back to article Beauty contest judge canned for slamming 'munter' contestants

A beauty contest judge tasked with finding the sexiest fan of Millwall FC was given his marching orders after suggesting a large percentage of the contestants were tattoed "munters", the Daily Mail reports. London-based technician Joe Amphlett made the unfortunate remarks during an interview on Talksport radio. Specifically, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. DMJ

woah!

He was right.

2. Jesse
    Joke

Munters

What's so wrong with dehumidifiers? Gosh.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Jesus Christ!

The guy has more than a point! Those are beauty pageant contestants? In Turdistan, perhaps? Heck, they make Paris look like the ultimate goddess on earth.

4. J-Wick

Abbey's not bad...

I don't think any of the photos are particularly flattering, though...

5. Pete James

The Truth? You can't handle the truth!

Bloke decides to be honest. Bloke gets a kicking for it (how apt it's related to Millwall !)

Millwall reminds me a lot of Bradford. The women have better tattoes and moustaches than the men. Minty.

6. Sam

Yeeuch!

Ugly lights queens, or what?

7. Hrishikesh
    Coat

More Kate Moose?

So, would that be like Ms. Palin across the pond?

I need my coat to survive the chilly Alaskan winters ...

8. chris
    Thumb Down

Back to the 20th century, woohoo.

Beauty contests. Not adolescent sexist crap if you pretend it's not actually based on shallow, arbitrary and demeaning criteria, then.

But don't judge people on their looks alone, or they'll kick you off the panel.

Can't have it both ways.

9. Plankmeister
    Coat

Reminds me...

...of a song a friend of mine wrote at school. I can't remember the whole thing, but it started - quite unforgettably - like this:

Muntas, muntas, everywhere,

Big fat tits and greasy hair.

Still makes me lol when I see a fat greasy-haired munta. Which is a rare occurrence here in Copenhagen :D

10. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

I'm confused

Is munter very derogatory? Cuz if it is, that's fine. But if it isn't... I don't see why they would fire someone who's job it was to judge people on their looks when he did exactly that. So he finds a lot of the contestants fugly, big deal, he didn't single out specific contestants by calling them ogres.

11. Jason Harvey
    Coat

definitely...

some full bodied examples

mine's the one with the build in suspenders

12. Andre Carneiro
    Stop

Munters?

I think he was being kind, then... :P

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Munter

I think this is also German for monster or ignorant person...

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What the hell

... is a munter?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Make his words my words

'A lot of them have tattoos and I'm not keen on that. They turn me off. At the moment there's a lot of munters on there.'

16. Stephen ONeill
    Thumb Up

Its a...

Minger.

Munster.

Monster,

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That gene pool

bit shallow, is it? Lordy!

18. CTG

Munter

Must be a new word. I left the UK in 2001, and I had never heard it before coming out here to NZ. Down here (and across the ditch in the West Island), a munter is something totally different - a person of, uh, limited intelligence. It can also be used as an adjective in the form "munted", e.g. to describe a temporary state of limited brain capacity, as in "I'm totally munted after sculling those 12 Steineys last night".

There is a (male) character on NZ TV series Outrageous Fortune called Munter, because he's a bit of a dimwit.

Still, I guess it doesn't make it any more flattering to the young ladies if the down-under version of munter is used, does it?

19. ratfox

Behind the times

Poor man... Beauty depends on fashion, and like it or not, tattoos are fashionable. Don't like tattoo? Get out, you retrograde!

Apart from that, it's obviously stupid to call the contestants ugly. Did he really think the organizers were going to like it? "Gosh, they're all so cute, it's hard to choose" is what they wanted to hear... And yes, being honest was a bad move in this case.

As if honesty was compatible with media and marketing...

20. Terrence Bayrock
    Thumb Down

Finally.................

Someone who state the "obvious".

Tattoos on a beauty queen is an oxymoron.

Why any lass, who spends endless hours on trying to keep attractive, would deliberately disfigure herself is beyond my comprehension.

Or maybe it's just that I'm an old fart and can't stand the darn things (tattos that is).

