back to article Samsung unveils Small, Cheap Computer

Samsung has announced its entry into the Small, Cheap Computer segment, following yesterday's Toshiba unveiling with a stylish SCC of its own. Samsung's NC10 is fitted with a 10.2in, 1024 x 600 display that it stressed was a "non-gloss" panel, perhaps to distinguish it from Acer's shiny Aspire One screen, which the Samsung SCC …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. David Gosnell

SCC staples?

Not the first "C" then?

Oops. This really could have been the one.

2. frog
    Boffin

another day

another netbook.

I was going to get one, now I can't decide which one to get... I guess the only difference between them all is the colour of their cover.

mmm...

I don't want one in boring fake croc skin cover, or even green sustainable bamboo match stick,

I want one in "dried hair ball cat vomit" texturised colour please.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Here we go again...

Cheap - £329? No linux? Bye.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Why won't they learn?

It's perfectly simple. To sell this type of product you should offer:

-- Good battery life: over four hours (?)

-- SSD

-- Linux-based OS

-- £200 or less

I'm off to build one right away. That'll show them...

Paris, because even she would know better.

5. Peter Kay

Taking the piss - 300 quid?!

329 quid is not a 'small cheap computer' by any possible stretch of the definition.

200 quid is cheap(ish). 300 quid is not. Why do companies think that because the initial Eee was successful (because it is cheap) they can add extra functionality and raise the price to non cheap levels?

6. The Jon
    Thumb Down

was excited

until I saw the price. Samsung can make excellent value laptops (like the superb R700), why do they and so may others fail at the SCC brief?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

HOW much!?

£329 sounds a little steep compared to the Aspire One, which it seems comparable to, even if Samsung do make some quality kit.

BTW, any idea how well the Aspire One is selling?

8. Sam

No SSD, no Linux.

Fail.

9. heystoopid
    Paris Hilton

so

So where's the parachute pod team to show case these new babies with the non glossy look ?

10. LINCARD1000
    Thumb Up

Nice - flash drive upgradeable?

All criticisms at the price and availability of XP aside, this is actually one of the best looking netbooks of the lot I reckon... Question is, would it be relatively easy to 'upgrade' to one of those flash drive thingamies at a later date?

11. This post has been deleted by its author

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

For the first time in a while

WANT. Shame about the cost.

13. David Lawrence
    Thumb Down

Misses by several miles....

Sorry Samsung, you won't be getting my hard-earned.

Too expensive, normal hard drive, and worst of all, XP.

It's stll the Acer One for me. Saw it for under £200 in Dixon's the other day.... fantastic!

14. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

close but no cigar...

If only, it had 2gb of ram ran XP and had an HDMI Port I'd buy it at that price. problem is it doesn't. I'd pay £100 more if it had a BR Player tht could drive the HDMI also...

warm $$$ in my pocket... still waiting...

15. The BigYin
    Thumb Down

Hmm

Too expensive, wrong OS, not enough ram, not enough battery time, nuff said.

16. Nathanael Bastone
    Alert

Double take

When I saw this I had to do a double take, it looks JUST LIKE the aspire one I am writing this on (Linux, natch). I am surprised Acer are not suing. (and its amazing how quickly you get used to using the weird side trackpad buttons and the 600 height screen on an AA1...) In summary, I would not buy this if it came with a free cruise missile... then again....

17. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

...smoke that cigar now

You want 2GB RAM, HDMI and BR for £100 more than this price!! Better smoke that cigar now as you'll be waiting a long time

18. Ramazan
    Thumb Down

fan, HDD, windows

and 1.19kg of Samsung brand should retail way under £150 IMO.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: 200 quid is cheap(ish). STOP MOANING

You're an idiot.

Before the Eee PC, for an ultraportable, anything under £800 was either a massive bargain or a piece of tat knocked up by some bloke in his shed..

£200 is cheap full stop. Stop whining, go away, and don't buy one if you don't want to pay more.

20. ArfinGreebly

Battery Lyfe?

Anyone have a fix on the unplugged run time?

I can do ten hours unplugged on my Fujitsu Lifebook with the second battery in.

Less than four hours is completely uninteresting.

I don't mind squinting a little. I mind very much when the thing expires in a long meeting.

21. wim
    Thumb Down

SCC in Japan = Windows

All the shops here only sell the windows version

No linux to be found anywhere.

Very annoying.

22. druck Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Lets play "they just don't get it" poker

I'll see your no Linux, no SDD, short battery life and too expensive, and I'll raise you silly small cursor keys.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like