back to article Nokia swallows Skype on tablet deal

Nokia has made Skype telephone services available via its N800 internet tablet. The telephone maker said in a statement issued today that existing Nokia users will be able to download Skype for the N800 model from its website. Using Skype, N800 customers should be able to make calls where ever there is a wireless internet …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Already happened last week

The firmware upgrade which adds Skype compatibility (as well as a load of other things such as 8 gigabyte memory card compatibility, an upgraded browser with the latest version of Flash, better touch sensitivity etc) was already made available last week.

You can download the new firmware right now by going to this page:

http://europe.nokia.com/A4305010

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

...oh yeah and...

...you can also use Skype through any 3G bluetooth mobile phone.

I don't know why Nokia keeps pushing the wifi angle, most of the time the mobile connection is the most convenient to use as mobile networks have much better coverage than wifi. They're not that expensive to use for data any more if you have an unlimited net access agreement with your network.

3. Rob

Gizmo is better anyway

www.gizmoproject.com

Even my technologically inept grandma can use this to call me from her house in france. It doesn't have video calling but it's based on a proper standard unlike skype and works with quite a few nokia phones, as well as the 770 and N800.

4. Simon

...oh yeah and...

...you can also use Skype through any 3G bluetooth mobile phone.

I don't know why Nokia keeps pushing the wifi angle, most of the time the mobile connection is the most convenient to use as mobile networks have much better coverage than wifi. They're not that expensive to use for data any more if you have an unlimited net access agreement with your network.

The reason why Nokia is going to be pushing Wifi over 3G is mainly to do with reliability, while 3G is ever growing an with HSDPA coming in things are getting better however with the data speeds you can get through Wifi using Skype should normally give you a service comparable to regular phone call, with 3G and when your on the move in particular the fluctuating 3G signal is going to vary the quality of the call you get..

On a side note, not all networks are permitting the use of such applications and are actually blocking the data ports necessary for them to function..

5. Sam Machin

No Video

The skype client for the N800 doesn't seem to support Video! I purchased one of these on the promise of skype support and seeing as they've included a video camera for 'internet calling' I think it's reasonable to expect Skype to use it!

Instead I'm stuck with only the proprietary nokia video call client which means I can only call people with Windoze who've installed yet another communications client, Skype is by far the best video conf app out there as it works across multiple platforms and behind whatever kind of horrible hotel NAT & firewall you may come across, Come on Nokia stop giving us half arsed products.

</rant>

6. Neil Anderson

No Video?

Excellent. Too bad it doesn't look like it has video. Video sure adds to the experience.

Neil Anderson

http://www.cyclelogicpress.com

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like