21. Chris G

Six years out of the UK

And the English language has left me behind. By the way, munter in german means lively or merry, monster is Ungeheuer.

22. Alan
    Happy

@AC 18:20 GMT

"What the hell ... is a munter?"

The last bit of the article should give you a clue...

"Bootnote

For our extra-Blighty readers, munter = unattractive person."

23. Nordrick Framelhammer

You never know....

They may be doing it PC style and judging her "inner beauty".

24. Ed

lol Your all full of it

I think any self respecting geek would give em all a poke

MWhahahahahah

25. The Mighty Spang
    Paris Hilton

tattoos

i really don't get them. Why the fairer sex who would quite happily change their entire wardrobe every month would want to get branded with the same thing for life - it does not compute captain.

i mean look at charles petzold, with a circla windows 3.1 logo on his arm... how out of date is that?

tattoos are a fashion that changes every now and then, really leaving the owner looking sad. tribal tattoos on a bloke from stoke newington? do me a favour, get with the programme.

a few years ago it was peircings. at least you could take them out when you realised even your gran had one and they were talking about it on eastenders.

what's this current obsession with stars (tattoos of stars not paris love)? and latin quotes up the forearm? latin worn by a bloke who normally expresses views just right of the BNP is just sad.

tats are okish if you can design one yourself of sufficient quality. just doing "me too" to what a sleb is wearing...there are no words to explain how unhappy that makes me

26. Jeffrey Nonken
    Flame

Is it derogatory?

I did a Google for "munter slang" (no quotes) (because just "munter" got me a lot of information about dehumidifiers) and discovered that a "munter" in this context means an incredibly ugly woman.

Yes, it's derogatory.

I have to agree with the decision. It's arrogant as hell to assume that if you don't find a woman attractive that therefore she cannot be found attractive, and yeah, I'm probably talking to the majority of... Americans, anyway, and probably more. Whose tastes are definitive, anyway? Not mine. But the difference is that if I find a woman unattractive I don't insist that she's ugly. At most I'll say "she's not to my taste" or "I don't find her attractive." That's what's called "an opinion." Calling somebody ugly is a judgement, and I'll call you on it.

And we've been talking about women, but of course it applies to everybody.

OK, sorry for the rant. I've got more, but now isn't the time. :) My point? He could have expressed himself without being an asshole about it. But nooooo, he had to be insulting and derogatory, rude and disrespectful. I have no sympathy for his position.

27. Bad Beaver

Munter is not German for monster

German for monster is "Monster".

"Munter" is German for alert, brisk, chirpy, jolly, lusty, perky, vivid, etc., yet mostly used in the "alive and kicking" context.

A more proper translation of "munter" into German would be, judging by the pictures supplied, something in the line of, Gesichtseimer, Gesichtsgrätsche, Hackfresse, Hässlette or Bratze. Nothing of which would be considered all too kind, oh no, not at all.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Thick skinned, or just thick?

If this was a job interview or something then yeah what he said would have been bang out of order. But it's a BEAUTY CONTEST, how else were they expecting to be judged other than on their looks?? And I mean if it's simply a picture on a website then there's not even the chance to strut on a stage, say a few words about world peace, etc.

Paris, 'cos to be honest I think she's got something of the munter about her at times!

29. Jonathan Richards
    Thumb Up

Tattoos and judgements

@Spang: latin quotes are one thing, and Chinese/Japanese ideograms are another. I wonder how many people are walking around with risible Chinese fragments permanently etched on their anatomy, or worse proudly displaying the Japanese for "Round-Eyed Idiot". (Reminds me of a guy who maintained he made a living at one time generating Latin mottoes for dozy people having faux coats of arms made. One that I semi-remember was the phrase that the wannabe aristos thought meant "I have made my luck" (felix), but actually meant "I've put the cat out").

@Mr Nonken

> Calling somebody ugly is a judgement (sic)

Judgments are exactly what judges are called upon to make.

30. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Alien

Could have been worse

He could have called them Chavs, or Slappers.

I've seen some very attractive 'well filled' women as well as equally attractive slim ones. The examples shown were neither.

Can't understand why anyone would want a tattoo - male or female. I've never seen one that looked good, and after 20 years they all look utter shit.

