back to article German man arrested after UK gamer's murder

A German gamer has been arrested on suspicion of murdering a British man who ran a website devoted to the Nintendo DS game series Advanced Wars. Matthew Pyke, 20, of North Sherwood Street, Nottingham, was found stabbed to death at his flat one week ago. Advanced_Wars A screenshot from Advanced Wars: Dark Conflict On …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

As usual,

do not make an enemy in public or you'll be the prime suspect if they turn up dead.

Do I think he did it? No idea. I mean if this german's been making trouble with him and his girlfriend maybe she did it.

For all I know it was Paris what dunnit.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Erm..... where's the evidence...?

Sheesh - the evidence that they're going on is that he posted apologies on FaceSpace.com...?!? Wow, even Aunt Jessica looks for more concrete evidence than that before accusing someone of murder.

3. Tim Spence
    Joke

Any relation...

...to Rudolf? Does bad, and then tries to make peace.

4. !!11oneeleven
    Alert

Uhm, .... wtf?!

That is all

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For you, ze war is over...

How pathetic

6. Bad Beaver

Prone

to become quite interesting. Would one really be that stoooopid?

7. Mike Lovell
    Coat

Was always going to happen

I think the guy had no alternative but to take it outside the game. He got serious p0wned last time I saw him play.

There's only so much of an online kicking a man can take.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Violent... RTS?

Oh no, another tragedy in which a person loses their life because of a videogame. Now we must ban these violent murder simulators like Civilization and SimCity, so other poor children aren't murdered in their beds. Help us Jack Thompson, you're our only hope!

9. Craig

Ahhh

So thats what that was.

And heres me assuming it was just drugs related.

10. tom

not to nitpick, but...

it's "Advance Wars".

Excellent series of games, esp the earlier ones.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Now that's seriously messed up

I mean, it's a game, for crying out loud. It's not real. Get a life; not take a life.

12. yeah, right.

echo...

The article only mentions the Facebook thing for "evidence". There's nothing else? They are extraditing someone from Germany based strictly on THAT? Or is there more but el Reg got a "no comment" and didn't dig any deeper?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

europe

Welcome to Europe

14. Wayland Sothcott
    Black Helicopters

Student Murders

He was from Suffolk and was about to begin a Physics Degree.

The two stabbed french students did a project on Bird Flu

The two Albanian women stabbed, one was a student.

Any more student stabbings?

15. theotherone

that's what happens

that's what happens when you play too much .... you get out of touch with reality

16. Ivan Headache

The murder was subcontracted out

So Tesco did it.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

title need.

Unless they are leaving some thing out, the bar to extradite some in EU is very low.

If this all they had on the guy McKinley never had a chance.

18. Seán

Phew

Great they think the kraust did it, I successfully fed them the false trail and now I get off scot free. ha ha stupid pigs I am not typing this on facebook so it's not evidence. Victory is mine!!!1

19. Tobin

Get a life

I love this talk of "reality" and "real life". Who put you in charge? Why is your pathetic little life "real" and someone else's not? Very strange form of bigotry.

20. DZ-Jay

Where'd the subtitle go?

I like the new look, but I just noticed that on RegHardware pages, the "subtitle" does not show up. For example, on this page, the subtitle below the headline on the front page is "Online war of words went too far?", but it doesn't appear on article page itself.

Is this on purpose?

-dZ.

21. Dave The Cardboard Box
    Unhappy

Coppers eh?

and they look down their noses at fast track candidates because all they have to offer is their university education, above average IQ's and a grasp of logic. Nothing compared to following your instinct AKA mirroring public hysteria. Let's hope they find the black, Muslim, asylum seeking, Romanian, fat-cat hedge fund manager who actually is responsible. He is probably twiddling his greasy moustache even as I type.

22. Robbie
    Stop

A title is required.

Limburg is holland ( dutch ) its a province.... lays bordering to germany. google maps anyone?

23. Robert E A Harvey
    Coat

IRTA

I read the headline as "German man arrested after UK grammar murder" and it still made sense. And I thought "good"

Mine's the one with the glasses in the pocket.

24. raph
    Coat

Holland ?

There is a Limburg region in Holland, but there's also Limburg in Hessen (Frankfurt, Wiesbaden area).

