article Hi-tech keys make for safer Fords

Ford has developed a smart key that, it claims, will help remind teenage tearaways to buckle up behind the wheel and stop them from speeding. MyKey is a key that can be programmed by parents to control what their offspring can do in the family car. For example, the key could be set to limit the car’s top speed to 80, to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

Dire

Dire wolves, that is. And saber toothed cats.

We don't have 'em any more. Why are we doing everything possible to stop culling the stupid from the human herd? We're de-evolving as a species ... spending entirely too much money trying to save 0.0000001% of the population who MIGHT kill themselves by driving too fast in the wrong time and place.

And yet cigarettes are still legal?

To say nothing of the fact that 80MPH is not only above the speed limit, it's far more than enough to do serious damage to one's self and vehicle on the back roads that most kids explore when they have a chance to get away from the parental units ... Well, at least here in the SF Bay Area (Mines Road/Hwy130, anyone? How about Tunitas Creek? Skaggs Point & Hwy1? ... ).

It won't make anyone any safer. All it'll do is shift responsibility from the parent to the key. Which won't work, for obvious reasons. Daft, I call it ... Plus I can see the lawsuits now .... "But the key was set to "safe" mode, how could little B1ff & Buffy have killed themselves? ... It must be all Ford's fault!"

2. Maryland, USA
    Thumb Up

I'm all for it...

...if it can keep a teenage daughter from making out in her Focus.

3. jake Silver badge

Focus, indeed ...

> if it can keep a teenage daughter from making out in her Focus

Are you so old you have forgotten what it's like to be a teenager? Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, will stop teenagers from making out. The Focus has nothing to do with it.

Instead of worrying, educate ... Unless you want your daughter to wind up like the under-educated daughter of a certain vice-presidential candidate ...

4. Iain

Trust

If you don't trust your kids, don't let them have the car.

They need to learn that trust has to be earned. What sort of lesson is it in responsibility (the key (ha ha) to good driving) if you wrap them in layers of electronic cotton wool?

This topic is closed for new posts.