back to article Sony Ericsson delays Windows phone to Jan 09

Has Sony Ericsson's eagerly awaited Windows Mobile smartphone, the Xperia X1, been delayed? The company's own website says it has. A trip to the Sony Ericsson "official e-shop" and its Coming Soon section shows the X1 listed with a release timeframe of "January". Unless the handset's development has gone very much awry, that …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. eddiewrenn

Damn

I'd be gutted as I'm waiting for this phone... Luckily my upgrade doesn't click in until March!

2. Surur
    Stop

Its showing up on Vodafone as coming soon...

in October too.

http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=718

3. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Insanity

Why would anyone sane want a phone with Windows in it? Will they sell an add-on Ctrl-Alt-Del keypad for it?

"We think you are trying to make a phone call. Do you want us to help you learn how to do that? To make a phone call you need to make a call and talk (item 222884993300022 on the Windows knowledge database). Please contact our team to let them know if that was helpful."

"Hello. Activated. Are you still there? I see you. Do you need help? Ayiiii... General protection fault. Good night."

4. Brian Miller
    Stop

Why Eddie WHY??

Combining the two most proprietary technology companies, microsoft and sony.

Even the iphone looks like a better deal, and that is terrible.

What have you done for me lately Eddie?

5. Ben Bradley
    Stop

Windows mobile?

Damn. I've got a P1i and it's fantastic.

So does this mean Sony's jumping off Symbian? Or will this just be a 1off Windows Mobile phone?

Didn't Sony buy Symbian last year?

Small rant about the SE P1i though...

There's a few things that should be more customisable with the Symbian UIQ3 OS that's installed on the P1i, and also the Opera Mobile browser doesn't let you customise to my complete satisfaction.

Also the reliance on the touchscreen is very annoying. Yeah it's all very cool and does work well, but there are some functions that can only be done with the touchscreen.

Plus, I wish all phones came with a 3.5mm jack for regular headphones as standard. Until then, I just won't be using my phone for music (again).

However this is still the best phone I've ever owned. ActiveSync support is outstanding!

6. Bad Beaver

Tony...

you're the only one eagerly waiting for it. Seriously, it's just another Winmobile Phone. Which adds another negative to the fact of it coming from the company that over and over again proved that they are unable to get any 1st gen smartphone to work properly. We have also seen said company delay phones for up to two years which then did not work properly on release. If you are so keen on a Winmobile device—for whatever reason—with a slide-out keyboard, just go and pick one up, there's plenty.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Cool phone

Brian Miller:proprietary? its Sony and its using SDHC cards! 3.5 mm audio jack...!

ALL: I had SE P800 and at that time touch screen was miracle for me.. i immediatelly started coding for symbian.. then i learnt its not compatible with nokia symbian phones and later on even between SE own models:(

Then I got first windowsMobile phones and coding was free and easy ... and also because of that iam staying with windowsmobile. iPhone is nicer and easier to use... however WM offers best flexibility of what u can do with your "phone" i had no stability issues with WM phones... looking forward to SE X1 phone!!!!

8. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Thumb Up

I was waiting for this too...

But then I got fed up and bought the 16gb Samsung Omnia instead which is fantastic.

I was quite interested in the HTC Touch Diamond Pro with the slide out keyboard but I couldn't get a hands on demo anywhere as the reviews have been fairly love/hate in tone.

9. William Old
    Gates Horns

@AC "Cool phone"

> however WM offers best flexibility of what u can do with your "phone"

It also offers the maximum flexibility of what everyone else in the world can do with your phone... imagine, an embedded OS that is designed to offer the security vulnerabilities of ActiveX in particular, and the Windows OS in general... nightmare!

Clearly, the phone can't launch until it works at least 95% properly, and based on Windows, that might well still be a long way off...

Windows for mobiles is like carthorses for the Grand National...

10. Paul Stephenson
    Thumb Up

@Vlad

By the sounds of it you've obviously never actually used a WM device. I currently have the O2 XDA Mini-S, great little device (although Icould use it to rob car's, being somewhat of a brick). This looks like a tempting upgrade, I like the look fo the design. Shame the onboard memory sucks a bit at 400mb, given the current level of memeory in the n95/iPhone/insert other here - but SD is cheap, and removable.

Omnia does look very nice too.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A few points

@Brian Miller: Sony Ericsson != Sony

@Ben Bradley: No, Sony didn't, Nokia did buy it recently though.

SE have said that this will be a range and not all of them will have Windows, some will have Symbian too. However, HTC seem to be preparng a similar styled device which at this rate will be out before this one is anyway.

12. OrsonX
    Unhappy

Noooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!

I am also waiting for this phone. I thought September was too late, then I hear it's gonna be November and now 2009, jeez!

Can't wait that long for my tech fix, might have to go back to plan B or C (the Omnia and the iPhone respectively).

If Sony make us wait soooo long then they deserve to lose, even Nokia seem to have finally got their finger out and will be releasing the Tube before Xmas.

13. Mark

I was possibly waiting for this . . .

But Samsung beat them to it with the Omnia - get one they're great. Couple of minor niggles but nothing deal breaking.

14. Dave Clarke 5

Still waiting patiently....

And i've just spoken to my local vodafone shop who are expecting them in on 5th October 08. Fingers crossed.

15. Robert Bollen

SE Website announces 8th October release

If you take a look at SE's link

http://www.se-store.co.uk/index.cfm?objectid=27157A31-3005-BC7A-20179276E84F64AB&pid=C6A3403C-1372-3F50-72B525B731F38B93

It actually states the release date

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like