back to article US military offered flying hover car bike

A noted US air'n'space crazytechware firm, engaged in building a comparatively humdrum hover killbot, has strongly suggested that their machine could in fact function as the long-yearned-for flying car - or flying bike anyway. The 'Excalibur' sky-bike prototype from Aurora Flight Sciences The proposed aerial steed. Pic: AFS …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Trygve Henriksen

Marginal need?

Imagine a fleet of those statiioned at a M*A*S*H unit...

2. Dave Bell

Combat SAR?

A machine like this, able to carry one man, might be very useful for rescuing downed pilots in a warzone.

If they still have manned aircraft in a warzone when they get the thing flying.

3. Chris G

If this is a bike

Then where are the girls? No self respecting bike manufacturer previews a new model of bike without at least one semi naked bird on or near the bike. Two guys in overalls? It won't sell.

4. Frank
    Thumb Down

Impractical

This is all very well as a technology demonstrator or a local site runabout. However, for practical field use, the provision of green 'string' support and guide ways will be a cost and logistics nightmare. (I assume they are made of fluorescent carbon fibre or similar material....)

5. Gilbert Wham

Flying Killer Bike?

Hovvering death-dealing speeder? Count me in. I want one with frickin' laser beams on it though...

6. Cap'n wotsit
    Paris Hilton

Lawmaster II?

Sorry but the only flying bike that should be allowed is the lawmaster from Judge dredd, all other attempts should be put in the bin.

mines the one with the belly wheel, ugly cream, bat glider suit, and too much time on his hands in the pocket.

oh and Paris, beacuse if I were a Judge she could play with my helmet any time

7. Pete Silver badge

might as well paint a target on the bottom

Given the need to keep weight to an absolute minimum, there's no possibility of hardening this puppy against ground fire. Likewise, once you put a person in it, you remove the capability to kill people from a safe (though not safe for the intended target - or any unfortunates around them) distance.

While it may be faster than walking, at least the infantry has the ability to hide behind things if they come under fire - not much chance of that where there's nothing but air all around you.

That essentially rules out it's use in a combat zone. So you've not left with many opportunities where a good old jeep, or helo wouldn't do a better job faster.

8. Mark Lockwood
    Alien

Rebrand

Just call it a speeder and be done with it.

Oh, and where's my flying car icon?

9. Fluffykins Silver badge

Flying bike 20 odd foot long?

How the blazes d'you pedal THAT?

10. Alex
    Stop

Since when...

..has a 'bike' retailer not had skantily clad, nubile women drapped across the said product!!

Pst.. not very knowledgable on the ol' marketing styles, eh?

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Sorry Needs more chrome and leather

Along with a pillion seat for carrying crumpet back to the pad.

I'd also like a little more control, after all whats the fun in auto pilot?

A good first attempt, Oh and whats the top speed?

12. M
    Go

Well

I'd buy that for a dollar!

13. George
    Alert

One man death machine...

...I think they have been watching too much sci-fi. That thing must make a hell of a noise not to mention big clouds of dust. What happens over water, hot/cold environments with poor lift?

And everything these days is made for "special forces", what about the regulars, you can't make an impractical machine seem more attractive by sticking with "its for the special forces...silly" all the time. It doesn't wash.

14. Steven Raith
    Thumb Up

Sounds like they have been watching too much...

...Return Of The Jedi!

I want.

Steven R

15. Norfolk Enchants Paris
    Paris Hilton

I bet

it could chop a lot of carrots very quickly.

PH as she can handle her carrots.

16. The elephant in the room
    Black Helicopters

Its a chopper baby!

so paint it black and add some chrome, and some leather tassels off its handlebars!

17. TeeCee Gold badge

Special Forces?

I find the idea of a hardened Special Forces type shoehorned into one of these, hundreds of feet off the ground with his eyes screwed tightly shut and all the while muttering "ohshitihopeitdoesn'tgowrong" quite amusing.

18. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Boffin

Fans too small?

I would have throught the fan area even with three fans was a bit small for decent lift, it looks like it would struggl to get airborn with a fully-kitted supergrunt and a decent fuel load. The idea of it as an unmanned rescue vehicle for downed pilots is much more likely given the number of choppers and crews lost by the Yanks in such rescues. Instead of having to assemble a force of rescue choppers, gunships and support aircraft to penetrate enemy airspace and secure an airfield, you simply have a number of airtrikes sitting ready to go at a forward strip. The moment the pilot ejects, you send the airtrike to home in on his rescue beacon, and you could probably have him back just about as soon as he hits the ground. The idea that you could drag yourself aboard and press a button to get going back to base would appeal to injured pilots. You could even send a few other airtrikes as decoys, and maybe divert some Reapers to loiter in the area and shoot-up any enemy forces that try to intervene, all without risking any other aircrew.

19. Christopher E. Stith
    Black Helicopters

medical rescue

Sounds better for helping with mountain and canyon rescue in non-combat situations.

Also, just think: aerial killbot delivers terrestrial killbot to battle, then soften targets for the advance.

Unfortunately, a well-equipped person who's not under fire could also mean a man with a well-zoomed video camera and radio for police-state surveillance.

20. Stevie

Um.

If they can get it to work, will it be licensed like a Reliant so 17-year old kids can drive it?

21. Matthew
    IT Angle

Starwars

Looks like the broke into George's garage

Where are the complimentary Droids?

22. Metal Marv
    Thumb Up

Unreal

Almost as cool as the Manta Hoverbike from Unreal Tournament 2004, and UT3. Now if I can just get one with some cool guns and get it to "Pancake" People then I'll be a happy bunny :D

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like