back to article China's Shenzhou VII is go

China's Shenzhou VII spacecraft blasted off today at 13:10 GMT from Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwestern Gansu Province atop a Long-March II-F rocket. The mission marks the communist state's third manned space jaunt, and the first to include a spacewalk - if all goes according to plan. The Shenzou VII launch. Pic: …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gareth Jones Silver badge

Traditional

A long tradition of being used on two previous occasions then?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Traditional?

"They are apparently supplied with a traditional remedy to combat the effects of "space motion sickness""

Really? Traditional Chinese remedies for space sickness?

How clever of them, for a nation on it's third space flight...

3. John Savard

Designations

I had thought that the Chinese did have an official term of their own, even in English, for their astronauts, but it wasn't 'Taikonaut', which has only been unofficially advocated by some Chinese individuals. However, according to Wikipedia, their own terms, yuhangyuan and hangtianyuan are only used in Chinese, and in English, they just use 'astronaut'. My Google search also turned up the use of 'taikonaut' in a recent Xinhua report, so this seems to have changed.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. P. Lee
    Linux

cosmonaut?

and there was me thinking they were just commenting on the value of women's magazines...

Tux, because there's no "Duck!" icon.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

inner mongolia

what's the chances of me getting a job as a nintendonaut?

also, is there a kitchen on the ISS? can the one making the food be the gastronaut?

i can go all day....

good grief. i never realized there was an 'inner mongolia'!

nurse, i need to refil my meds...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cosmos

"After all, if the Russians can have "cosmonaut"..."

But of course - "cosmos" undisputedly is a russian word.

8. Jos
    Alien

Good to know tomorrow will be succesful too..

They are safe tomorrow as well and will appear 12 seconds ahead of schedule to the tracking ships...

http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/151564/xinhua_runs_spacewalk_story_before_astronauts_leave_earth.html

Nice forward thinking going on in the Chinese space program :-)

Cheers,

Jos

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like