back to article Bloomberg kills Steve Jobs

Bloomberg yesterday dispatched Apple supremo Steve Jobs to the hereafter with a 17-page obit inadvertently published during an apparent update, Gawker reports. The short-lived homage - quickly pulled - contained a heartwarming tribute from Bill Gates who described Jobs as the best inspirational leader he'd ever met, while the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Dangermouse

How much am I bid?

That Webster's gleefully commented within the first 10 posted? Anyone for a pony?

2. Mike Crawshaw
    Joke

I bet...

it's a more complimentary obit than Webster will give him come the time!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

You have to be kidding!

17 bl**dy pages?!?!??!?!?

The world [hopefully just Bloomberg, but I suspect not] has gone completely mad. <sigh>

Coat, just because it really is getting to the time to leave the planet.

4. Jolyon Ralph
    Thumb Up

iDead

That's all you'd need for an obituary here.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Jobs Halo

Oh My God! They've killed Kenny!

If he invented the Jesus phone, does that make him God?

Not sure which icon to use, depends if he's going to Heaven or Hell.

6. Charles
    Stop

A training article?

Word to the wise: don't put trainer computers on the same network as the main works.

7. Law
    Jobs Halo

17 pages

?! :o

8. D@v3
    Dead Vulture

Why??

I feel the need to ask, why was there an obit that could be 'accidentally' posted?

Do they keep 17(!!) pages worth lying about waiting for when the inevitable comes, the mans not known to be short of life...........is he??

Or was this the work of some iHater, wishing the worst on the man, because his iPhone credit check was refused

9. Mad Hacker
    Jobs Halo

Darn. Gawker redacted stuff.

I really wanted to know Alisa Bushnell's cell phone so maybe I could compliment her Dad on the 2600.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

Apples stock

Has just dropped a load. It's gonna crash and burn completely once he really is dead. He is the only driving force behind the company, without him - no company.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's happened before

The news media have obits kept ready and updated in case somebody in the public eye dies (I was going to say "somebody significant" but then I engaged the old grey matter). More than once obits have been published by accident, sometimes completely without thought and sometimes because somebody with a similar name has popped it.

TV stations often keep videos up to date and regularly edited for the big names. I'll guarantee that the major TV stations have got full length documentaries ready to roll on the likes of the Queen and Gordo just in case.

12. Tim Bergel
    Jobs Halo

@D@v3

News organisations produce and periodically update obituaries of well known (and still alive) people so that they can produce it sharpish when a celeb shuffles off this mortal coil. And every now and then this happens...

13. Charles

@D@v3

A similar situation occurred some months ago. It was a fake obit for a notable personality that got accidentally posted on a news site. Turned out the fake article is used for training purposes to help newcomers get used to the system. Somehow, the training article got leaked into the mainstream feed. When the goof was discovered, the decision was made to move training computers off the network to prevent it from happening again. Thus my line earlier:

"Don't put trainer computers on the same network as the main works."

14. Law
    Jobs Horns

ashamed

I decided to read it.... I need to shower now... the only thing it said is that he is a power hungry tosser, who parks in handicapped spaces, despite having the power to have a named space closer to the building if he wants, and that he gets paid way too much for what he does. Before reading it, I neither liked or disliked him.

Personally... if I had the billions he has, and had a cancer scare - I would just retire and spend more time with my family/friends... unfortunately, no matter how much code I write for people I will never be in a position where I could just make that sort of decision... :(

15. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@ dangermouse

"...How much am I bid? ... That Webster's gleefully commented within the first 10 posted? Anyone for a pony?..."

you lose. maybe he's asleep?

16. CrustyPlugweed

Not just obits

I recall that there are designs for commemorative stamps in readiness at all times. One secure printing press (currency, passports, stamps) I visited had the designs for the Queen Mum (before she died).

17. mutt1170
    Gates Horns

He's NOT dead?

Damn damn damn -says Bill!

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

13 and no WP

You would lose your ill considered bet, for my money we never see him again.

19. TimM

Mrs T

Ready to roll soon must be the very well prepared ones for Thatcher. I mean, they're already discussing the funeral!

