back to article Apple scraps iPhone NDA

Apple is scrapping its controversial and unpopular "fucking" iPhone non-disclosure agreement (NDA). The company said it's tearing up its existing agreement with members of the iPhone developer program and has promised a new contract minus NDA "within a week or so." Apple's NDA has infuriated developers and frustrated authors …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Watashi

Jobs giveth... and Jobs taketh away

So Jobs decides that it's OK for people to talk about the way the iPhone works.

Then he decides to screw over music artists by threatening to deny iPod and iPhone users access to new music. Why? Because the US Government thinks artists should earn more money from downloands.

Way to go Apple, you monopolistic b*st*rds.

Now's a chance for the Apple fanboys to prove they actually have a will of their own - boycot iTunes!!!

2. Webster Phreaky
    Jobs Horns

Ha! Apple Scraps Stock Value ... Tanks big time!

AAPL 110.47 -3.19 -2.81% (10/01/2008). Ya remember when it was $189 in May '08?

How's YOUR AAPL portfolio, AppleTards?

Bwah ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ........

Ps. MSFT 26.83 +0.14 +0.52% (same day, same time)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

We don't need no stinkin' titles (othervise known as drop all tables)

I'm going to post it so the rest of you don't have to: People stealing apple IP? PCB (Pot, Kettle and so on...).

I just hope whoever wrote the apple pressrelease knows enough about computers and their short but colorful history to fully appreciate the irony of it all as he or she pressed the mousebutton to post it online.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Flash & Java on the iPhone

Unlikely, as you wouldn't need Cocoa Touch to write Flash and Java apps, and so could therefore bypass the App Store completely.

I can't see Jobs being too keen on that.

5. James O'Brien
    Paris Hilton

Yeah probably not first but

I wonder if now that this NDA is killed off how long till FREE apps start appearing on the net? Seeing as it will show how everything is tied together and should allow people to skip Apples gold star program.

Just my 2 cents

/Paris because im sure its only a matter of time till we see her on the JesusPhone as well.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Flash and Java in 3..2..1..

I predict Flash and Java will make a sudden and mysterious appearance on the iPhone once there is a whiff of them running on Android.

Of course it would be hilarious if Sun or Adobe then 'changed their minds' about allowing their code on the iPhone. Wonder how Jobs would like being on the receiving end. No doubt Apple's own versions 'iFlash' and 'iJava' would get created and be touted as the best thing ever, (albeit with more gay sounding names, obviously).

7. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Alien

I've got it

Webster Phreaky is amanfromMars run through the Twat-O-Tron!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No NDA != No Contract

Just because the NDA is being removed doesn't mean that the developers aren't still under contract! It's not a free-for-all - no 'free' apps for you!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

NDA only removed for RELEASED software?

What does this mean?

Does this mean the developers still can't talk about anything they've not released yet (including anything that Apple rejects)?

10. David Kelly
    Thumb Down

@Webster Phreaky

You must be pretty thick if you think a short term dip in AAPL is any indication of where the company is going. Take a look at AAPL vs MSFT over 1, 2, 3, 5 years and try tell me MSFT is a better investment. Aren't you getting tired of showing your ignorance here?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Choices

I can't decide if Webster, or amanfrommars is my favourite commenter. I'd love to see either of them given their own columns.

I have to say, the relationship between devs and apple seems to have "thank you sir may I have another" vibe to it. If it's so awful to develop for app store, why are they STILL doing it? Is the money THAT good?

12. Thomas

@everyone in the world

Hooray for market power, hooray for Apple being forced to be less of a self-beholden, unfriendly and arrogant set of idiots, hooray for being able to share iPhone code.

"I'm going to post it so the rest of you don't have to: People stealing apple IP? PCB (Pot, Kettle and so on...)."

Apple bought FingerWorks in order to produce the iPhone. That's called buying IP, not stealing it.

"Then he decides to screw over music artists by threatening to deny iPod and iPhone users access to new music. Why? Because the US Government thinks artists should earn more money from downloands."

He said that proposed new rates would be likely to make the iTunes music store unprofitable and that they weren't going to continue to run it if it started generating losses. Luckily since the iPod and iPhone can play MP3s or AACs from any source this might affect how users obtain their music but would have no effect on their ability to obtain it or to listen to it.

@Webster Phreaky: Apple's stock remained remarkably unaffected by the stock market turbulence until it suddenly dropped back into line with the market. If I can find an artificial window where Apple went up but Microsoft went down, would that prove anything? Check out the Mac Pro benzine story for Apple (allegedly) being culpably stupid.

13. Wize

Re: Flash and Java in 3..2..1..

"No doubt Apple's own versions 'iFlash' and 'iJava' would get created and be touted as the best thing ever, (albeit with more gay sounding names, obviously)"

Like Microsofts own version. Silver-somethingorother.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Webster Phreaky

Is this guy Webster a 15 year old WoW playing moron impersonating a 12 year old little boy or did he just buy the wrong phone and now regrets it?

(I love the iPhone, hate Job's and Apples arrogance (Genius bar, gimmee a break), will never buy a Mac, quite like buggy old XP but don't like Vista too much, so don't call me an Apple fanboi )

15. Law
    Jobs Horns

oh god

"we are dropping it for released software"

Which means the next version of the sdk & tools will be in perpetual beta form, just like Google.

16. Steve

Webster, you're slipping.

Surely you could have found a way to blame it on the "librul muslim immgrunts" if you tried had enough.

17. Law
    Linux

@Webster Phreaky

"Is this guy Webster a 15 year old WoW playing moron impersonating a 12 year old little boy or did he just buy the wrong phone and now regrets it?"

Nah, it's just Bill Gates and SB having a bit of a laugh trying to get a rise out of fanbois, bit like prodding a bear with a stick in a zoo, except nobody told him eventually the bear grabs the stick, pulls them into the cage, and rips them a new one.

18. Brian Mackenzie
    Thumb Down

Are obscenities really needed?

What is the point of adding obscenities to an article about Apple's NDA. Try not using them in future and use inoffensive words if you want to make a point. There are many available in the dictionary.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like