back to article California Academy of Sciences: A new lease on life

The grand dame of natural history museums in the American west gave a sneak peak to the press last week, after a multi-year green reconstruction and all-around face lift. The results are impressive: One of the ten largest natural science museums in the world, San Francisco’s California Academy of Sciences has - for the second …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Did the architect ...

also design the tele-tubbies house?

2. Marvin the Martian
    Thumb Up

Building aquaria in an earthquake zone?

Smart move. I hope they remember to quickly fill it with rare animals.

"They told me I shouldn't build an aquarium in an earthquake zone, so I went ahead and did it anyway. That aquarium cracked, but I rebuilt it, and the next quake got it. The third aquarium got hit by a wall, fell over, and only then cracked. But the fourth aquarium, my lad, will one day be yours..."

Where's the SwampCastle icon, because enough management stories are about such enterprises?

3. WonkoTheSane

Sneek Peek?

Actually, it was the guy who gave the world "The Pompidou Centre".

There was a "Megastructures" documentary on the building of this a few weeks ago on either National Geographic or Discovery Science (I forget which). So much for a "sneek peek".

4. Angus
    Thumb Up

@ Marvin

Hell yeah the Swamp castle icon gets my vote. :)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Mega building

I saw the superb Megastructures program on Discovery about building the new academy.

It showed how they overcome the earthquake problem by joining all parts of the foundations together underground so the whole building will move as one piece in the event of an earthquake.

highly recommended TV if it's repeated (as with all Megastructures episodes!!).

This topic is closed for new posts.