back to article NetApp faces Sun lawsuit loss

Sun is crowing that a judicial ruling in the NetApp_Sun IP lawsuit has effectively invalidated another NetApp patent. The US Patent Office also appears to be rejecting NetApp's key patents in the law suit. NetApp's position looks like it's crumbling. The dispute began with NetApp claiming that Sun's free distribution of its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Che Kristo

The boots on the other foot!

There is nothing better than seeing a patent aggressor cop it - hopefully Netapp lose out big time on this and learn a lesson.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Sun is on its death bed and grasping at straws

If three years ago a company had $7.4B of cash on hand, but now its entire market cap has

fallen to $4.7B, how much confidence would you have in the management?

Light my fire

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

This just in, from the Department of Redundancy Department

>"The pre-trial hearings form the second strand. They "establish the meaning of key terms in disputed patents", Sun's general counsel, Mike Dillon, says.

>The judge carrying out pre-trial hearings has effectively invalidated a second NetApp patent, Dillon said in his blog. He added that these pre-trial hearings "establish the meaning of key terms in disputed patents". "

Also, he said that these pre-trial hearings "establish the meaning of key terms in disputed patents". Film at 11 and also at 11.

4. Peter Bradley
    Joke

WAFL

No. They can't have that. Sorry and all that, but my wife and I invented WAFL when my wife first took up the teaching of Welsh to adults. It stands for Welsh As a Foreign Language and is designed to be equivalent to the English TEFL. We also own TWADL (Teaching Welsh As a Dead Language).

Rhybudd joc rhag ofn bod aelodau CIG yn monitro'r Register.

Hwyl

P

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Sun may be on their death bed

But I do love seeing someone hand a smackin' out to NetApp and take 'em down a notch. Does my heart good. Hopefully the chance of seeing "vital" patents invalidated during a lawsuit will tend to put a brake on this sort of thing.

6. Chris Mellor
    Unhappy

REmoving redundancy. Removing redundancy. Remov....

Bah. A snivelling sneezing flue/cold and I repeat myself in the story. Yuck. My office looks like a face tissue landfill and I'm suffering a nasal Niagara. Sniff. I've removed the redundant section and offer grovelling aplogies.

Chris.

7. Brian Utterback

Grasping at straws. Huh?

Quoth "Anonymous coward":

>Sun is on its death bed and grasping at straws

What does that even mean in this context? Defending itself in court against a law suit is "grasping at straws"? That doesn't make any sense. Are you saying that if they weren't grasping at straws, then they wouldn't have defended themselves?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

Sun on its deathbed ...

Nice one MB - what is really great is that all this innovation that Sun has freely dished out to the market all these years will then disappear and you will be back in the Mainframe age where you are dependent on the Big Guys and their extrotion - enjoy!!!

Lets see how bright your fire burns then ...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@Chris Mellor

No apologies needed, you gave me a right good laugh on an otherwise grey morning. Get well soon!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like