back to article HTC TyTN 'super 3G' smart phone

HTC, the company behind the T-Mobile MDA, O2 XDA and Orange SPV mobile phones, not to mention a host of others offered by less well-known vendors, has broken away from its white label roots to offer its phones without operator customisation. The TyTN is one of the first... It's a Windows Mobile 5.0 device that features Wi-Fi …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James Reynolds

Frankly lacking the SD slot will be a major Blow

My first noticeable flaw is most definately the lack of an SD card slot

as this would render the device unable to tackle Satelite navigation like Current MDA's XDA's

where you utilise the large file software from SD and then conect to the postioner by Bluetooth

this is functionality i currently utilise on an Ipaq 2210 and an

Orange SPV m5000

so all in all not a product id move to!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lacking the SD slot will be a major blow? Me thinks not.

Swapping the SD for a MicroSD this device is going to be more than capable of working such things as GPS etc.

The world has been waiting for such a device for a long time. Unfortunately it is not that great for people that copy their friends in what they buy. It doesn't have the high pixel camera or as James has stated a SD slot but this is not a phone that you give to your mother. It is a perfect business replacement device compared to Blackberry and once people realise these "Bigsmall" devices can live up to it, it's going to be bye bye Blackberry and the possible addition of "Bigsmall" in our dictionary with the help of our friendly car manufacturer.

It's coming, and it's gonna be big!

3. Morely Dotes

Insufficient memory

If one is going to produce a small PC, one should expect it to be used like a PC. 64MB RAM is not nearly enough for that. A bare minimum is going to be 256 MB, and a 512 MB option would be extremely welcome.

The TyTn as-is will not get my money. Make it a functional laptop replacement by increasing the RAM, and give it backward-compatible cell phone functions (so I can use it in most of the USA and Canada), and add a microUSB port so an external modem or network card can be attached, and we have a winner. However, at 560 Pounds Sterling, it's already far too pricey to be realistic. For that money I can have a full notebook with cell modem *and* a portable DVD player.

So I guess that HTC is still thinking they're only catering to the "more money than brains " crown.

4. Jon Fitt

Ticks all the boxes, but how reliable is it?

It has all the features you could want (the microSD slot is not a problem), but I want to know how it actually performs.

I have the M500 which is an HTC New Jam running Windows Pocket PC 2003SE, and when it's good, it's good, but when it's bad, it locks up frequently, and twice has completely reset itself losing all data.

The pocket PCs have all of the functionality I want in my phone, but so far lack the reliability I require. Let's hope this TyTN is better.

5. Paul Knight

screen res

I have an MDA at the moment mine locks up as well, i would hope that this one is better. also i wish they had gone for a 640x480 screen res like most of the other PDA's on the market , i'd love to get hold of one and take it for a test drive.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HTC TyTN

I just bought a HTC TyTN. First thing that happened with phone was it froze. I have done several soft reboots, and hard reboots, it still freezes after less then a minute. I don't know what causes the phone to freeze, but I suspect it's Windows 5.0 that doesn't work to well together with this handset. Anyone else with a similar problem?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like