back to article Bush team takes heat over global warming science

The Bush administration has been meddling in climate research in a bid to downplay the importance of global warming, according to a memo released by the US House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform. The committee held its second hearing on federal interference in climate change science on Monday this week. In his …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stephen

Greengate!?

How in the world can you not see it? Tabloids the world over will soon sell their own Granny for the chance to carry the headlines, and you could've been the first... lies, deceit and full on scumbaggery from the White House about a Green issue and you've not gone for 'Greengate'.

Oh, the shame!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ceti Alpha 5 is warming....

Well Ceti Alpha 5 is warming, so that means it can't possibly be a man made effect.

How could driving SUVs filled with Exxon new '100% organic petrol', possibly cause Ceti Alpha 5 to warm up? It can't! So global warming must be a natural effect, and nothing at all to do with Exxon, so keep using that delicious & nutritious Exxon oil & petrol. Try some today!

3. Wizbor

James Hansen

Google this guy James Hansen. He is anything but non-political. He's all about politics, not science as he claims.

4. Mike Moyle

I'm shocked - SHOCKED, I tell you...!

"(S)ome of the information the committee has already obtained... suggests there may have been a concerted effort directed by the White House to mislead the public..."

Surely not...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Junk Science anyone?

Perhaps the administration is attempting to debunk junk science? Check out

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,258993,00.html

and the associated movie viewable on google

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4520665474899458831

You decide. Is global warming man-made or just part of the planet's normal climate up and down swings?

Personally, I think it's the latter and the global warming advocates are simply blinded to reason because global warming is such a political money pig now.

6. sidney cook

But but our government

Will never lie to us! The earth is fine, the war on terror is going great and they did not fire all those lawyers because they were finding bad stuff on the republicans. Right right, uh oh I think I see a black van out side. I got to run uh I mean log off now.

7. Graham Lockley

Oh dear

'Google this guy James Hansen'

I assume you mean 'do a search on the Internet' by that phrase ?

And of course, it being the Internet, we will all come back with masses of 'truth' about this ;)

Sorry, couldnt resist.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Junk Science anyone?

Providing links to "The Great Global Warming Swindle" isn't a particularly intelligent move as it has been totally debunked, C4 had to edit it before it was rebroadcast as they had faked half the charts in it. The one showing the matchup between solar activity and warming - fake, another graph had been doctored to show a scale going up to the year 2000 when it had been published in the 80's.

Junk science indeed, I presume you also believe that the moon landings were a fake?

9. Ray

Fox's opinion

"Perhaps the administration is attempting to debunk junk science? Check out

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,258993,00.html"

You're not seriously using evidence from the Rupert Murdoch empire as an argument against how governments bend truths for the benefit of major corporations?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/3148015.stm

http://news.independent.co.uk/media/article1202848.ece

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Get your facts right

To whoever posted Junk Science Anyone,

If you actually listened to what has been going on instead of only hearing what you want to, You will have heard that the day after that program was broadcast many of the scientists who contributed were outraged as the video had been manipulated to distort what they were saying. Also the data on the graphs was manipulated and out of date and all of the real data on global warming had been emitted. The program maker was reprimanded, told to make a public apology and may face fines. See

http://www.medialens.org/alerts/07/0313pure_propaganda_the.php or feel free to google and find other news reports on the scam

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hmm, I seem to recall...

That during the late '70's and early '80's that all the CO2 being produced was causing global cooling...now it is causing global warming? And what about the other planets in our own solar system, they are warming too (even that one at the far reaches that they claim is NOT a planet, Pluto). I also wonder if this is just a natural cycle that happens every so often (like it has since the beginning of history and before). Since we know (through written record and geological record) there have been several Ice Ages and associated WARMING periods to boot.

It is funny that all this talk of global warming is going on when most of the USA has suffered one of the coldest winters in a long time...XD

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hurricanes and other weather extremes

No kidding! Where were those massive hurricanes that were supposed to wipe out half of the US? All I got was a mild summer, virtually no rain and a long, cold winter. That's the most I've ever worn my long sleeve shirts.

And yes, the moon landing did happen.

Find out the facts indeed. Here's a fact. Mother nature outproduces man by a factor of about 7 as far as CO2 is concerned. Man is sill pwnt by mother nature. Oh yeah, and facts only go so far, what the truth of the matter is has to do with your own perception. My perception says that global warming may be happening, but it's sure a heck of a lot slower than what Al Gore and his posse seem to think.

13. Brian

And clearly the USA is the only place on earth!

Cry me a river - it was a bit chilly down south. Tell the polar bears that are dying of heat exhaustion there's no problem. They'll listen to you! Then they'll eat you - hopefully.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No consensus, its all false

Global warming indeed!

If there's a scientific consensus on global warming then how come the temperature inside my fridge is still 2 degrees Celsius? Answer me that! It can't be global if its not global and it's not warming inside my fridge, so thats proof that it's not global!

And why has there been no hurricanes in my living room, like I saw on that science program, 'the day after tomorrow', answer me that!

And how will it affect me? I live in Aspen and eat nothing but caviar. Why do I care if land food production will be damaged or coasts will be flooded. My yacht will still float!

I tell you, it's a conspiracy between the Polar bears and the Democrats. There is no scientific consensus because I'm not part of it and I'm a genuine scientixxion.

This topic is closed for new posts.