back to article SiCortex cranks clocks on mega MIPS machines

Supercomputer maker SiCortex launched its first MIPS-based Linux machines back in November 2006 and has been gradually ramping up sales. To help make its sales pitch easier, the company this week announced a kicker to its original boxes, which now support faster processors, a tweaked software stack, and manufacturing costs that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Fernando Carolo
    Alert

Gentoo is not Debian!

"Gentoo Linux (one of the many flavors of Debian Linux out there)"

Nope. Gentoo is a distro created from scratch, it is not Debian based.

2. Sam
    Stop

errr, Gentoo is what variant of Debian?

"systems software in the variant of Gentoo Linux (one of the many flavors of Debian Linux out there)"

err, might want to check your facts. There are millions of Debian derivatives but sure as hell Gentoo isn't one of them, (IANAGFB - I Am Not A Gentoo Fan Boy).

Sam

3. Darren7160
    Coat

Can I be the one?

To ask, or predict that this might actually run Vista? Wow. Where is my checkbook? Ooops. In the coat that someone just walked out with.

4. Brad Ackerman
    Pirate

Blast from the past

Manufacturing computers in Maynard? Old HPaq facility?

Pirates, because it's still ITLAPD out west of Hawaii.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Gentoo is not a debian flavour

Cheeky bugger - sure there is alien but hey.

Gentoo is from euilds not debs - I supopse you could say it is a Stampede or even a FreeBSD derivative, but Gentooists were certainly not sweating it over the Debian ssh debacle.

Oh it just feels so wrong to think Gentoo came from Debian.

6. Scott
    Thumb Down

1.4 gigaflops @ 700 MHz?

I make that 2 flops per cycle - the 21164 Alpha was doing that back in '94! And they were nearly hitting 700 MHz two years later!

Hmmm, I wonder how they will compare with Dunningtons...

7. Warhelmet

Oooh

But the question is how much to the individual chips cost?

Given that there are various chinese laptots that use mips "compatible" cpus, would it be too much of a stretch for someone to build a laptot around this technology? Especially if some power reducing technology was incorporate - e.g. switching off cores that were not needed.

10 watts isn't too bad. It's on a par with the slower Geode NX cpus. Arguably better than most Celeron Ms. I've no idea mflops an Intel Atom delivers. And MIPS is 64 bit, so comparisons with ARM processors is probably invalid.

Mind you, the chinese are developing the Godson-3 chip, which will have 4 cores and run at 1GHz at 10 Watts, so...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like