back to article US Congress rubberstamps IP enforcement bill

The US House of Representatives on Sunday passed a bill heavily backed by the recording industry that would create an intellectual property enforcement czar position in the White House as well as significantly increase penalties for IP infringement. The bill passed unanimously through the Senate on Friday after being stripped …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Mectron
    Flame

That's it boys

THe US senate is now officialy a MPAA/RIAA puppet.

2. ZM
    Thumb Down

Because what we REALLY need...

...is HIGHER fines on violations of copyright infringement.

When will these people get it through their heads that what we want is music that good enough to pay for at reasonable prices? I have no problem downloading a song from the internet to give it a listen or two, but if it isn't good, it's not going to get my money. That said, I have spent quite a bit of money buying tracks I DO like from places like Amazon ($.88/track and no DRM) and Audiojelly (more per track, but again no DRM and usually can't find the tracks elsewhere).

And honestly, even $5000 per "violation" is ludicrous! But hey, let's let them keep up the "pay us $500 or we'll take you to court" racket. (And isn't THAT illegal, anyway?)

3. John O'Hare
    Alert

RIAA must be laughing their asses off

"could result in Department of Justice prosecutors serving as pro bono lawyers for private copyright holders regardless of their resources."

So now they'll have tax-payers paying for the RIAA's dirty work.

Used to be 'Land of the free (as in freedom), now it's become 'Land of the free (as in free beer, or in this case a free ride) at least if you're a big corporate.

4. Daniel B.

Bush Veto

Hmmmm. If Bush vetoes this, it would be like Opposite Day. Shooting down oppressive laws is something I didn't think the Bush Administration wanted.

5. Ash
    Thumb Down

Stripping out the civil suit bill.

"If you want a puppy, ask for a horse."

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like