I rather wonder whether anyone checked if he has even been to the UK at the time? With the rather extreme (for within EU) border controls, they should be able to check that, no?

...mine's the one with the passport I didn't need yesterday since the government got my Iris scan.

25. B Ward

'ello 'ello what's all this then?

Umm I hope the police have stronger evidence like proper forensics linking the purported criminal to it other than facebook. If not then this is one very desperate police force clutching at straws and trying to not look bad.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@Robbie

Google Maps, indeed.

Limburg is not only a province in the Netherlands, but also a town about 30mi to the Northwest of Frankfurt, in Central Germany. The official name is Limburg an der Lahn (the Lahn is the river it's situated next to). Lovely place, worth a visit if you're in the vicinity.

<smartarse>

BTW, you should refer to the Netherlands as Netherlands in the future, in order to avoid confusion, since North Holland and South Holland are also provinces of the Netherlands.

</smartarse>

Paris, because why not...

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Evidence

What's all this argument about there being insufficient evidence?

People, the police have arrested somebody on SUSPICION of murder. Now I'm not sure about German law, but in English law you don't need a concrete case to arrest somebody. Nor do you need a complete case to charge them. That case is presented when the case comes to court. In any case the doubters are arguing with what was presented in the story, not with the evidence the police actually have.

Anyway read the story again. It says the suspect was arrested AFTER posting a message on facebook, not BECAUSE he posted a message. Time some people learned to read, methinks. And probably time they learned to realise that a few brief paragraphs on a news site are a long way from being the whole story.

28. Chris C

Evidence preferred, but not necessary

In this day and age, in virtually any trial it seems (but especially a technology-related trial or an emotional trial such as murder or any trial involving children), evidence is no longer required. It's preferred to have actual evidence, but it's not necessary. Today's juries will convict regardless of whether or not evidence exists or proof was established. It's groupthink at its finest. If you want an example, just look at the previous comments here. There are a number of people who appear to believe he did it, though I can't possibly understand why.

It's sad that someone's life was senselessly and violently ended prematurely. It's sadder that his family and friends have to carry this with them and try to go on with their own lives. But the saddest, in my opinion, is that our (and by "our", I mean society's) need for "justice" and revenge is so great that things like proof or reasonable doubt are ignored in a pathetic attempt to "solve" everything with the least amount of work possible.

29. Damiaen
    Go

@ Robbie

Try searching for "Limburg Duitsland" in Google Maps.

30. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Limburg in Holland

There is a Limburg (an Der Lahn) just off the A3, 75km north of Frankfurt. Google Maps anyone!

btw. Holland is also a province in the Netherlands, just like Limburg is a province and not the name of the country..... Geography anyone?

31. stizzleswick
    Coat

Re: Evidence

Far as I gather from very little and quick research, for an arrest to happen in Germany, a judge must make out an arrest warrant, which he can only do if sufficient evidence exists to bring a case to trial within a limited period of time. A suspect can only be held by police without such an arrest warrant for max. 48 hours. I can imagine that the requirements for extradition will exceed what is given by the evidence of two identical, rather innocent-sounding messages sent through electronic media...

32. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Recent student murders.

"He was from Suffolk and was about to begin a Physics Degree.

"The two stabbed french students did a project on Bird Flu

"The two Albanian women stabbed, one was a student.

"Any more student stabbings?"

The two chinese students in Manchester (who were involved in international football betting fraud).

Wasn't there a pair killed in the south west (?Bristol?) too? Or was that the Albanians?

33. Luke Wells
    Paris Hilton

Normal behaviour?

If you were a complete shit to someone for a period of time and then they died, you would feel bad when you found out they had died.

This might cause you to want to speak to that person close family and apologise for the way you behaved before that person died. That does not automatically responsible for the death.

I do hope they have some other evidence other that a facebook apology ?

Paris Hilton - Chief of police

34. Geoff Mackenzie

According to the Independent:

Part of the actual note posted to Facebook read:

"I will pray for you, Jo. You must be suffering unbelievable pains. I'm sorry for having caused so much trouble lately. I hope you won't lose all your hope. We will be there for you."

This sounds like a message of sympathy from someone feeling guilty about recent arguments with the victim to me.

35. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Relevance?

How is it relevant that the dead guy is a gamer?

FYI, the series is called "Advance" Wars.

This topic is closed for new posts.