Alien - cos some of them must be.

31. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

A critical eye

Michelle needs to practice smiling in front of a mirror. Props to Abbey for the football reference but the shirt doesn't work. Victoria needs to pose against a background she doesn't fade into, Amanda needs to change her shampoo and let someone help with her makeup.

Nobody ugly, just ... underpresented. Like Paris.

32. Simon Hildreth
    Thumb Down

Different rules different people

If this was Simon Cowell making this remark, and it was televised, he would of been praised for his honesty.....

33. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Jonathan Richards

The Latin example you cite is from Inspector Morse. Not that your friend didn't borrow it from there.

Another example was Ventosa Viri Restabit which becomes obvious when you realise that in Latin V is pronounced as W.

34. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Slight reword required

Find: tatoos

Replace: tramp stamps

Mines the ink free one

35. Les Matthew
    Thumb Up

@ratfox

Here's a fashion statement for you.

http://www.cantonese.sheik.co.uk/essays/tattoos.htm

36. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Tramp Stamps

Amen to that - it's always been a complete mystery to me, why people choose to disfigure themselves with risible little pictures of butterflies or try-hard "tribal" markings (not to mention dubious "eastern"-looking nonsense).

A common factor seems to be low socio-economic status and aspiration.

I seem to recall Henry Rollins' tattoos impressing me, but there's generally an exception to every rule, and your average tattooed illiterate toad isn't quite capable of pulling off a Henry Rollins look anyway.

37. mutt1170
    Joke

@GTG

The NZ version on Munter and the UK version are probably very closely related.

After all you would need to be "Munted" (NZ version) to pull a "Munter"* (UK version)

* Munter: noun, colloquial: a distinctly physically unattractive person - see also Twelve Pinter

38. Peter
    Thumb Down

Land of Munters!!!

A spade is a spade.. I agree with Joe and its not just a problem with Millwall FC but its hard to see any fit/attractive English birds these days as a LOT of them are indeed munters.

We need more Eastern European imports to make up for the munters.

39. TeeCee Gold badge

Munter

One likely to be only found attractive by munting afficionados:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=munting

"Unattractive" just doesn't quite cut it somehow in that context.

NB: Those about to or just having eaten should probably not follow that link.

40. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Truth hurts!

I've never seen "the brace of ladies" in question, but if they're anything like what typically passes for today's free spirited, young ladies, the like I see falling out on the pavements at chucking out time on a Friday night, then I can guess he's most likely right!

I think tattoos can look great, when they are done correctly, with the correct design in a place that is suitable, I have none but I respect you if you have the guts to have them done. Let me paint a typical modern image. You see some middle-aged, mother of three, bending over in WH Smiths, hipsters, thong on show and there right above her arse is dirty great, often faded, tribal mess just above the buttock cleft. It's only been inked about 2-3 years and already it's out of fashon and starting to smudge.

Sorry ladies, leave the tattoos to the rappers, rockers and members of the navy!

41. Jason

Oh Please

Someone post a link cos I cant find if on the site...

I could do with a laugh

42. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@AC Re: Tramp Stamps

"Amen to that - it's always been a complete mystery to me, why people choose to disfigure themselves with risible little pictures of butterflies or try-hard "tribal" markings (not to mention dubious "eastern"-looking nonsense)."

I agree. Only tats I would consider are Love and Hate on me knuckles.

43. roy
    Paris Hilton

SAY WHAT YOU SEE!

in the immortal words of Roy Walker...

...say what you see!

44. Jason
    Pirate

Enough Is Enough

I have 2 Tattoo's, Both are on my Legs where they can be covered if needed.

Large Dragon on my left Calf and the Symbol got Gemini from the Greek Mythic Tarrot Deck of Cards on my right Calf (My family is Greek).

I think Tattoo's on Women are ok but it is dependent on what & where they are. I know a Girl who has 14 and it just looks soooo wrong.

Some people get them to look "Hard" or "Tough" to these people i say "your trying to hard and just look stupid"

Just my opinion and I am sticking to it.

This topic is closed for new posts.