back to article Slimline Xbox 360 due in December?

Microsoft has fanned the flame of speculation that it's working on a slimline Xbox 360, by retracting an executive’s claim that an announcement will be made before Christmas. According to a report by Split Screen, Rahul Datta, Microsoft India’s Retail Services Manager, told the gaming website that an announcement regarding a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. M
    Flame

Well Obviously...

They have obviously managed to expand the RROD tech to TVs, households, and toaster ovens. Move over BSOD, there's a red ring of death that's going to eat your monitor.

For full disclosure purposes, my 3 week old xbox 360 got the RROD at the weekend so I wasn't best pleased. This is a carthartic method of releasing my tension.

I swapped it at the shop with another new one but it was actually manufactured before my dead one. Fucksocks.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

You heard it here first.

Don't buy an Xbox360 until december, if you do it's going to be the old noisy one.

If you can't wait, buy a PS3 today, it's far better quality, fear better featurewise, and far quieter.

3. Richard
    Flame

Just what the thing needs...

To be packed into a smaller box, with less ventilation and room for fans. That way, instead of just warping the motherboard, it might actually melt.

4. Mark
    Gates Horns

PS3

Insert not very witty anti 360 comment here.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Size Doesn't Matter...

For me, size doesn't matter. Whats more important is if they've managed to cure the red ring!

And on a less smutty tone, I also want one that runs quietly, not the jet-turbine noise that gets emmited from my current 'Premium' edition.

6. bob
    Thumb Up

Mini Xbox 360 here!

http://www.winsupersite.com/RoadBlock/default.asp?returnurl=%2Fshowcase%2Fms_arcmouse_photos.asp

If you look in the bottom right picture you will see the slimline 360.

7. Danny
    Coat

Announcement

Going by the recent trend by XBOX and the onling Live service the announcement is likely to be the release of the new 'dashboard' user interface for the 360,

http://majornelson.com/archive/2008/09/26/new-xbox-experience-themes-and-friends-channel.aspx

Presonally i cant wait to get the latest dashboard as it is really funky!

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Strange timing...

...to announce a new product when the main Christmas shopping spree is in full flood.

If this thing is for real. it'll be interesting to see how they propose to support the hard disk which fits neatly on the side of the current machine and is not standard on all 360s. One way would be to make hard disks standard on all slimline 360s and gradually run down supplies of the older drives. Then to offer the newer drives with an adaptor allowing them to clip to the fatter older 360s.

Though knowing Microsoft they'll just keep two different lines of drives and gouge for each one.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

i believe it will be something along the lines of

you're fucking done, son

10. Shagbert
    Stop

Re: Mini Xbox 360 here!

No, it's really not. Without even cutting and pasting your link I know what that is.. That's a perspective thing, is all, and the guy whose desk that is posted follow up photos on the same blog that originally came from to prove it. It's a normal RROD 360 sitting next to its normal 360 replacement.

I bet you believe everything you see on the intertubes..

11. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

blu ray

Is this the one that has the built in blu ray so the xbox can be a proper home media centre with blu-ray, dvd, games and downloads?

12. moronatwork
    Gates Horns

does no one remember?

Microsoft has categorically stated that there is no new XBox 360 this year. TheRegister even reported on it!

So, please put these rumors to bed.

<insert tags for the impaired>

13. Andrew
    Gates Halo

Not a Slimline but.....

Maybe its not a slim xbox 360 but a xbox portable!? Who knows, that would be cool.

These are the features that I would want if it came true, an accelerometer, xbox live integration with the same gamertag on your xbox, achievements, all the functions of a psp, with face front camera, microphone, xbox portable to xbox 360 connection of some sort, wifi, built in memory and a memory card slot(preferably micro sd), and maybe a sidekick kind of case and folding movement.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whats more important is if they've managed to cure the red ring!

You will be glad to hear that the red ring of death has been totally eliminated. It has been replaced with the Chartreuse triangle of death.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

RROD Fault .... Yawn boring !

When are the Sony fans gonna drop the RROD argument that was resolved years ago. Cant you think of something new and Imaginative by now.

16. Tom
    Thumb Down

New dashboard?

Bunch of old horse cock if those screens from the new dashboard are to be believed.

Can anyone say "I want to be a Wii"?

Stick your avatars up your collective fudge tunnels, XBL!

Or alternatively, give me a choice as to whether I want to fuck up my xbox or not.

17. paul
    Flame

Media Hub

Im lucky enough to have all 3 consoles - the 360 gets the least use for two reasons: paying for xbox live AND the bloody noise.

So it is in the upstairs room out of the way as the cat is scared of it.

18. Aortic Aneurysm

RROD

I can't understand how some people get RROD on "new 3 week old" consoles. I've had mines since nearly release, and it's still going strong. I had a first batch ps2 (remember the problems with them?) and it's still working like new today. Ps3's break aswell, but since more people own xbox's the problem with them is far more documented.

19. Iain

Re: noise and such.

Curiously, my aged 360 came back from a RRODing on Monday, with a fresh motherboard and DVD drive, to be FAR quieter than it used to be. Seriously, it's now decidedly less noisy than my PS2, and only a little more than my mate's PS3. Whether this means it'll go another 2 and a bit years without dying again is another question.

20. Jimster71
    Thumb Up

No more overheating

The new xbox is slimline so that it can easily fit in the door shelf of your fridge to prevent overheating issues.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

How amusing

8:06am:

"When are the Sony fans gonna drop the RROD argument that was resolved years ago. Cant you think of something new and Imaginative by now."

10:40am:

"Curiously, my aged 360 came back from a RRODing on Monday"

Perhaps people will stop going on about the RROD when it actually stops happening on a regular basis to almost everyone with a 360?

And I'm not some anti-MS fanboy, I have a 360 which I use a lot, and it's broken down twice.

22. Anonymous Coward
    Gates Horns

re: RROD Fault .... Yawn boring !

When will Xbox360 owners take their blinkers off, even the latest 360's are failure prone.

There are paid Microsoft shills on forums and blogs, trying their best at damage control, but in the real world, even the latest 360s are a bunch of crap, still after 3 years.

23. Iain

RROD discussion (again)

Tony - My recently revived 360 originally had 1st generation parts in it, so the only question for the PS3 fans is why it lasted the 2 years it did, to be honest. I was merely mentioning it with relation to the question about them being so noisy.

Anonymous Coward - I've been posting under my own name since roughly when El Reg allowed comments, and have had plenty of nice things to say about the best Blu-ray player around and the home of LBP (which is utterly charming) and wipEout HD (still the best futuristic racer ever). You're AC. Motes in eyes, and all that.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

re: re: RROD Fault .... Yawn boring ! @Anonymous Coward

Freak!!! Microsoft paid people scouring forums!!! AHAAHAAA!!!

Get a life!!

I bet your one of those people who are afraid to leave the house because of the MI5 paid shills that pretend to be bin men that spy on you.

Or are you a paid Sony shill Mark?

Change the record.

25. bob
    Go

ORLY?!

"No, it's really not. Without even cutting and pasting your link I know what that is.. That's a perspective thing, is all, and the guy whose desk that is posted follow up photos on the same blog that originally came from to prove it. It's a normal RROD 360 sitting next to its normal 360 replacement.

I bet you believe everything you see on the intertubes.."

No but I am able to make up my own mind and just being told its isnt with out some form of evidance hold little water with me. I can only go on what I can see and what I can see is that the 2 consoles differ quite a bit.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like