back to article Firefox update fixes international character password glitch

Mozilla has published an update to its popular Firefox web browser designed to fix a password saving glitch. Firefox version 3.0.3, released on Friday (26 September), addresses a bug in the Password Manager feature of the previous version of the browser that meant users might be unable to retrieve saved passwords or register …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andy Barber
    Thumb Down

Firefox update

I found the automatic update to Firefox 3.0.3 didn't work, even after a re-boot. I went to the download directory & did a manual install & it worked fine.

So the word of advice is do not use the automatic update, download the file, quit Firefox & then do a manual install. That will save you about half an hour.

2. Gordon Ross Silver badge

@Andy Barber

Worked fine for me on MacOS

3. Duncan Hothersall
    Heart

@Andy

YMMV. Worked fine for me on both Linux (Ubuntu HH) and Windows XP.

4. Michael Habel
    Thumb Down

FireFox is still broken (on some Sites)

I noticed this w/FF 3.0.2 when I had to install it again, on XP.

I thought I try the Vista MCE TV update 2008 (A job for Masticates for sure), long story short it tuned out to be more of the same. You'd think they'd have DiSEqC in the States too. :/

Well w/o something as simple as being able to use both Astra1 and Astra 2 at the same (or nearly the same time Switch allowing), VMCE is still of no use for me.

Since some of the "Sites" I go to are about Satellites and are in German I come into intimate with the Letters ÄÖÜ and Firefox insists on useing the Western (8859-1), on that Page and I get a lot of jibberish on those sites unless I manually force the Site to render in UTF-8, Pressing F5 will cause the "Site" to revert back to Western (8859-1). ARGGGGGGHHHH

5. Test Man
    Stop

Re: Firefox update

Well the Automatic Update worked perfectly fine for me.

So the word of advice is to simply use Automatic Update, if that doesn't work THEN download from the Mozilla FTP site. The latter will only save you half an hour if you're silly enough to spend half an hour using the Automatic Update feature.

6. Joerg

Firefox 3.0.3 still full of serious bugs.. it crashes on sites with Flash contents

And it crashes continously on many sites. For example the C|Net www.tv.com it's really unusable.

7. Daniel Semblano

arduous install on mac

Despite some issues when Firefox tried to install the update (some reboot were required on my mac workstaion) on my pc version worked well,

8. Quirkafleeg
    Boffin

Re: Firefox 3.0.3 still full of serious bugs.. it crashes on sites with Flash contents

That sounds like it's the Flash plugin which is full of bugs…

9. J
    Gates Horns

@Michael Habel

"Since some of the "Sites" I go to are about Satellites and are in German I come into intimate with the Letters ÄÖÜ and Firefox insists on useing the Western (8859-1)"

Changing the default character set might solve your problem, depending on the sites you usually visit, and how they were coded:

Edit-> Preferences->Content

Then in "Fonts & Colors" -- sorry, mine is American :-):

Advanced...->Default character encoding

Ideally all sites would set their "charset=something" in their <head> sections and then we wouldn't have to worry... Apparently the satellite site you mention does not do that, therefore your problems. I see that frequently with sites in Portuguese too, and then have to guess which charset was used to write the page because they didn't explicitly say it in the <head>, and using UTF-8 is making things look rather weird. :-)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like