back to article Samsung to launch '€400' Blu-ray/HD DVD player next month

Samsung will launch its promised dual-format HD DVD/Blu-ray Disc player in Europe next month, the company has said, and industry insiders are already claiming the machine could be priced at just €400 ($548/£271). Samsung apparently revealed its plan to launch the player, the BD-UP5000, at a recent preview event for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

So now a customer has to pay €400 to get shafted ?

Well that certainly is an improvement of sorts. But with all the DRM and mistrust that permeates Sony products nowadays, I'll stick to DVD and something I can control.

When the player/recorder is down to €70, when the list of available titles goes over the 10,000 mark and when I can easily find a crack for the DRM infection, I might consider paying for the privilege of being another customer Sony is just waiting to sell more boot-sector malware to.

Nah, on second thought Sony can just can it. I'm through with Sony products.

Pascal.

2. Iain

Sony?

What have Sony got to do with this, other than as one of the many people behind one of the formats the device can handle?

Personally, I've already got the HD-DVD add-on for the 360, so I'm not in a hurry to buy a new player, but this is still good news.

3. Matt

more great journalism

why can't you write something new and incisive on the subject instead of copying and pasting your own original article in to bush it out? Let me guess, you get paid per word, right....?

4. John Dawson

oops - rumour is wrong again (probably)

If you go back to the source of all this (in Germany IIRC), you will find it is supposed to cost 400 Euros MORE than a standard Blu-ray only player. If you think about it that makes a lot more sense and implies a price of more like 800 - 1000 Euros. Anyway we will all know at IFA next month.

See for example http://www.electronista.com/articles/07/07/04/samsung.hybrid.launch.info/

John Dawson

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like