back to article EU bids to dominate future nebulous buzzword

The European Commission has called out for help on how it can "put Europe into the lead of the transition to Web 3.0". It doesn't seem sure what web 3.0 is or could be in the future - it just knows it wants it. To that end, it's today launched a public consultation inviting opinions on this forthcoming "next wave of the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Web 4.0

Web 3 is sooo yesterday..

I prefer web 4.0(TM). Already I have applied for a patent for "a single or multiple or combinations of, means of sending something, somewhere using or not using a device connected or not connected to something or other, or maybe a virtual device connecting to a virtual something or other, or any combination of previous connection or connectionless posibilites".

Hope to get the patent by tomorrow from the US Pat office.

2. Mark
    Thumb Up

Web 3.0

Web 1.0- Forums. Anyone can start a new topic, anyone can reply.

Web 2.0- Blogs. 1 person can start a new topic, anyone can reply.

Web 3.0- ????. 1 Person can start a new topic, 1 person can reply?

Web 1.0- Geocities. Poorly designed webpages with annoying layouts, videos, and music.

Web 2.0- Facebook. Poorly designed webpages with annoying layouts, videos, and music. Much easier to spend money.

Web 3.0- ????. Poorly designed webpages with annoying layouts, videos, and music that automatically takes money out of your account.

Web 1.0- IRC. Real time chat anyone can talk or listen.

Web 2.0- Twitter. "Real time" chat 1 where 1 person can talk, anyone can listen.

Web 3.0- ???? "Real Time" chat where everyone can talk, no one bothers to listen?

Web 1.0- Software. You send a company money once to buy a word processing application.

Web 2.0- SAAS. You send a company money every month to rent a word processing application. If you stop sending money, you lose your documents.

Web 3.0- ????. You send a company every month to write your documents! If you stop sending money, you get sued for copyright infringement.

In Web 3.0, the cloud virtualizes you!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Web x.y

I really don't care, as long as it includes four major usability features

1) Binning browsers that don't even try to meet standards (Internet Exploder for example...)

2) Application servers that refuse to accept postings in text-speak

3) The badgers keep dancing

4) Some way to automatically correct the damn spelling on "Would you be kind enough to furnish me with a cheese burger?"

Mine's the one with a grammar guide and a small Weebl in the pocket.

4. Chris Thorpe

Web 3.0 definition

Web 1 & 2 we know.

Web 3 is the semantic web. Knows its 'nose' from its 'knows'.

That's old hat now. Web 4 is the coming thing. The haptic web - reaches out and tickles you remotely.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Paradigm 2.0

The next big thing will be energy if you ask me, not Internet.

6. Vincent
    Thumb Up

@ Mark

I lol'd. Although after reading that I realised that what you said is atually true.

Thumbs-up for the aforementioned lol.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Web 6.9

Trust me - it will be big....

8. Frumious Bandersnatch
    Thumb Down

prediction

By the time it comes 'round it'll be called web 3D, not web 3.0. With IPv6 and a proliferation of small network-aware devices embedded in nearly everything, the "cloud" will take on a literal meaning, and there'll be a new protocol layer designed to mediate between virtual and physical location. Quite depressing, really.

9. Mike Crawshaw
    Go

Web 3.0 Definitive Definition. Definitely.

A great big shit sandwich. With cheese. And olives. That costs £24.99. And has advertising burned onto the bun. And, right after eating it, an annoying waitress wants you to fill in a questionnaire about your "dining experience".

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Closing down blogs?

Presumably that's what this Web 3.0 is all about for the EU.

http://mreugenides.blogspot.com/2008/09/malicious-intentions-or-hidden-agendas.html

11. Anonymous Coward
    Linux

More BS for idiot nuMedia to postulate about.

... enough of the point oh's.

I dont know how many times i have heard 'nu media' people go on about making something more web 2.0 usually citing things like different user roles or use of AJAX.

Am I the only one that thinks we are already up to about web 10.9, since surely the move to www and Mr Berners Lee's efforts were 2.0

Just because these numpties came late to the party they want to start the counting again.

There is no 2.0 nor 3.0 ... its just the web and it just going to change all the time anyway, if it had to have version numbers then surely it should follow linux versioning, i.e. major.major.minor ..e.g. 2.0.4

12. Rob Kirton
    Unhappy

Web 3.0?

I can just hear the sounds of the consultants gravy train pulling into Brussels right now. I'm sure the whole matter of definition of Web3.0 can be sorted out over a convivial lunch or 2.

I'm also sure that it won't come cheap, if we really have to have a web3.0 can we please ensure that the EU is in the gaurds van, rather than the vanguard. i.e. right at the back. I am sure they must have better ways of spending my tax.

13. Christian Berger

Thery already have a hymn for it.

http://chaosradio.ccc.de/ctv109.html

Refrain:

Surfing surfing through the world with multimedia.

Surfing surfing day and night on the information super highway.

Surfing surfing through the world with multimedia.

Surfing surfing day and night on the information super highway.

Come tonight into the internet.

I'm already waiting for you.

Man, be a user, go online.

In E-mail you will meet me.

<refrain>

And if you are lacking some megabytes,

you will find them here with me.

Nomatter if interface or cyberspace

I'd like to share with you.

<refrain>

With bits and bytes, with mouse and click

we'll go on tour

in the world wide web we'll follow

ever hot clue

<refrain>

14. Tanuki
    Thumb Down

Wait for Web 3.01

We all know that Integer-numbered releases of anything are always flawed: So forget Web3.0 and wait a few months until they release Web3.01 with the grosser bugs fixed.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Web 3.0

Oh that is so 2007, we are on web 7.1 here.

Where do we get these loons from, is there some factory in China producing EU delegates?

You know what there probably is, has anyone checked the back of the neck for the Made In tag.

I am waiting for the real rise of CyberPunk but alas I fear there are no cool people left.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(untitled)

In my experience, any new buzz word probably covers things that "experts" make out they know all about, but when asked questions, can't really enlighten folk as to what it is. Buzzwords all go through a period of hype, when it's obvious that it's the latest must-have, and that only idiots don't know what it is, but when you try to find out, it's all vague marketing descriptions and general "feel good" garbage for years beforehand.

17. Pascal Monett Silver badge

God help us all

Web 1.0 - someone makes a web site, you connect to it via computer and consult its contents

Web 2.0 - someone makes a web site, everyone connects via computer and exchanges inane, unfounded opinions on anything except the topic

Web 3.0 - someone hosts a website where everyone connects via computer to chat about a multitude of subjects without listening to anyone who doesn't agree

Web 4.0 - The website is your computer and the whole world is connecting to it to relentlessly post inane and offensive remarks about your furniture, interior decoration, hair style and clothing habits - whether you are connected or not

Web 5.0 - There is no more computer - everyone connects directly to your brain and you hear their stupid, useless remarks directly in your head, all the time

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like