back to article US Congress seeks small claims track for copyright claims

The US Congress has published plans backed by both main US parties to reform the Copyright Office - and it wants your views. Amongst the proposals is a small claims track to make fighting The Man easier. Technology has allowed millions more people to share their craft, but most independent creators can ill afford lawyers. The …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cue automated and easy-to-use applicationn ...

... for filing bulk claims against YouTube.

2. BebopWeBop
    WTF?

Seems counterintuitive given where the funding for those parties come from..... Can't imagine that they had a crisis of conscience either....

3. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Thumb Up

If Google and lawyers don't like it

then it's probably a very good idea.

4. Nunyabiznes

Seems like a step in the right direction. What am I missing?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$89 dollar holocaust coat.

Hey look, I want my $89 now! Oh, you ripped me off for more than that, well I can't afford to defend myself.

As usual, have fun storming the castle!

United States of Business

6. Version 1.0 Silver badge

Could things get worse?

While this sounds like a good idea, making it easier for the little guy to sue the big corporations, I can see a situation where the lawyers build a database and then sue everyone who ever "liked" Grummy Cat without permission.

7. tiggity Silver badge

Copyright Alliance

Full of a host of big corporations, infamous for sending down dubious takedown requests against parodies, short clips as part of wider discussions pieces and other things that fall within US fair use laws.

e.g. topically in the Reg, albeit not copyright, HBO is part of Time Warner which is part of CA,

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/08/winter_is_coming_hbo_dmca_trademark/

But Mr O hates Google with a passion & loves anyone antii Google so goes along with the Disney I want maximal copyright to exist until the heat death of the universe approach crowd despite it shafting content consumers big time.

8. Alan Brown Silver badge

....IF....

There would be statutory damages for bad faith Sect 512 notices and allows non-resident claimants, then this would work.

Otherwise I can see the whales steamrollering anyone who kicks back in court (NB: if gootube takes down a video under Sect 512, the bad faith notice is from XYZcorp, most likely in a different country to whoever uploaded it.)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon