back to article uTorrent for Mac leaks into Pirate Bay

A rough alpha version of BitTorrent client uTorrent for the Mac has tipped up on The Pirate Bay website. BitTorrent’s product development veep Simon Morris has warned fanboys that the leaked pre-release version isn’t ready for widespread use as it's still in development. He told TorrentFreak that the company will finally spit …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Michael Habel
    Linux

OH HOW IRONIC!!

How do you Download Torrents' without a Torrent Client??

Perhaps if you could add an External HDD to your Fritz(l)Box, and add some kind of Client there. :/

Oh well this is eventually my plan anyway.

After all we should all do our parts to remain green. My idea of "Green" being / having more "Green" at the end of the Month / Year by not having to leave the PC on an All-nighter to download Micorsofts latest Gem....

Just Kidding!! That would be wrong! And after all Microsoft latest "Gem"is far from being precious!

But A PC-Less Torrent Router for Downloading Feisty-Ferret (or whatever it's called these days is just the ticket!!)

2. Pooper Scooper
    Thumb Down

KTorrent on Windows/Mac

Personally I can't wait for KTorrent to finish coming out on Windows and Mac. Integrated search, lots of tweakability, built-in IP blocking, plugins, and seeding ratio caps make for a super fast client that does everything you could want it to do.

I did try uTorrent once and gave up after it proved to be ass-slow at downloading things, even with the same settings as KTorrent.

3. Samsara
    Thumb Up

Transmission

Been using this on a Mac for ages. Works great

http://www.transmissionbt.com/

4. Rolf Harris
    Linux

NETGEAR ReadyNAS

The NETGEAR line of ReadyNAS (used to be Infrant ReadyNAS) products like the ReadyNAS Duo, NV+, and Pro have a built-in official BitTorrent client, and so you can download BitTorrent files directly to the NAS, and with the Duo for example only consuming about 25W of power, you're pretty damn green compared to leaving your PC on - I do this at home :-)

"Tux" because ReadyNAS is based on a Linux 2.6 core.

Rolf.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who cares?

Transmission is simple, nice to look at, and works a treat.

6. toddmori
    Thumb Up

@Samsara

Yes, Transmission is the only way to go on a mac

7. James

I use

Transmission its great but it has no ability to create DHT torrents :(.

Another client can't hurt! Maybe it will cause an 'arms' race.

There aren't many descent clients on the mac.

8. Adrian Taylor
    Thumb Up

transmission

same here a vote for transmission, very light load on the system, simple and elegant

it has ip blocking and encryption

9. fluffy

I go simpler

Tomato Torrent is my weapon of choice. Simple, fast, and elegant. http://sarwat.net/bittorrent/

10. Seán
    Jobs Horns

Transmission on Gnome

I loved Azureus but they changed the name to zorba or something and for downloading transmission does the job just fine. All the lovely extra plugins on Azureus are sweet but since BT started fucking me over with their FUD horseshit I kill everything off when the ratio hits 1:1 so transmission is all I need.

11. David Kelly

Vuze (formerly Azureus)

Azureus is now called Vuze, and it's excellent.

12. Alastair

Azuerus/Vuze

I'm stuck using it for now. Absolute resource hog, but I don't feel safe downloading without the SafePeer plugin that blocks IPs from record companies and the like.

I'd use PeerGuardian but it does its blocking to every bloody application, so Google and MSN went all wonky for me. I got sick of that quickly.

13. Chris
    Alien

re: NETGEAR ReadyNAS

[quote]NETGEAR ReadyNAS

By Rolf Harris Posted Friday 26th September 2008 15:24 GMT

Linux

The NETGEAR line of ReadyNAS (used to be Infrant ReadyNAS) products like the ReadyNAS Duo, NV+, and Pro have a built-in official BitTorrent client, and so you can download BitTorrent files directly to the NAS, and with the Duo for example only consuming about 25W of power, you're pretty damn green compared to leaving your PC on - I do this at home :-)

"Tux" because ReadyNAS is based on a Linux 2.6 core.

Rolf.

[/quote] And how much does this baby cost? A few grand?

14. Chris

@ Rolf Harris

dang a grand for a box to turn your puter off and let your torrent running... Its cheaper to leave your pc on anyway...

15. Scott Mckenzie

xTorrent

Always worked very well for me.... regular updates to fix any glitches and works nicely.

http://www.xtorrentp2p.com/

16. Danny Traynor

xtorrent

Has anyone actually PAID for a bittorrent client?

....wierd.

17. Law
    Thumb Up

@ Michael

I think a small bitorrent capable box already exist... I've been looking into getting some sort of media caddy that is capable of both hdmi output, and playback of mkv container formats, basically because I hate having my media centre warming the room up and whirring every few minutes..... so far I've found:

http://www.popcornhour.com/onlinestore/index.php?pluginoption=catalog&task=info&item_id=5&main_id=0&category_id=

and:

http://www.istarhd.com/productpage/overview.html

I'm tempted by the popcorn system mainly... and from the looks of it it also has built in support for bittorrent protocols so you should be able to do what you want. Not a fan of bittorrents really though, tends to crash the cheap routers I've been getting from the last few ISP's I used.... so newsgroups all the way!! :)

18. Spoonguard
    Flame

µ idiots

it µTorrent!

M. TORRENT.

µµµµµµµµµµµ

19. Miladin Miladinoski
    Thumb Down

@Spoonguard

There are more terible things than a single typo.

20. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Unhappy

I'm downloading the entire Internet

Please seed!!!!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like