back to article Nokia's Communicator to make a comeback?

Nokia may be preparing the successor to its E90 Communicator, if a pair of images that the phone giant used in a recent presentation about its S60 user interface are taken at face value. E90_update Nokia's updated Communicator Images of the unnamed handset show a device that borrows much of its styling from the currently …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Giles Jones Gold badge

Dual screen

As much as I liked the dual screen, these days you can get opening mechanisms that mean you can have the keyboard and the screen with a single screen.

A simple hinge is faster and easier, but having two screens adds to the cost and complexity of the device.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

About time too

And no more of this S60 bollocks, please.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

slide out

looks more like a slide out keyboard than a swivel/dualscreen

4. John White
    Go

S80 forever! and make it a N5MX (sorry Psion)

Well I never, make it an S80 (unlikely) Symbian with colour touchscreen and we have.... a 2008 version of the Psion 5MX. As a 9500 owner and 5MX owner (still - the keyboard is better) this could be what I've been looking for. A stable OS, colour touch screen with a usable keyboard + bluetooth; IR; GPRS; WiFi etc. You get it: a modern 5MX/phone. I've used WindowsMobile "equivalents" and suffered ActiveSync. We all hated Psion's PsiWin but on my 5MX it's a dream compared to ActiveSync and the Nokia equivalent on the 9500 is even better.

My main gripe with 9500 is lack of touch screen and apps. S60 solves the latter problem but S80 is so like ER5 in feel. BTW to the WindowsMobile fans; yes I do like EPOC/Symbian; and Linux - I can even install and use productively linux or Solaris on an UltraSparc

"Go" because a new Communicator will not happen - they are not cool to the mainstream market

5. Drak

I dont get how it works

In the picture you see above it being used as a touchscreen with the keyboard completely hidden as though its a slideout keyboard, but below you see the keyboard on the side like a clamshell. So Im guessing the keyboard swivels all the way around to the back...which is a good idea, as I think that is what has prevented people from buying clamshell phones that open to the side for a querty keyboard. If they did the same thing to the N810 I would love it, I would have to buy an 810 with a clamshell form factor to protect the screen. That is something that would blow away the iPhone and all the mobile game consoles like the PSP and DS in one swoop.

6. Ian Michael Gumby
    Thumb Up

As an E90 owner...

I have the E90.

I purchased the phone, here in the States, as an unlocked model. (Kinda pricey).

The reason for the purchase was that it had GPS and that it also had a large QWERTY keyboard. Something that is a bit of a necessity for someone who does more e-mail/texting than phone calls.

With respect to calls, I can use either the head phones or a blue tooth head set while my phone is in my computer bag's outer pocket.

I like the idea of two screens. The truth is that the outer screen is ok for a quick look up of a contact, a quick mapview, or a quick look at your calendar. But to read any e-mails, look at a pdf or web page, forget about it. The inner screen is a must have.

I'd like to comment about the built in camera on the inside. In the states, its useless. There needs to be an app that allows you to do vid conferencing while connected to a wi-fi. (Ok, I'll wager there is one, but I haven't seen it.) Or a decent IM package that would let you do vid conferencing. I'd also like to see a better wi-fi arrangement because the phone tends to drop the wi-fi connection or "time out" when you're reading a web page and not making wi-fi requests.

Overall, it does what I need it for, but its still far from perfection.

It is big. Friends call it a brick.

There phone is on 24/7 and I sometimes have to reboot the phone on occasion to get it to work.

If Nokia was working on something, I'd rather see the N810 successor that has wi-max/wi-fi capabilities, a cell phone (not wi-fi only telecommunications), and some expandability. (Heck wouldn't it be nice to be able to plug in modules like telephone service, wifi or wimax depending on where in the world you live? A USB port, and some external memory.

IMHO, while the 810 is bigger than a phone, its still usable in most situations where one can carry it in a purse (ladies), a backpack/briefcase/laptop bag, and use a blue tooth component to access it. Its definitely not for the "petite" phone first crowd, but for the businessman who doesn't want to carry a laptop and its components around everywhere, plus a cell/blackberry.

Thumbs up because the E90 and the N810 show convergence of technologies that isn't aimed at your traditional tiny hand consumer.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Yay

Or it could be something like the HTC Universal which allows one to swiwel the screen and tuck the keyboard inside when not in use.

If this is powered by S60 5th Edition, then count me IN.

8. Twm Davies

Jumping the gun?

s60 is a platform division and so their marketing/graphics design have to come up with devices that show off concepts which utilise the different features of the device.

S60 don't do plastics - product teams do plastics.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

9300i user and happy!

I'm with the s60 people on this. I have a battered E61 which I use at work and going back to my 9300i is a dream. I love S80 and I love the Communicator but to be honest I can't see a need to upgrade just yet!

Incidentally, if I switch both phones on at the same time my 9300i is up and running way before the E61.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like