back to article Verizon boss: Yahoo! email hack 'is a big deal to us', we'll decide new price next month

Verizon is going to decide how much it is willing to pay for Yahoo! next month when an investigation into its massive security breach is completed. Speaking at Intel Capital's Global Summit in San Diego on Monday, Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam said that the breach last month, which saw 500 million people's email accounts …

1. J. R. Hartley

Why?

I still don't understand why they want to buy Yahoo(!). It's a liability at this stage. And the future looks bleak in the long term.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Why?

It perplexes me too.

We're - well, I'm obviously not smart enough to be CEOs.

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Why?

Because Yahoo! owns 15% of Alibaba, which is

1) "worth" round about 30 billion USD

2) more than just a foot into the door of the Chinese market

2. Speltier

Trialing 5G...

"Verizon is trialing 5G base stations from 200 feet to 2,000 meters away from homes."

They will cherry pick rich dense neighborhoods and fail to deliver to most of the customer base just like with FIOS-- while huge swaths of POTS just rots off the poles without even DSL. Until finally Verizon finds someone to pay to take the legacy copper off their hands.

Having said that, what is needed is not bandwidth but QoS in the form of low latency. They should charge extra for tiered low latency QoS, never figured out why those purveyors on the bleeding edge didn't skim some cash off the top that way until the competition catches up and everyone races to the bottom.

1. Charles 9

Re: Trialing 5G...

Latency cannot be entirely controlled because most of it is down to physics: speed of electricity and all that. Even light takes a measurable fraction of a second to travel a few thousand miles, and that's impossible to remove.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

We should

Have a reg whip around. We can beat whatever price Verizon will offer.

That way we can asset strip it and rid the internet of Yahoo cancer.

We could also give the tramps and vagrants running El Reg enough money to buy an SSL certificate, dictionary and pay them to troll Apple patents on our behalf.

1. Charles 9
      Joke

Re: We should

And then the fundraiser finishes and you end up with, what, £240.

Oh...

Who's up for an all nighter?

(Based on an LA show I watched featuring a fundraiser to supposedly save their show that ended at about $150. The host finally went, "Who's up for Vegas?")

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like