back to article Sony recalls burning US laptops

Sony is recalling 73,000* Vaio TZ-series laptops sold in the US, as a possible short circuit of wires near the hinge could burn users. *The BBC reports 440,000 machines in the US and Japan are affected by the recall, but none in the UK. The US Consumer Product Safety Commission is working with Sony to get the machines back. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Kevin Johnston

Screw loose?

'nuff said

2. Mark

This is a test

Having followed the link in Sony's article to http://esupport.sony.com/fixmypc I am rewarded with the words "This is a Test" instead of a page where I can enter my Vaio's model and serial number.

Obviously they're just testing the recall mechanism, though why this would be necessary given Sony's track record is beyond me.

3. JCL

Piles

Not sure why, but from the headline I had visions of Americans burning piles of laptops a la John Lennon's "bigger than Jesus" upset.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sony strikes again.

Another reason i'm glad i made the choice to stop buying Sony.

If they aren't trying to install rootkits, they are making exploding batteries and laptops. Their quality control has gone to pot...

5. heystoopid
    Paris Hilton

Hmmm

Hmmm , SONY certainly gives new meaning to what is hot in computers of late quite literally !

As for crApple , what they think is cool is mostly uncool due to basic and inherent defects by deliberate intentional design .

Choices hot or uncool ?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Filter

Can we get a Webster filter ???

7. Andy Bright

Copycat

I suppose this gives some credence to Mac Users' claims that everyone copies Apple. I'm just surprised it took so long for a PC version of the Hindenbook to arrive.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@ Webster Phreaky

No doubt El Reg hacks and butche^H^H^H^H^H^H editors are at this very moment heatedly debating your comment on this article as ample prose for induction into FOTW archive legend.

Nicely done, you have this Anonymous Coward's vote.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Peoples still buy Sony product?

Court proven criminal: exploding battery, rootkit/virus infecting computers, illegal DRM scheme (Bluray). How on earth someone could be stupid enough to buy any sony product?

Sony is not legitimate anymore, they don't have any credibility left and their products lower the bar for quality every day....

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@cornz

So what DO you buy? Lets laugh when you tell us you have a Xbox360 and a Macbook Air (both infinitely less reliable than the Sony counterparts).

11. mittfh
    Flame

Design flaw?

Let me get this straight - a loose screw in the hinge can cause a short circuit? Surely that's a design flaw - even in laptops that are currently "healthy"?

Oh well, at least they're still concentrating on hardware - imagine the fun if they decided to write a WWW browser...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

Not just the USA

I'm UK based, and www.vaio-link.com has a link for the "Sony VAIO TZ Series inspection and rework programme" - and mine's affected!!

They have a voluntary "re-work" programme where they collect, jiggle with the internal wiring, and then return your laptop free of charge.

As the "recall" is voluntary, they seem not to be sending emails to inform customers of this potential trouser charring threat, so I'd suggest manually checking their web site...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like