back to article Apple releases bumper patch batch

Apple has published a major security patch. Mac OS X 10.5.5 is the sixth substantial security update from the company this year. The patch cycle also includes fixes for version 10.4 of Apple's software. Both updates mend DNS security holes in older versions of BIND previously bundled with Apple's software. There are also …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Hud Dunlap
    Jobs Horns

Real irritated at Apple

Apple will always let me know about something new in iTunes but won't e-mail me about a critical security update. I check it every day but then again I am paranoid.

The Apple user that the Mac OS is supposed to target is clueless about these threats and need to be informed.

2. Ian Halstead

Not just security - other flaw fixes as well

Strictly speaking, 10.5.5 is much more than a security fix. Numerous bugs are squashed too. The Tiger update is security only.

Nice to see Apple so deft at getting the DNS flaw fixed. When did Gordon Brown join the board?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Hud Dunlap

'Apple will always let me know about something new in iTunes but won't e-mail me about a critical security update. I check it every day but then again I am paranoid.'

Why don't you just set Software Update to check daily and forget about it?

4. John Fielder

Security fix on an Apple????

I thought Apples didn't need security fixes because they were secure by design! Surely some mistake.

5. Bavenchkee Krycek
    Jobs Horns

Apple is going down

Security is the most important thing when it comes to IT security, and this is where Mac should have invested more money. Yes, OS X is more secure then XP -- but this doesn't give them right ignore all the security holes and not providing any support ontime.

Steve Jobs, neither heaven nor hell wants him...hell wants peace too..

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ Hud Dunlap

Did you disable Software Update's automatic checking or something? Even the most clueless user will at least wonder what that bouncing blue globe in the Dock is for...

7. Chris Buxton
    Boffin

The BIND fix was in a previous security update

Apple put the BIND -P1 versions in a previous update. So the article's subtitle is wrong.

This latest security update includes the -P2 release. There is no security difference between the two, just a performance improvement. Anyone affected by the performance problems of the -P1 release has already found another solution, such as manually updating to a -P2 or beta release, from source code.

8. Trix
    Jobs Horns

What was the rush?

Seriously, who would run serious Internet-facing services on a Mac? How many NS boxes are out there that actually run a Mac OS? I'd be amazed if it cracks 1%.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

@Bavenchkee Krycek

"Security is the most important thing when it comes to IT security"

Tautology much?

10. Scott Mckenzie

Err...

I'd hardly call an entirely new version of iTunes and an update to allow HD streaming from iTunes to Quicktime as "fixes" but hey ho...

@John Fielder - let me guess, you're a comedian by day?

11. Joshua Lee
    Jobs Halo

apple has email bulletins

@Hud Dunlap

Apple has a security email list available, "security-announce", among many other mailing lists available from apple.com, as soon as security updates are offered emails are posted on it. Apple is very tardy at security fixes, but let's criticize them for actual failings rather than imagined failings, OK?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like