back to article Scouse builders nab six millionth .co.uk domain

Merseyside building and shopfitting outfit Klassik Builders has registered the six millionth .co.uk web address. The earth-shattering internet tidings were brought by Nominet, the not-for-profit which is in charge of promoting and administering the .co.uk top level domain. It passed the five million mark in May last year, and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

dreadful stereotype mind slip

saw 'Merseyside' and read 'shopfitters' as 'shoplifters'

2. Steve Evans

I'm curious...

...to know how many of those domains are being squatted by sites that pretend to be search engines/content portals.

I can't remember the last time I followed a link on a page to find it now returned a 404... All I seem to find these days is some lame squatter.

3. Dillon Pyron

Six million?

Wow, that's almost as much as some cyber squatters.

4. AndyB

Ohhh.....

ShopFITTING!

I thought you said............

5. Lloyd

Stolen from PB but.....

Liverpool airport was closed for four hours today after police found a suspicious car parked outside.

It was taxed, insured and still had its radio.

Boom, boom.

6. David Lusby

I'm going back to 404

Touche Steve Evans - all the links on their site 404 apart from the home page.

I trust their building work isn't as sloppy...

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why .co.uk not just .uk?

Can anyone tell me why in the UK, we need the ".co" part of a ".uk" domain?

Every other European country just uses the last part, for example:

www.nokia.de

www.nokia.fr

www.nokia.es

but in the UK we have to have:

www.nokia.co.uk

rather than:

www.nokia.uk

what's the point of the ".co" bit? Why can't we register www.-----.uk domains?

8. John Stag

Why ".co.uk"?

>"Can anyone tell me why in the UK, we need the ".co" part of a ".uk" domain?"

Because there's also ".org.uk", etc.

See here for a complete list: http://www.nominet.org.uk/registrants/aboutdomainnames/sld/

9. Dave Aitken

Title

Nominet - not for profit, but fairly strict on administering sub-doamins of .uk

10. Julie Lowe

Klassikbuilder.co.uk

I would like to add, I am currently working on the klassikbuilders website, and as we only registered it last week it is not finished. The press release from nominet took us by suprise as we had no idea we were the 6 millionth! It will be finished in due course. My email address is at the bottom of klassikbuilders.co.uk if you would like to comment personally.

All 404's will be replaced by valid pages within the next few days. And their building work is excellent!

11. Albert

Web pages 404 - why...

I just read Julie Lowe's post on the 404 pages being fixed.

Having navigation to non-exiting pages or to page with no content to me is just frustrating.

If the page isn’t there don’t put in place the navigation.

If the page isn’t completed don’t put in place the navigation.

Nobody knows the page isn’t there until you tell them. Why encourage a bad experience.

Would you go to a restaurant and appreciate if over half the menu wasn’t available. May discourage you from going back.

How about going to shopping centre (Mall) and even though all the shops had store fronts, when you went into them they were empty.

To me this is the same as pages going 404 or empty pages.

Gripe over…

12. Jim

Re: Why ".co.uk"

Ok, so you can have quite a few combinations ending in .uk, such as .co.uk .org.uk .me.uk etc. But the point made was that you cannot have .uk on its own, unlike other ccTLDs.

Is there any 'real' reason why this is the case?

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Why ".co.uk"

.uk is by no means unique in only allowing registrations in the third level. You could also ask why Japan, South Korea, New Zealand, Israel, Brazil and Australia do similar things.

If you are given a domain to manage, you can decide to split it by usage or not. I think it is a good idea to have .mod.uk and .gov.uk quite separate from .co.uk and .org.uk.

This topic is closed for new posts.