back to article SCCs, MIDs to achieve laptop-matching sales by 2013

Computer buyers will together acquire some 10m Small, Cheap Computers and handheld net browsers this year, but five years from now the total will have rocketed to 200m. So claims market watcher ABI Research, which reckons that volume of demand will value the market for these devices at $27bn come 2013. Interestingly, while …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Marvin the Martian
    Thumb Down

Wow, how much do these people get paid?

Get paid for making up numbers out of nowhere? Two years ago nobody knew the existence of SCC's, now everybody wants an EEElookalike. If you'd asked them 2years ago if they wanted an overgrown Treo/Crackberry but without phone connection at 250quid, most would have said no.

So? What is the value of these 5year projections?

2. b
    Go

they are what "laptop's" always should have been!

bring it on..

i just want 3 usb's, an SDD and a res of around 1024x768..

once that's acheived, i'm in!

cheers,

bill

p.s. stuff and nonsense: http:///www.eupeople.net/forum

3. Sam Green
    Alert

Again, it's actually...

laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot laptot.

4. Ewen Bruce
    Go

Deja Vu?

Didn't someone say "Laptop sales are forecast next year to exceed desktop sales for the first time ever" last year, or was it the year before that, or maybe the year before......

How much do these people get paid for making stuff up? I see a new career ahead. Did you know sales of small white things are forecast to outstrip sales of larger grey things at some undetermined point in the future, maybe, unless something else happens?

That'll be £500 quid please.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@ Bill

Err, that's the spec of most SCCs now in the market. Albeit that they have a widescreen res of 1024x600 instead of the now unpopular 4:3 resolutions of old.

e.g. Acer Aspire One - SSD, 1024x600, 3 usb - £200

6. W
    Alien

@ AC 13:42

You'd think he'd realise, wouldn't you? What with the echo of all those El Reg articles he cut'n'pastes to his otherwise largely empty forum. (That El Reg seems to be strangely happy to promote).

I think we can add Bill to the list of "special" folk that hang around these here parts, along with aManfromMars and Webster Phreaky. El Reg just wouldn't be the same without 'em.

And I miss the days when Mr Mars had his own icon. It's still there, ready for use though @ http://www.reghardware.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/mars_48.png

7. b
    Stop

only the dell has 3 usb's..

only dell, as far as i'm aware has 3 usb's.

most achieve 600px, the HP2133 and the gigabyte get higher, but the HP has feeble power and gets hot..and the gigabyte has only a 4gb sdd.

anyway, thanks for the unwarranted flames, "w"..why don't you join the forum and share your views?

..step into my web..

8. Mr Floppy
    Paris Hilton

@ only the dell has 3 usb's

> only dell, as far as i'm aware has 3 usb's

If you're not aware, therefore it doesnt exist?

9. druck Silver badge
    Go

7 to 1

Since I bought the original EEE PC 701, 7 of my friends and colleagues have bought SCC's (mainly EEE PC 900s, and MSI Winds), only one of them is running Windows. I think that's a good indication that the SCC market is growing, and in the right direction.

10. dave

And the Advent 4211

has three USB ports. Only 1024x600 though.

11. b
    Thumb Up

yes dave..

yes you're right..tho i had to check, it wasn't on pcworlds site, had to go http://www.techguys.co.uk/ to see it..(that site belongs to pc world as well, apparently)

3 usb ports..doesn't say if they are usb2, tho..be weird if they weren't..

;)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like