back to article Finnish blogger amputates Google from Google

Getting a head start on the world's antitrust regulators, an astute Finn is offering a bastardized version of Google's search engine that ignores sites served up by Google itself. Inspired by a recent New York Times piece that questioned whether the Mountain View search monopoly is morphing into a media company - which it is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jimbobmcgee

And...

Google Shopping minus Ebay.

2. Neil Greatorex
    Coat

@ Now all we need is Google minus Wikipedia. ®

Nope, Google minus the shite "price comparison" scraping sites is what I'd like.

Bye

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I'd call it Google minus the Goo he said with gle(e)

Damn I'm funny .

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

@Neil Greatorex

Good grief!!! You read my mind!!! You must be a psychic!!!

Seriously, though, I too would like to have that kind search site. Add to its feature to completely exclude store sites (if that's even possible).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Alien

Not to forget ...

Google minus Scientology ...

6. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

GiveMeBackMyGoogle

@AC and Neil Greatorex

You want www.givemebackmygoogle.com - "Google without the annoying affiliate links"

7. Mike Powers

Neil: I agree

It's completely useless to use Google to look for information about consumer electronic equipment. You get two hundred scraper sites and an eBay link.

I would not be at all surprised if we learned that Google was providing most of the funding for Wikipedia. Wikipedia frees Google from the need to improve its results! If you use Wikipedia for the general-knowledge lookup, then Google doesn't have to do any work to filter out scrapers from its search results...

8. Hipster Dufus
    Happy

CustomizeGoogle Firefox extension

You filter out as many domains as you like with the above add-on.

9. Darren Bell
    Thumb Up

Google minus Shoppinf Sites

Now that would be cool.

10. Neil Greatorex
    Paris Hilton

@ Hipster Dufus

Sorry Hipster, I refuse to use Crapfox, have been an Opera user for more years than I care to remember, occasionally try the oppo, but always come back.

You can always use the host file authored by Mike Skallas to block stuff, (http://everythingisnt.com/hosts) but then how would we be able to read El Reg FOR FREE (sorry about the American caps lock lapse) without advertisers :-)

Paris, as she loves mushy peas :-)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Even more useful

... would be to be able to suppress results from known link farms and, optionally, shopping sites.

12. Henry Wertz Gold badge

Look up --^

"... would be to be able to suppress results from known link farms and, optionally, shopping sites."

Look up ---^ a few posts. It looks like www.givemebackmygoogle.com does just this. And, since it just goes to google and the syntax for blocking sites is visible, it looks easy to just add more sites and make your own custom block list.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cool

Now all he has to do is filter out wikipedia mumbo jumbo and stop serving links in an iframe and it might be good.

14. Jims
    Thumb Up

What we really need is...

Google minus experts-exchange

15. OneArmJack

@jimbobmcgee

item -ebay does the trick

16. Richie

Conflict

"The ads on the Google minus Google are tied to my AdSense account and the usage of their logo was against the AdSense terms of service."

So, we remove one conflict of interest and replace it with another. Smashing!

17. rory alsop
    Thumb Up

@Mike Powers

I use google for finding consumer electronic items at least once a week and find it astonishingly easy to avoid the price scraper and ebay results. A one-off, 5 minute investment of your time to target your filters and you'll be done! Or there is givemebackmygoogle, but you have less control over the filtering there.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Google minus Google

Ads by Google.

Nice.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Alert

RE: Google minus experts-exchange

Are you mad!

EE is sooo useful - even if you are not registered the google results page has the answers for free at the bottom... shhh dont tell them!

20. Greencat

@Jims

Google minus Experts Exchange:

http://www.google.com/coop/cse?cx=001127977917864091225:atbt0vpbssa

21. dodge
    Joke

Objoke -- why not call it Googless?

You know... googless... like legless. Geddit?

Never mind.

22. mitch

Customize Google FF plugin

Another vote from me- fantastic

23. Gavin Pearce
    Joke

Ah this solves one problem! IT Crowd...

Ah a fix for the old Google problem then ...

"With all due respect John, I am head of IT, and I have it on good authority

If you type Google into Google you cannn break the internet"

It's not a laughing matter, you can break the internet.

Legendary ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKAq_FNHh0k

24. sauerkraut
    Stop

did you know

if you type google into google-minus-google you can actually break the internet!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like