back to article Sony coughs to third-gen PSP power problem

Sony has admitted that the new PlayStation Portable 3000’s brighter, richer display has shortened the handheld console’s battery life. PSP3000_LCD_01 The PSP-3000's brighter screen (bottom) cuts battery life by 20 to 30 minutes In an interview with website Gamespot, John Koller, Director of Hardware Marketing at Sony …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. TeeCee Gold badge
    Flame

Extended life battery.

Third party ones have been available since the original PSP went on sale. They all work on some variation of the "sodding great lump sticking out the back" principle.

Now, if Sony can manage to cram some extra power in the standard space, that'll be worth having.

Flames, because we're talking Sony and batteries here.

2. Boris Blank
    Thumb Up

Fair trade

Given the marked improvement in contrast shown on the pictures, the lower battery life is a small price to pay. The old PSP screen was pretty damn good already, so the new one should be fantastic.

3. Mark
    Gates Horns

DS POWER PROBLEM

http://tinyurl.com/5armka

Many people have problems even switching their DS on let alone powering it for longer than an hour!

Hahahaa PSP world dominance = SONY world dominance.

I get a warm feeling when i think of how great my new PSP will look after I've traded my old one in.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Batteries?

Jump on ebay and buy a cheap knock-off job from your favourite Chinese retailer, 20% the cost of a genuine Phony battery and now with added fire risk included! Seriously, I still have my original 1st gen PSP ( no dead pixels, touch wood and still going strong ) and I simply bought another battery with double capacity of a standard Phony battery, from everyone's favourite tat market for a fiver, I get about 4-5 hours out of it.

Sod this battery nonsense, what we really want to know is when the knocked-off firmware for the new 3000 is going to come out!

5. dervheid
    IT Angle

@Mark

And I'll bet there's just as many people with 'problems' with a PSP.

Brighter screen = shorter battery life?

Meh, big deal.

6. Rhyd

RTFA

@AC - "conviently failed to mention the difference between PSP2000 and PSP3000"

FTA: "The PSP-3000's brighter screen (bottom) cuts battery life by 20 to 30 minutes"

Is it just me, or does the bottom one look darker?

P.S. I'm fairly sure "conviently ", "sacrafice", "journellism" and "teh" aren't real words.

7. Simon C

@ AC

I can see observation is not your forté either. the fact that below the psp images is a comment stating the difference with battery life between the two screens, obviously escaped your observant ways.

just because a reg hack doesnt produce an article that conforms to your obviously elitest requirement doesnt mean the the world + dog is not interested.

go back to your rock you troll.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@Mark.

Wow. Just Wow. Did mummy only let you have one handheld console?

9. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Dave Webb
    Heart

Wow... feel the love...

Did I miss the email about joining the Sony fanclub?

What is it with Sony that brings out the rabid fans? Why must every negative story be slapped down, why must every positive one be hailed as proof of Sony's superiority?

Sony are just a company, that wants your money. Like every other company.

Get over yourselves, please!!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Dodgy pic

Is it just me, or does the picture showing the clearer brighter screen a bit suspect. The glare from the lamp is the main issue with the top psp, not the screen brightness. Seems like a carefully placed light source slightly over the top one, and a carefully angled camera (directly over the bottom psp to reduce glare from the light source) is exaggerating the "niceness" of the bottom psp.

This seems more like an Apple trick than Sony, but Sony being the root of all evil since killing liksang and paying for rootkits, I can't say I'm surprised.

12. paul
    Go

@DAVE WEBB

Good post. Heres my take on m$

What is it with MS that brings out the rabid fans? Why must every negative story be slapped down, why must every positive one be hailed as proof of MS superiority?

M$ are just a company that wants your soul. Unlike every other company.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Real question..

.. when will the PSP3000 become Pandora-able. Not even considering buying one until then!

Anonymous, cos, y'know. Pirates are bad m'kay..

14. Iain

@Dave Webb

Microsoft and/or Nintendo have been secretly employing Mark and countless others to make the Internet at large believe only obsessive nutters would buy Sony products.

At least, that's my conspiracy theory based on the evidence we regularly see here.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well it is only half an hour and look at the difference

I like stories like this, they keep people informed.

The difference is not that off putting though, and hopefully advances in battery technology will help, but yeah improve the brightness and you use more power so there you go.

Looks nice though.

16. Dave Webb
    Thumb Up

@paul

Thank you for proving my point!

Where did I say 'owt about microsoft? Or any other company apart from Sony?

Maybe we should all get anti-sony comments vetted by commitee before posting?

17. John H Woods Silver badge

still got the stupid off-on-hold switch? and is it louder

I love my PSP-2000 but there is one thing that drives me nuts. It is almost impossible to take it off hold (when using it as media player or internet radio for instance) without powering it off. terrible. And the speakers are too quiet -- Go Explore turns it into a very capable sat nav but you'd have to be driving a rolls to hear the instructions over the sound of the engine.

18. Schroeder

@Dave and @Iain

And thank you for proving his ... I presume that's because your masters would like all anti-Microsoft comments vetted on their stories. Thanks for giving a perfect example of the Microsoft reverse troll ...

Oh and Iain, the most obsessive trolls are employed by MS, to try and convince the world at large only strange outsiders use anything other than Microsoft products. But then you already knew that.

As for the PSP. Brighter screen, shorter battery life, my god I'm shocked! Yet another Reg troll to bring in the page hits. And yeah, I know, I played too..

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

re: Real question..

Of course it won't. Why do you think Sony are introducing a new revision so soon after the PSP2000?

Clearly the internals have changed to prevent the rampany piracy that is killing the platform.

If you want a PSP for Piracy, you'd better buy a PSP2000 now, whilst you still can. However I suspect you won't and then join the "Lost out club" along with PS3 PS2 BC crowd.

Those that wait, lose out..

20. Anonymous Coward
    Stop

So when do we get a retraction then James?

It's been confirmed this article is total tripe (usual James Sherwood nonsense).

The PSP3000 has the same battery life as the PSP2000. Sure the screen draws more current (where the original "news" source cames from), but the internals have also been changed to compensate with a dieshink CPU.

Of course there won't be a retraction, because James is a rampant fanboy...

21. Tony Smith, Editor, Reg Hardware (Written by Reg staff)

@AC

There won't be a retraction, because Sony hasn't confirmed their executive *didn't* say the new model exhibits a reduced battery life when compared to the previous model.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like