back to article MI6 agent's moustache falls off during TV interview

The first ever British spy to purposely appear as such on TV had his false moustache fall off during filming, it has been revealed. The Telegraph reports today on the embarrassing disguise failure, which took place during the recording of an interview for BBC TV's The One Show. Beeb journo Justin Rowlatt was questioning the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Says it all really

Typical of things the way they are now here in Stalag Britain. Do they really think a tash will disguise someone? Duh

2. Chris Barrett
    Paris Hilton

Was it on or off?

I realise that the headline "MI6 Agents Moustache Peels Off Slightly During TV Interview" wouldn't be as sensational, but, as the story clearly states, the 'tache was starting to come away but didn't actually take flight as I expected it to have done from the headline. El Reg - resist the tabloid urge, please!

Paris, because she'd never embarrass herself with bodily hair slippage.

3. alan
    Joke

Good thing

the nose and glasses stayed on.......

4. Nick

Porton Down.

He should have gone to Porton Down and come down with a dose of pixelisation.

5. Bad Beaver
    Happy

oh the peculiar inhabitants of the British Isles

I never realised Monty Python's was actually a documentary.

6. amanfromMars Silver badge

Spooks and Crocks.... Deadheads and Men in Frocks

It is indeed Sad that MI6 have become under Scarlett Watch*, an Object of Fun and Derision.

* That is if he is still hiding out on the Thames Embankment strutting his strange stuff.

PS It could all be just an elaborate set up though which they could plausibly/elaborately deny to save face.

Okay, I admit that that is just too implausible..... I'll go and have a wee lie down in a darkened room.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Didn't they spot...

His eyes popping out on the end of springs, not to mention the fake nose?

8. Martin
    Joke

Not very good

at slug-balancing then?

9. Andy Bell
    IT Angle

Don't fear

I trust the bright orange clown wig stayed firmly attached.

Oh, and IT ?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Robot roll-call

There's something very endearingly English about this. Presumably the spy has it written into his contract that he can never grow a natural moustache, and that he can never use a moustache as a disguise when travelling abroad. Does he have Groucho Marx glasses as well?

I imagine a Bond plot in which Bond, immediately after performing a heroic act of cunnilingus, delivers the immortal line "I'm sorry dear, I seem to have lost my moustache in your muff. Let me retrieve it immediately".

11. Adam C

RE: Don't fear

For the gazillionth time. ITS BOOTNOTES. Pay attention! :P

12. David Hicks
    Black Helicopters

It's a carefully planned image management exercise

it's all in hand, never fear, our heroic spies are simply giving the impression or incompetence so that nobody will ever expect them to be the world's best....

Actually, due to ever increasing budget cuts it's just as likely that they had to use water and flour as they couldn't afford any real glue.

13. Tim

British

I must say that it's typical of british workmanship maybe he should have drawn one on like Groucho Marx.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wouldn't make much difference...

...if the entities that would be interested in the identity of the spook already has access to a database of almost every citizen the spookbelongs to. If so these entities would also have access to biometric/facial recognition system, w/c can (or is by default) exclude facial hairs in finding a match. Unless ofcourse the "moustache" is actually facial hair that covers the whole face (a-la werewolf).

15. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@Wouldn't make much difference...

Expect this to be the "hot look" of 2009.

16. Adam Williamson
    Happy

Cunning trick

Of course, the real trick is - he actually *does* have a mustache.

Yep, these guys are just that good. Scared yet?

17. Kevin Campbell
    Thumb Up

English. JOHNNY English.

So MI6 has actually employed Rowan Atkinson? Obviously, they didn't see the movie...

18. Anonymous Coward
    Boffin

Energy Efficiency?

Why wasn't the Beeb using LEDs instead of those old-fangled arc-light thingies?

19. Moss Icely Spaceport
    Coat

Hair today

Gone tomorrow!

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pay peanuts, get monkeys

If you check the pay scales for SIS jobs (remembering these jobs are usually located in London), you might conclude that they are unlikely to attract candidates of the highest calibre. On seeing the pay offered in a job advert, my Russian wife commented "it is no wonder we can buy them so easily".

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like