back to article College launches iPhone videogame course

Don’t like the games on your iPhone or iPod Touch? Well, you’ll soon be able to make your own, if you pass the world’s first iPhone videogame course. The iPhone Game Development curriculum has been created by London-based Qantm College as a way of teaching anyone with some experience of videogame design how to expand their …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. D@v3
    Coat

Pedant

last time i check, Amsterdam, isn't a country.

2. David Buckley
    Jobs Horns

hang on...

isn't there a rather ristrictive nda on the iphone sdk?

i thought it was only the employees of a company that could talk about it amongst themselves...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

4k for a 3 month course

Is it me or does that sound a little steep, ok there are no hours quoted but still it sounds like an awful lot when a) it says you need gaming experience and b) the iphone is only a different platform with some new possibilities but its still only a new platform.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

iPhone games course?

Why not just do computer games tech or something similar at Abertay or one of those places? *checks* Okay, so it's 1/16th or so as long and not in Dundee. BUT it's vastly more useful- what's the iPhone games qual going to be worth 4 versions of the software down the line? And do the students get all the normal privileges an Apple developer would get (access to SDK, derision from peers, phreaky's rants as an email, that sort of thing?)

If it was Apple themselves who'd created a qualification and this college was providing the course (as I believe Cisco and Microsoft do) then fair enough. But this just sounds like another "David Beckham Studies" style cynical grab at money at best.

5. Edwin
    Jobs Horns

Fab...

But it won't get Apple-accreditation unless Steve gets 50% of the course proceeds and 50% of the sales of any game developed by course-takers.

Silly bandwagon-hoppers...

6. Rob
    Go

It probably happened because....

.... some lecturer who salivates over his iphone thought it was a good idea, convinced his numpty of a manger (who was probably a lecturer 3months ago and has no managerial experience but was promoted anyway). Before anyone with any kind of sense knew about the course it was being advertised by said lecturer in the usual appalling word art poster way (cause he probably believes cause he owns an Apple something he has design skills) and it was all too late then.

The above can be applied to most new courses that don't really make sense to us normal folk as to why they are being run.

7. Adam T
    Thumb Down

Insane

£4k is an insane amount of money. If you're going to learn to do something, do it properly and put yourself through a computer science degree.

iPhone development is as difficult as buying a mac and learning to program - and that shouldn't cost anyone 4k... more like £60 for a few second hand books from Amazon and a few weeks of heads-down focus for a novice.

I don't think the NDA will be a big hurdle - Apple have just announced the University programme, no doubt they'll extend it to Academies. But I do think - like 90% of "gaming academies" that this stinks of racketeering.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like