back to article Oracle 11g’s new toys

Oracle has just announced onto a suspecting world the latest release of its flagship database engine. It is packed full of additional features. If you are an Oracle DBA and/or developer, then you will be keen to find out what’s coming because, for good or ill, these will be the features you will work with in the coming years. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nano nano

Mistaken technology

Drat - thought this was a Wifi article about 802.11g !

Can you take more care over the headlines, please ?

2. Konstantinos

Oracle 11g means Oracle 11g :)

I think the headlines couldnt be more descriptive. Thanks for the heads up Reg

3. Ian Michael Gumby

Yawn... Need a better author.

You know that the author is a tad of an Oracle bigot, when he presents only Microsoft as a comparison to the advanced features that have been found in IBM's IDS (Informix) for several years now.

Why didn't the author compare the new release to the new "Cheetah" release or the "Viper" releases?(Informix , DB2 respectively)

Extensibility has been an area that Informix has a 10+ year lead since their fated acquisition of Illustra. (Why do you think Phil White cooked the books? ;-)

With respect to ease of use and maintenance, IDS beats them hands down.

Yes, I am an Informix bigot, even though I support all of the major players (including Oracle).

I would hope that the author would be fair and throw some punches.

But what do I know? I'm just a "nameless" punter who's tossing comments in from the peanut gallery. ;-)

-G

4. Nano nano

Headline was updated - Konstantinos

The Reg chappies had updated the headline by the time you came to read it - it originally said "11g's new toys". No mention of Oracle.

5. Ishkandar

"New" features

Quite a few of the "new" features have been implemented by skunkworks add-ons by frustrated DBAs/Analysts who cannot wait for the "Real Thing" !! Most of these are done using low(ish) level languages.

What we have here is the same thing but tarted up (i.e. dumbed down) for those "DBAs" who cannot be bothered to research further than the last notes from their Oracle "certified" DBA course !!

I also agree with Ian Grumby (see above) that some features have appeared in other databases earlier. However, it's much more fun lighting a fire under Microsoft !!

6. Deepak Vohra

JDBC 4.0 not Supported

Oracle Database 11g new features document specifies :

"Oracle Database 11g is compliant with JDBC 4.0 and Java SE 5.0 for the JDBC drivers and Oracle Java Virtual Machine (JVM)."

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/oracle11g/pdf/database-11g-new-features-whitepaper.pdf

But, Oracle Dataabse does not actually support all the JDBC 4.0 features such as SQLXML.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like