back to article 3 punts mobile email for £2.50 a month

UK operator 3 is celebrating their first year of mobile broadband by launching a new data tariff of £2.50 for unlimited email use, though the price doubles to a fiver a month for suit-wearers using Exchange or Notes access. Both tariffs include a data bundle, 10MB and 1GB respectively, but the e-mail access is completely …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian Johnston Silver badge
    Alert

Are you sure?

Three have had two mobile email offerings for yonks: Mobile Mail, which gets you 10MB from your own pop server for £2.50 a month and Mobile Office Mail which gets 1GB from Exchange for £5 a month. This seems suspiciously close to what you're describing.

2. Piggy and Tazzy

@Ian J

I thought that too.

How very peculiar.

(not that you and I are peculiar, but the fact that I thought the same thing)

3. Chad H.

Pay more for different services

Nothing new. T-Mobile have "unlimited" web n walk at three levels, Handset Only (fair use 1gb), Handset and PC usage (No Voip, 3gb fair use limit), and Handset and PC usage (no restrictions other than 10gb fair use).

4. Will Sheldon
    Happy

Uuuh, ssh over port 993 anyone?

Forgive my stupidity, but doesn't this mean that you can just push all your traffic through an ssl tunnel, as long as it's remote endpoint is on port 993 (imaps)?

Just reconfigure those "ssl vpn's" that have become so trendy recently ;-)

5. Rob Crawford

Youngsters

Some of us are old enough to remember ftpmail

It was incredibly useful for busy FTP sites

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

@IanJohnston

It's similar but with the 10MB, that's all you get, 10MB. This new one gives unlimited email access with attachments included, they could easily be a lot more than 10MB. I originally had that and frequently went over but by paying a fiver, for the 1GB X-Series Sliver thing, I have never come close ,except for the times I've used it as a modem (which they don't like). I use it a lot every day for all sorts of things, reading ElReg, watching YouTube, banking, eBay, PrOn and use about half my allowance.

This service is for people who ONLY want to email and rather than pay a fiver for 1GB that they won't use, they pay half that so that they can email as much as they like. Personally I can't stand the MobileMail malarky and prefer checking my GMail account every couple of hours or so. MobileMail seems like it'd be ok for people who haven't heard of Opera Mini but if you use it why bother with Mobile Mail?

Paris, cos I'd pay £2.50 for unlimited access.

7. John Robson Silver badge

3 - Unlimited access to nothing.

All this assumes that there is any signal.

Never even managed to get a reliable voice signal from 3

8. Zmodem

tmobile again

£2.50 get you email, the web, and rss. and all you want, never been able to connect to ftp. so that probaly a flex account bonus

9. W
    Happy

"prefer checking my GMail account"

Yup.

£5 on 3-mobile gets you unlimited ("fair use") data. So for £2.50 you can use GoogleMaps,

All-in, I average £25pm and use my phone indiscriminately for calls, texts & data.

Woulda been the same on T-Mobile Web'n'Walk (and I nearly went with 'em) but 3 had the phone I wanted (SE K770i).

Reception is fine, btw. I've started reading the newspaper online on the train to and from work, GMaps has repeatedly proven to be dead useful (in conjunction with quickie web searches for postcodes), and of course, GMail is the icing on the cake.

Only small gripe is with the ubiquitous branded soft key shortcuts.

10. Zmodem

ive never had a nag from tmobile

and im alway updating Rss and emails. and browsing something when board. even watch spongebob all day here and there

11. Peter Diffey
    Thumb Down

three email

see the various posts on

http://www.recommendedbuys.co.uk/services/mobile-broadband-suppliers/3-mobile-broadband.htm

3 should be investigated for mis-selling of their broadband service, I very much doubt if the email offering will be any better

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

X Series Silver

To use the 'Mail on 3' after the freebie two week trial period you need an internet addon (Internet Max etc.) however it makes no mention of if you already have the X Series addons (for Skype etc.) which also include internet access. I have e-mailed 3 but have yet to receive a reply. Maybe The Reg! could find out?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like