back to article Nokia chief: Mobile superiority coming to America

North America is tough neighborhood for Nokia. While the Finland-based cell phone giant is reputed to control over 40 per cent of the mobile market globally, its brand is stamped on a mere 10 per cent of America's sets. But Nokia's CEO Olli-Pekka Kallasvuo is pretty optimistic about his stateside prospects. Speaking to Silicon …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Grant Quinn
    Dead Vulture

The difference is AppStore...

There's a reason that Apple will make a killing in the mobile markets and all other handset makers won't - it's that Apple will get a cut of almost every piece software sold on all iPhones. Lots of people use iTunes every day, so it's easier to get people to browse applications. Nokia software on the other hand has few reasons to use it casually, so a slick AppStore type interface is going to be harder to pull off.

I know you can buy stuff online for Nokia phones, but I think people mentally prefer just to use a thick client.

Dead Vulture, because it symbolises what's happening to all heathenPhones.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Halo

It's all about the economics

Nokia needs to make sure it's developers start making the kind of money that iPhone developers make. This means an working on-device AppStore, a micro-payments system that work in it's core European and Asian markets, and a fair revenue split (like a 30%-70% one as on Apples AppStore).

3. Neil Hoskins

Yanks

I agree with the comments about an app store. Nokia's effort is pretty pathetic and we're left with the sharks at Handango.

A recent quote, though, summed things up for me. Ewan Spence, of All About Symbian, said something along the lines of it being a bit like WW2. The yanks come on board late, make out that they invented smartphones, insist on doing things their way, and will probably come out the other end making a handsome profit. It's as if Dunkirk, El Alamein, and the Battle of Kirsk never happened. Only Midway, Okinawa, and the Battle of the Bulge have any significance and everything else can be forgotten. I never really understood why my parents, who lived through the war, hate the yanks so much, but I'm starting to get a slight flavour of it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

maybe....

they should make the phones REALLY big, with cup holders, oh and lots of Chrome, oh and Pizza hut on speed dial, oh it'll be cool if it has a telly on it, oooo , oo ,ooo and it's actually badly assembled and for a limited edition has the US flag on it....(granted it'll be made in China)

5. James Anderson
    Dead Vulture

Nokia has already lost.

In ten years it has had control of Symbian, it has turned it from the best small computer os and the only one with a usable interface into something indistinguishable from a cheap phone.

There is no longer a community of Symbian app developers and even MicroSoft does a better smart phone. Nokia have fallen so far behind its difficult to see how thye could catch up, escpecially as the current management are the ones responsable for the current crop of unusable smart phones.

HTC are the only ones who seem to be doing it right these days.

6. Gary

Nokia to shake up

As a European dead set on supporting European companies (why i buy Nokia) along with the fact they can do a lot more than a iPhone can, why are Nokia succeeding to America, they have the lowly CDMA system and not much GSM, if Nokia sell out like this i will be walking.

Why don't Nokia just stop messing around, merge the Music/Downloads/Software downloads/stores into one place, this will KILL iPhone app store, make it downloadable over the air and you have yourself a killer store.

7. Drak

Neil Hoskins, you are way out of touch

Neil Hoskins- read James Anderson's post. The americans arent taking credit for something thats already been done, they are finally giving the customer want they fully want instead of hyping a very incomplete and botched up mobile platform. Apple started it all by showing that a handheld can do almost anything a PC can do. Nokia has never done anything except dish out crap enterprise apps and completely ignore the common user who wants to use their phone for things like web surfing and live messaging. I'll bet you anything that Nokia wont even try to fix Symbian and will drop on the mobile Linux bandwagon with their maemo.org offering.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like