back to article IBM, Sun, Microsoft sink differences on VMs

Corporate rivals have temporarily sunk their differences to find ways to fine-tune the Java Virtual Machine (JVM) to a variety of popular dynamic languages. Language experts from IBM, Microsoft, and others have converged on Sun Microsystems' Santa Clara campus for a three-day workshop to find ways of delivering Java-like …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

speedy?

Except for the part about "workshop to find ways of delivering Java-like performance for Ruby, Python, PHP, and Scala on the VM that drives Sun's platform."

Seriously, Ruby, Python, PHP et. al are faster already than Java, why would I want them to run any slower, and why would I want them to be more unstable?

2. alain williams Silver badge

What about using Perl's Parrot ?

See: http://www.parrotcode.org/

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@speedy

Whilst Java isn't as fast as native code it ain't totally bad. Two reasons I've found for slow Java code are the start time of the JVM & poorly written code.

You can write bad code in any language.

However the JVM startup time can be one heck of a headache...

4. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Seriously, dude

"Seriously Ruby, Python, PHP et. al are faster already than Java"

Seriously, where the hell does that idea come from?

"and why would I want them to be more unstable?"

Step away from the crack pipe, please.

5. John
    Thumb Down

JavaScript?

He is probably thinking of JavaScript, a language so difficult to build an executable from even fast implementations are actually pretty slow.

6. Mitch Kent
    Paris Hilton

@Speedy: Heard it all before

*Yawn*

Java's slow he says...

*Yawn*

Java's unstable?

*shoots anonymous numnuts in the head*

Java is enterprise grade kit, yes it has a relatively slow start time, and you're perhaps silly to write small scripts in it, but slow it ain't. Try googling for "Java speed myth" or anything like that. Learn about hotspot compiling, learn to use the correct data structures instead of those from a decade ago and perhaps learn to talk out of your mouth instead of your arse - your brain has a shit filter, your arse tends to just let fly...

There is no reason for Paris, but then there has been little of it so far in these comment threads anyway...

7. Guus Leeuw
    Paris Hilton

Why would you want Java Like Performance

Ahem... I'd rather have PHP-like performance for Java than Java-like performance for PHP. Besides why should the world's biggest (and hence most f-ed up) software companies be allowed to screw around with a brilliant lanuage like PHP?

Paris, because she know what it takes to screw around

8. Avalanche

Out of fashion?

"has gone out of fashion in recent years"

Out of fashion? In the blogosphere maybe, but in the real world Java is commonplace for business applications.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

orly

"I'd rather have PHP-like performance for Java than Java-like performance for PHP."

Have you ever used PHP and Java? PHP's dog slow and needs optimizations at every level if you want half decent performance.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like