back to article Google's Street View fleet - 100 spots and counting

We're tipping our hats today to vigilant Reg readers, who have so far contributed 100 sightings of Google's Orwellian Street View spycar fleet as it goes about its masters' dark business on the highways and byways of Blighty and beyond. For those of you not up to speed on this exciting operation, we asked you to send in snaps …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jiminy Krikett
    Alert

Nice!

Nice to see they have all the major(ish) cities in the UK covered, except the sodding CAPITAL of Wales... WTF Google, get it sorted!

2. Booty Inspector
    Coat

Wales?

I see they're not bothering with Wales then.

Mine's the sheepskin. Ta boyo.

3. Psmiffy

How to

I spotted one of these blighters down here in Germany, but alas I didn't have an appropriate camera with me.

Also, how does one update the alleged mash-up?

4. Robert Grant

Re: Wales?

That's being covered by Google Sheep View.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sunny in England

Was just wondering if they could apply a sun filter (sponsored by the tourist board). Anyone looking at streetview after the summer we've (not) had is going to think the whole of the UK looks pretty bleak and depressing!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spotted in Belfast

I spotted the google street view car in Belfast, but didn't get a picture which is why it doesn't appear in El Reg's map above.

Parts of wales may well be covered, it's just that no-one has taken a pic and sent it in!

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@debaser

It'll be the first honest thing to come out of England for a long time, run down, grey, backwards, depressing and oppressive in atmosphere. Come to England, you'll have a great time.

8. bluesxman
    Coat

"surveillance feedback loop"

And what about the first prosecution for someone driving without due care and attention because they've been snapped by Google snapping Google with their mobile while driving?

Big Brother watching you watching Big Brother watching you watching Big Brother [lather, rinse, repeat]

9. blackworx

Bomb Proof

Nice work. Can't help but notice one of the Dundee sightings is in the vicinity of the main city centre telephone exchange. Anyone else fancy hanging round a bomb-proof service infrastructure building, 500 yards from the regional Police HQ, with a giant black camera on a stalk and see how long they get away with it?

10. Michael Sheils

None spotted along the South Coast?

Most disappointing Google. :(

11. Daniel
    Coat

Glad to see that ...

... the Offas Dyke spycar scrambling field has been doing it's work!

Google found out what the Romans did - imported technology is no match for daffodil power and Feeling Fowl beer!

Mine's the one with the words to Cwm Rhondda in the pocket.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

no photo sadly

but then - it was pissing with rain so the googlehearse wasn't taking pictures either, awe bless - the black car with a black tripod carrying a black camera that was wrapped up in black tarpaulin... Hiding under the circular as it headed northwards onto the M56 towards Burnley at the junction of M60/M62/M56 north of Manchester on Friday JUST after noon circa 12:30.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Go

@Nice!

Don't feel left out. My old uni mate who's still stuck in there spotted one in Cardiff. No picture to prove it though :(

14. Jon H

South Coast?

How come not 1 sighting along the south coast? Not as though no one lives there with the likes of Brighton, Portsmouth, Southampton, Bournemouth etc...

Maybe Google thought they'd better get the North done first in the summer so when it's all flooded out, they can move to the dry warmer south!!!

15. radian
    Black Helicopters

spotted 10 minutes ago...

...driving down Chingford Avenue (London E4).

That's twice the bloody thing has got me.

16. Chris Whitcombe

Cardiff

Just sent in a few pics of street view car in Cardiff, didnt want wales to be left out!

17. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Blimey ...

One of the York shots looks like it was taken outside the Tesco at Clifton Moor - I'd hazard a guess that roughly 30 seconds after the photo was taken, the car was stripped down to it's subframe, propped up on bricks and any vaguely valuable bits flogged in the nearby pub by the local ne'er-do-wells ...

18. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

Black Opels?

Let me just check the URL .co.uk - Opels? oh you mean Vauxhalls

19. Mike Davies

Seen in Cwmbran

Don Steve of "The 'Bran" informs me that het and some friends managed some gesticulating at the Googlers in Cwmbran. Bet they get blurred out. P.S. No photo as they were to busy :)

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spotted in Forfar

By my parents driving down their street, gone before they found the camera, I live 2 streets away and they didnt consider phoning me to let me know it would prob be passing soon.....Grrr Otherwise could have added another car close to Dundee.

Plus the marker on the University of Dundee Campus is exactly where the new school of computing building is. 6 giant stacks of tyres, a mishappen car park and a few other comments I've heard bandied around, personally I think their new building ain't too bad, though haven't been inside despite being alumni (too busy slumming in retail work :( )

( www.computing.dundee.ac.uk if you want to see the building for yourselves )

21. Anonymous Coward
    Go

It's arrived in Wales

Spotted in Newport, South Wales too.

22. Mark Aggleton
    Thumb Down

Opels

@AC - The one spotted by Sean Purdy somewhere near Shoreditch is definitely badged as an Opel, not a Vauxhall even though it's on an 08 plate...

23. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

@AC

No they are imported opels look at the badges!

24. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

@surveillance feedback loop

oh dear thats me bolloxed then... you'll all get to see me peering out of the window at work then, following Gcar down the road (after I caught up with it..) and then parking up and setting my trap at the end of the dead end street while I got the cam out.... No I wasn't snap driving...

Anyway any of you snap drivers out there are sure to be ok, Fortunatly the plods cant prove your engine / handbrake state from a single still!

25. Simon Painter

Maidenhead

My cousin spotted it in Maidenhead according to his facebook status. I has asked if he as got a picture and will forward if he has.

26. Timbo

Streetview car near Cambridge, UK

Astra + camera on top, but no Google signs on doors, spotted driving North along Waterbeach High Street (in Cambridgeshire) at 10:15 am today....wonder if the camera was switched on as it passed, coz it would show me waving at it...!!!

27. Alistair Swanson
    Happy

Tesco carparks

Spotted one going backwards and forwards 3 times in the carpark at Tesco in Springburn, Glasgow.

Turns out they were just trying to park rather than streetview the whole carpark.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Spotted parked up for the night at a secret location a little south of Cambridge.

With a handwritten log on the front seat comprising columns headed:

Date | Time | Rain | Miles | Comments | Hours

Tis difficult to read the blue pen given my camera-phone quality, but definitely 160 miles on Tues 9th Sept, and 107 on Fri 12th. 7am starts. Up to 10-hour days.

29. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

More spottage in York ...

Saw one of the black Opels (yes, the cars *look* like Astras, but they're Opel branded) coming off the A64 south of York this morning. Same car was seen, shortly afterwards, wedged in the traffic on Tadcaster Road heading out of town. Ironically enough, it was in front of a drain-cleaning lorry belonging to a company called 'Search' :-)

No photos, unfortunately, as I was too busy being stuck in traffic myself.

This topic is closed for new posts.