back to article BlackBerry redoubles iPhone challenge

As part of its ongoing effort to reinvent the BlackBerry as an iPhone-battling consumer-friendly handheld, Research in Motion has announced a bevy of new after hours services for its corporate email baby. A year after his other half announced a new Facebook app for the BlackBerry, co-RIM CEO Jim Balsillie turned up at the CTIA …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Franklin
    Dead Vulture

"You now have this rich connection [to MySpace]."

Oh, good! Does that mean folks will now start using MySpace as a platform to launch security attacks on BlackBerry phones, too? Whee!

You'll forgive me if I'm underwhelmed by this new announcement.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

myspace - on a BB screen?

every myspace page I've ever seen is about 20 feet wide and 49 feet tall - get that on a BB, I dare you!!

3. Jack Harrer
    Thumb Down

Re: myspace - on a BB screen?

I think you also forgot about 30 music videos (at once), some totally unneeded flash applets and sick, flashing colours...

But I agree with you - WE DARE YOU!!!

4. cd

Sounds like the whole company...

is rambling. Dissembling even.

5. Rick Dickinson

Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it...

"I think we've cracked the code of the smartphone flip," Balsillie said this morning. "It was considered uncrackable before."

I guess Balsillie has never heard of the Palm Treo 180, 270, or 300, then....

6. Mo

Re: myspace - on a BB screen?

It probably does it the same way MySpace for the iPhone (launched months ago, incidentally) does it: by not rendering any of the actual pages, and instead presenting the information from them within a useable native UI.

Indeed, the MySpace iPhone app is quite nice… at least, compared to actually having to use the MySpace site, at any rate.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Yawn

Rim once again trying desperately to stave off the creep of many flavors of smart phone into the markets it monopolized for so many years. Keep it up guys, maybe if you follow the M$ playbook and make piss poor knock offs of the technology and ideas for mobile devices that every other manufacturer is doing. You can then take back your hallowed space in the smart phone arena. Heh who am I kidding fat chance of that happening.

Coat please, mine is the one with the Treo in the pocket.

8. elder norm

Not sure if they will ever learn

Yep, Rim is getting better. They had to be dragged screaming and yelling. Doesent that just make you want to buy one. :-)

While I think RIM makes a good product, I do not see it as a real leader for the future. A good follower, yes, but not leading.

Just a thought.

en

9. Dave Bell
    Coat

Saw one second-hand today

Saw a Blackberry today in the local back-street phone store, second hand for what seemed to be an affordable price. But, looking at what it is supposed to do, and the space available to do it with, not for me.

(Yep, the Barbour, it has those nice big pockets)

10. Norfolk Enchants Paris
    Coat

The thing is

that I hate Blackberries not because they are over hyped pieces of 'look at me' -ness, nor because they aren't as good as some other things people love to hate (such as Windows Mobile 6 and Palm OS), nor because they are Canadian (which should be reason enough) and not even for their stupid corporate name which sounds like a gay pasttime, but because they use their own proprietary network to route all messages when there is abso-bloody-lutely no reason at all that this should happen.

I feel better now I have that off my chest. PS Agree totally with the sentiments of Mr Dickinson (if that's his real name) about the smart flip phone. I once had an awesome Kyocera Palm OS flip phone which I foolishly traded in on a preposterosuly large HTC Titan because the Titan had a colour screen and did Office... which I used about never.

Mine's the one with the 'Crack the Uncrackable' Blackberry-cracking 3-pound hammer in.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

FaceBerry - the fastest growing, most downloaded app?

Mebbe. But how many people actually DELIBERATELY downloaded it? It suddenly appeared on mine one day - can I get shot of the sodding thing? Can I berryberry... It can be hidden, but not uninstalled, it seems. Any suggestions, folks? (Voda 8310, if it makes a difference)

12. Dave
    Coat

Whats Myspace?

Honestly why would I want to use in on my electronic leash?

13. Ascylto

Another Triumph ...

for the Murdochs!

14. Bronek Kozicki

looking at these Treo now

.... but they do not seem to be flip phones in traditional sense. Yes, one can fold and unfold ... not the phone, but just the transparent cover. There does not seem to be any space saving from this.

