back to article NASA, USAF in $30m hypersonic boffinry push

The US air force and NASA have launched a joint research push to advance hypersonic flight technology. The air force research lab and space agency are seeking university and industry partners, and are offering $30m in funding. Hypersonic for this purpose is defined as five times the speed of sound or faster. Thus far, very few …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom Chiverton
    Boffin

Pedant point

"Hypersonic for this purpose is defined as five times the speed of sound or faster"

The speed of sound *in what* ?

2. Secretgeek
    Thumb Up

Two things.

Firstly the serious one - $30 million? Isn't that pocket change to these establishments? Given that, as intimated in the article, the issues to be overcome will require significant research and advances in multiple areas including materials technology and chemistry, $30 mill really seems like a let's throw a few coppers out there and see what comes back kind of plan. Good luck with that.

Second - 'slap the pendulous jowls of established wisdom with the gauntlet of disregard' - I love, I'm going to use it.

3. Bayleaf

Lunchtime

"The Pentagon's famous bad-boy scientists, DARPA* - who slap the pendulous jowls of established wisdom with the gauntlet of disregard ".

Do you deliberately wait until lunchtime before you post these articles - you must have shares in a keyboard manufacturer,

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Getting over the Humph

> slap the pendulous jowls of established wisdom with the gauntlet of disregard

Somebody's been listening to Just a Minute

5. Lewis Page (Written by Reg staff)

Just a minute

No I haven't. The fellow routinely steals my ideas in advance.

6. Mitchell Fraser

@Chiverton

The speed of sound in whatever you are flying through.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

> slap the pendulous jowls of established wisdom with the gauntlet of disregard

I'm keeping that one in my notes.

Thanks!

8. John
    Coat

@Pedant point

"the speed of sound *in what*?"

In metres per second, presumably.

Although, being American, they probably express it in some bonkers mediaeval measure such as acres per square pound.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Speed of sound

Is generally accepted as being approximately 762 mph at sea level (I know... it's a measurement though, I doubt anyone's done that, or survived if they did) at STP.

Better expressed as a Mach number - for example, the transitional value for the Hypersonic transition is < Mach 5

What's the difference? Well, Mach numbers are effectively dimensonles numbers. Which can clarify the math somewhat.

10. Paul R
    Coat

@Tom Chiverton

I just developed a system that allows me to travel at more than five times the speed of sound... in a vacuum. What do I win?

11. Fluffykins Silver badge

@ Paul R

A SHEEP!

Actually, its been a while since the RSU (Reg System of Units) had an airing.

and, @ AC - Wasn't there a land speed record attempt fairly recently that busted the sound barrier? At STP? And the driver survived?

If that doesn't slap the pendulous jowls of established wisdom with the gauntlet of disregard, I dunno what does

12. jim parker

Getting over the Humph

I think you mean Humphs wonderful exit lines from "I'm sorry I haven't a clue"

13. mr_greedy
    Go

Can we have our British hypersonic spaceplane now?

Remember the Skylon?

http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/skylon_overview.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skylon

14. Jason Harvey
    Coat

to infinity and beyond!

faster... faster...

mines the one with the NASA badge on the shoulder

15. Steve May

Very very fast indeed

I believe this record still stands.

ProjectSageburner

http://steeljawscribe.com/2007/03/23/flightdeck-friday-the-yf4h-1-phantom-ii-operations-skyburner-and-sageburner

I also believe this record cannot now be competed for, 'cause it's too damn dangerous.

16. Jesse
    Stop

Counter pedant point

You already know 'what' based on the context. If not, this article is already above your education level.

17. Warhelmet
    Black Helicopters

Skylon?

Oh, but even before Skylon...

HOTOL and before that things like the Hawker Siddeley APD.1019/H1 - designed to be capable of Mach 10.

18. Chris G

Plagiarists?

Maybe Darpa already has all of Alan Bond's research to hand and in due course will present it as their own. It wouldn't be the first time that the tea dumpers have claimed British developments for their own.

19. Pascal Monett Silver badge

I've got to say it

"who slap the pendulous jowls of established wisdom with the gauntlet of disregard"

Priceless !!

20. Steve
    Coat

Re: Speed of sound?

Ah, but is it an African or European sound?

Mine's the one with shrubbery in the pcoket....

21. Lee Humphries
    Go

Hypersonics for $2million

Why they seem to keep ignoring these guys is beyond me. Maybe its the fact it wasn't made in the US, didn't cost enough, or that they're trying to use off the shelf componentry. Anyway, they still beat NASA to a working scramjet.

http://www.uq.edu.au/hypersonics/?page=19501

http://www.abc.net.au/science/slab/hyshot/default.htm

22. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So, much money.

The copious amount of money they spend on these things, could be spent getting research done into what has not been done before.

Principle: research, develop, prove, patent, adopt for whatever project and license. Prove the basic grounds and elements one at a time for the project and use and work up until you have enough for the actually project. Think small, think simple, practical steps. Be innovative and work out the practical (is that allowed).

And don't try to spend copious amounts of money trying to prove there used to be bacterial life on mars, find something more useful, like drive research that will allow you to do much more research much cheaper for even similar amounts of money that you would have spent trying to do it with present technologies into the distant future.

Wayne Morellini.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like