back to article IBM delivers baby SAN

If you are an SMB customer and you have taken a shining to Big Blue's BladeCenter S blade box, the company has a new and better storage option for you today than you had yesterday. Starting today, IBM is shipping a SAS-based storage area network inside the chassis as an alternative to external Fibre Channel SANs that are also …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Matthew

Wall power?

I thought 240v *was* 'wall power'?

2. James Dore
    Joke

Weak power

"has room for six blades and runs on wall power, or its high-end BladeCenter H chassis, which can hold 14 blades but requires 240-volt power."

Pardon? What kind of weakling system doesn't have 240v at the wall? Pansies.

3. Paul Murphy
    Paris Hilton

Prices in dollars

The evidence seems to point to an American origin for this article, and in the glorious union they only have 120v available to normal sockets (I have no idea why - maybe they thought it was cheaper) hence the 'err what?' comments from people on the correct side of the Atlantic.

Anyway, sounds like a good idea, I hope IBM have many more.

PH 'cos she is also 'over there' and I suppose it's probably for the best that she is.

ttfn

4. Jeff

The same power...

Your 240, our 120, the amps delivered is the same only the voltage is different. Amperage versus voltage, look it up.

In America, where all the news on this site seem to originate, most homes have both 120 and 220 volt outlets. The 220 volt outlets deliver power for major appliances like clothes washers and dryers.

Cheers.

5. Dave Morfee

thats pricey

I know this is for the SMB market, but seriously thats a lot of cash, we have just put in a IBM san, 4Tb beast for £15K fitted and installed

Kimbie

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Jeff

Sorry, the Amps are not the same. Half the voltage, double the amperage for the same wattage.

Watts= volts*amps.

7. Mark Aggleton
    Black Helicopters

Power

I think you'll find that the BladeCemter H needs commando power to get the higher wattage,

8. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

Who wrote this?

"That wanna expand their revenues from blades."

"But SMB shops are pretty much allergic to SANs, not just because of the expense, but also because of the complexity and despite the obvious benefits of using shared storage for a bunch of servers."

Meh.

This topic is closed for new posts.