15. Mick Sheppard

Swimming to catch the boat

Trying to catch Apple's App Store boat when you're swimming with no legs and a hand behind your back (look at the development platform for BB) is a bad move.

If RIM want to go down that area they need to revise their whole offering in that area, announce it and deliver on it. In the meantime they should concentrate on what they do best. This sort of move makes it look like they are afraid of the iPhone.

16. IHateWearingATie
    Stop

Business market?

MySpace. On a blackberry. Dear god.

I thought only kids used MySpace. I wonder how many business users will be whiling away the hours surfing myspace pages on their blackberry????

17. only me

re : The thing is

...which proprietary network would that be then?

18. Joe Montana
    Flame

Proprietary network...

Yeah, i had a blackberry before i got my iphone...

The idea that to get full functionality from it i would need to run their proprietary windows-only app, and interface it with a proprietary mail system (exchange, notes or groupwise?), or use their cut down bis service...

I don't want to pay extra for the proprietary mail server, the windows license to run the blackberry server on, not to mention the costs of all the hardware for running this...

Their service is quite fast for receiving mail, and the phones have good battery life, but i don't want to cache my imap password on their servers, or have to buy expensive software and servers myself... I already have IMAP, i should be able to run my own blackberry server on any system i want and interface it with my standard imap server...

Incidentally, there is an open source alternative to the microsoft activesync used by the iphone (z-push), but activesync doesnt work as well as the blackberry service seems to (battery life is terrible because it just polls repeatedly).

19. only me
    Thumb Up

re : Proprietary network...

ok, I understand now - the term "Proprietary network" was actually meant to refer to the (non-BlackBerry) proprietary OS, (non-BlackBerry) proprietary Mail server - perfectly clear now. I guess we can ignore the (non-BlackBerry) internet and (non-BlackBerry) cellular networks :)

20. Rasczak
    Thumb Up

@ Joe Montana

RIM now have Blackberry Unite available, this is basically a cut down version of BES that will talk to POP/IMAP servers rather than Exchange/Domino/Groupwise.

Of course it still needs to be on a machine which is running 24/7 to get your mail, but you can use a client OS rather than a server one, although it still needs WIndows.

21. EdWeb
    Thumb Down

Go on, put crap apps on there, but don't fix GMail!!!

Okay, so they find the time to code shite apps that waste time, but don't get round to introducing proper email syncing from Gmail account? What a crock!

Methinks they need to get their priorities clearer. Cocks!

22. Norfolk Enchants Paris
    Heart

@only me

Dear Only Me,

All emails to a blackberry go via RIM's servers in Canada. As these are black boxes and transfer data between devices, thereby forming a proprietary network.

Even if this were not so :

- they are still 'Look at me' devices to bolster egos or make up for inadequacies on other areas

- they are still over-hyped

- they are not as good as many other offerings

- RIM sounds like a gay pasttime. Can we all vote to call Blackberry users 'RIMmers' from now?

- They are Canadian

So please stop waving your little blackberry about, pull up your zipper, and move on quietly.

Love Heart because you may not have got enough hugs as a child. So here's one for you. NB That is not an invitation to RIM me, just so you know.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Norfolk Enchants Paris

Are you feeling all right?

24. Daniel B.

@Norfolk Enchants Paris

"- they are still 'Look at me' devices to bolster egos or make up for inadequacies on other areas

-they are still over-hyped

- they are not as good as many other offerings"

Are you talking about the BlackBerry? That sounds more like the iPhone. The only other smartphone I like is the Treo (PalmOS, please!) and, oh yeah, it has the same BlackBerry keyboard.

Whats wrong with Canadians? I for one am happy that these fine devices aren't from the US, at least that means my BIS isn't stuck with draconian US rights to read all my e-mail thinking I'm "Terry Wrist".

@AC FaceBerry - the icon that appears on your main screen isn't the app itself; it just means your service books have been updated and now include the app. Clicking on it will direct you to the "download link". I'm not about to bloat my BB with that thing!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like