Though they must be (in the UK at least) struggling with how far to go given the inevitable negative public reaction.

"the mans not known to be short of life...........is he??"

Well, the press tend to know a lot more about people's health than most. Apart from having had pancreatic cancer there are a lot of signs he's not doing too well. Of course you always get denials until they finally admit their time is up.

20. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A previous early obituary

http://www.oftwominds.com/journal/protagoras12b-07.html

21. Professor Quatermass
    Jobs Halo

Steve died and was reborn

Courtesy of Bloomberg. Who knew it would be responsible for the Resurrection?

22. Red Bren
    Coat

@TimT

"Ready to roll soon must be the very well prepared ones for Thatcher. I mean, they're already discussing the funeral!"

When Thatcher finally goes, there will be two queues at her grave - one for mourners, one for dancers.

Mine's the one with the Elvis Costello cassette in the pocket

23. Dave Murray
    Jobs Horns

50 Quid & A Shotgun

Just say the word... I'll make sure it wasn't a mistake.

24. Sam

OH BUGGER.

WEBSTER WILL BE DISAPPOINTED...

I'LL COME BACK LATER, THEN.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He did die

But since he is Jesus he rose from the dead. He died for all of your computing sins. The next version of OSX will wash away the sins of geeks every were .

26. Tony

I didn't get where I am today....

Perhaps he is going to do a Reggie Perrin?

Marvelous..Super!

(exit to the sound of a whoopie cushion)

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Heh.

"Hi. We have hijacked your CEO... Please pay to us $50 000..."

28. Graham Lockley

@Red Bren

>When Thatcher finally goes, there will be two queues at her grave - one for mourners, one for dancers.

I seem to recall a certain well known novelist saying he planned to p*ss on her grave but he would have to take a step ladder because it would be 6 feet deep by the time he got his turn.

'We'll stand there laughing and stamp the dirt down' - The Real Elvis

29. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@law

Yeah, I read it and I feel all dirty, too... How much you want to bet that the writer of the obit gets a free iPod?

30. iSuff44
    Stop

Are Microsoft behind this?

New lows to promote Vista shocker!!!!

31. TeeCee Gold badge
    Happy

Re: It's happened before.

Nah, for Gordo they'll have the clip from "The Wizard of Oz" where all the Munchkins run around singing "Ding dong the Witch is dead".

Also, many thanks to Google ads for putting an offer of a university course in grief counselling above this article. Best laugh I've had in ages.

32. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

@ jim the SHOUTER

"... THIS IS ISNANE

By JIM THE BOSS

STEEVE JOBS IS NOT DAED I JSUT HAD LAUNCH WITH HIM IN FCAT HE JUST LE ME KONW JIM THE BOSS GOIG TO BE MAGANING THE ISTORES OVERE THERE IN GRATE BRUITAIN THE FRIST THIG IM GONIG TO DO IS START CHRAGING AMRERICAIN DOLLARS FOR STIUFF I CNAT MAKE HAEDS OR TAILES OUT OF PUONDS AND FRANKS...."

wow! i really hope you were taking the piss there. if not - congratulations! you are undoubtedly the most illiterate person on the entire intarwebs!

... and that is up against a collossal amount of competition!

33. Daniel B.
    Dead Vulture

Re: It's happened before.

One of our news sites in Mexico did something like this a couple of years ago. We found an article saying that Pope John Paul II had died from [something] at [time] yesterday.

Looks like someone had put the template into the live system, as the placeholders were still in place, just like this obit.

Oops!

34. Kevin P.
    Linux

....... Hm .......

....... ....... ...................... It was before his time.

35. pctechxp
    Coat

@It's happened before

Lets hope Apple does crash and burn or maybe it'll Googled (like being borged except you become part of the Google collective)

Google have already come up with iGoogle, maybe the iPod will come with Google Maps and Wi-fi as standard after its assimilation.

Shows you what a lame company it is if it all hangs on one man.

Mine's the one with Tux crapping on an apple on the back on one side and the Windows flag on the other

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like